British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   reprting someone to the tax and vat guys in spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/reprting-someone-tax-vat-guys-spain-786171/)

sensationalfrog Feb 4th 2013 12:52 am

reporting someone to the tax and vat guys in spain

ok,here goes,my wife has worked for a couple for 4 years,they seem to have blagged their way for the last 12 years running a bar in Fuenguirola,in that time,they have paid no tax,vat,social security etc,they dont have an accountant and all bills that come in the bar ,when paid just go in the bin, and got away with it for this time,now they are trying to sell a lease that they dont have as the guy they bought the lease from 12 years ago has died,but 5 years ago they moved to another place he owned,3 doors down and as trade has gone down,they have given my wife one weeks notice,maybe 2 weeks if the sun shines as they have decided to rent a new smaller place in Los boliches,the guy thinks if he moves he can stay under radar

now,I am not after trying to get my wife some kind of recompense for lack of contract,what annoys me is that this couple have got away with abusing the system for so long so what I am asking,who should I contact, and as they have got away with it for so long,would anyone be interested,do hacienda speak english,INEM.would they be worth a call,yes I am a grass but if you saw the hygene standards in this bar,despite my wifes best efforts you to would want these people sorted out.

like I say my spanish is not great so any advice would be helpful,this place has been full of too many scumbags with no training running bars,like the brits that drive around in illegal cars,they all think they are beyond the law,i want to do my little bit,just need direction

cheers

billymacker Feb 4th 2013 1:47 am

Re: reporting someone to the tax and vat guys in spain

Originally Posted by sensationalfrog (Post 10523150)
ok,here goes,my wife has worked for a couple for 4 years,they seem to have blagged their way for the last 12 years running a bar in Fuenguirola,in that time,they have paid no tax,vat,social security etc,they dont have an accountant and all bills that come in the bar ,when paid just go in the bin, and got away with it for this time,now they are trying to sell a lease that they dont have as the guy they bought the lease from 12 years ago has died,but 5 years ago they moved to another place he owned,3 doors down and as trade has gone down,they have given my wife one weeks notice,maybe 2 weeks if the sun shines as they have decided to rent a new smaller place in Los boliches,the guy thinks if he moves he can stay under radar

now,I am not after trying to get my wife some kind of recompense for lack of contract,what annoys me is that this couple have got away with abusing the system for so long so what I am asking,who should I contact, and as they have got away with it for so long,would anyone be interested,do hacienda speak english,INEM.would they be worth a call,yes I am a grass but if you saw the hygene standards in this bar,despite my wifes best efforts you to would want these people sorted out.like I say my spanish is not great so any advice would be helpful,this place has been full of too many scumbags with no training running bars,like the brits that drive around in illegal cars,they all think they are beyond the law,i want to do my little bit,just need direction

cheers

bet you would not be saying that if your wife still had a job, she has been there 4 years why did you not report them before. get over it and move on.

Dxf Feb 4th 2013 6:42 am

Re: reprting someone to the tax and vat guys in spain

Hi

There is never a bad time to start going on the "straight and narrow" and trying to make the world a fairer place BUT do you have any actual proof that they haven´t paid bills etc (that would stand up in a court of law)

Davexf

avocados Feb 4th 2013 7:35 am

Inspeccion Trabajo at your local INSS office is the place to go.

But be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot. They could easily decide that your wife is self-employed and therefore owes 4 years of social security payments plus penalties.

The Brits love to boast that they're paying no tax, etc. The reality is usually different. The Spanish are the ones who pay no tax, if they can get away with it!! Why do you think that it appears no one is working in Spain?!!

me me Feb 4th 2013 8:01 am

Re: reporting someone to the tax and vat guys in spain

Originally Posted by sensationalfrog (Post 10523150)

now,I am not after trying to get my wife some kind of recompense for lack of contract,what annoys me is that this couple have got away with abusing the system for so long so what I am asking,who should I contact, and as they have got away with it for so long,would anyone be interested,do hacienda speak english,INEM.would they be worth a call,yes I am a grass but if you saw the hygene standards in this bar,despite my wifes best efforts you to would want these people sorted out.

like I say my spanish is not great so any advice would be helpful,this place has been full of too many scumbags with no training running bars,like the brits that drive around in illegal cars,they all think they are beyond the law,i want to do my little bit,just need direction

cheers

Isn´t is a bit ironic that all of a sudden the hygeine standards are so shocking that the owners need sorting out?

The filth did not bother you or your wife before she was given notice, so dont cite public safety as the reason for your change of viewpoint.

Don´t hide behind your "concern for the diner´s wellbeing" be honest, you just want to stick it to them.

BTW I presume that your wife paid no tax or national insurance either.

Domino Feb 4th 2013 10:52 am

can it be possible that a bar can get through 12 years without a visit from local authorities of some office or another ??

won't most trade suppliers, especially of alcohol, want to see the IVA for the business?
but then I have been in Alcampo when several business owners have been buying in bulk - a group of chinese had 5 trolleys of top shelf alcohol.

`

Domino Feb 4th 2013 1:08 pm

OUCH ! !

`

Rotor Feb 4th 2013 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10524039)
OUCH ! !

`

Yep the truth is not always nice but surely the OP did not really expect help and sympathy? :huh:

jackytoo Feb 4th 2013 1:54 pm

reminds me of a woman who worked in a call centre on the CDS. She happily sold timeshare and dodgy land to gullable Brits until she reported the call centre after some arguement...she ended up in court with the rest:lol:

sensationalfrog Feb 5th 2013 12:36 am

Well,I really did not expect this kind of response

Billymacker,we have discussed reporting them before,but work is work and it is hard to come by so that is the reason

Dxf the proof would be in their lack of receipts that i think you should keep for 5 years,I should have added that I have known the people for 12 years here and know how they operate and their lack of respect for people that do things right

Rotor,you just have no idea,my wife endlessly asked for a contract,I do pay taxes,I ran a bar here for 7 years every thing was legal as it was when I owned and ran licensed premises in Devon since 1981 so dont you dare call me a scumbag on the internet,a man would say it to my face,but i doubt you would do that,and as for the hygene,its the last 6 months that it has got bad,if you know anything about english run bars on the coast,its quite commen for the skills in hygene to be bad as the test you take is a joke and tbh i cant be bothered to reply to you anymore

domino why would trade suppliers what to see iva from a business,its all cash sales and in the 7 years i ran a bar i had one visit from the health people at tha start and one after about 6 years from the social security to make sure the staff i had were on contracts so yes it is possible i suppose to be under the radar for 12 years

meme as i said its the last 6 months that hygene has gone down,my wife does have concerns for the customers and quite often puts people off ordering thing that she does not consider that good,but they get sold on her days off i suppose and how can she pay the tax and Ni without a contract

This just shows what a bunch of self opinionated idiots who know nothing you can be(typical expats i suppose) with the exception of avacado and dfx,thanks for your helpful posts,I wont bother asking for a bit of simple advice on this forum again

sensationalfrog Feb 5th 2013 1:12 am

I really have to clarify as well,my wife is in no way trying to avoid paying tax and social security,certainly the latter would help with heathcare etc but getting a contract from an employer is hard as it costs them more money,i guess you didnt know that either,are some of you so stupid that you dont see that or are you just too far from the real world of working and keeping a job in spain, it is hard,get back to your G and T by the pool wahwhawhawha,this I might add is the first time ever that I have asked for advice on an internet forum,had internet since 1992,its a shame that this forum has so many people that just want to abuse you,shame on you all,moderaters you also should take a look at what is posted by some people,as they really do not understand situations that they comment on but as the have a a few thousand posts under their belts they can do no wrong it seems

me me Feb 5th 2013 6:44 am

Originally Posted by sensationalfrog (Post 10525457)
I really have to clarify as well,my wife is in no way trying to avoid paying tax and social security,certainly the latter would help with heathcare etc but getting a contract from an employer is hard as it costs them more money,i guess you didnt know that either,are some of you so stupid that you dont see that or are you just too far from the real world of working and keeping a job in spain, it is hard,get back to your G and T by the pool wahwhawhawha,this I might add is the first time ever that I have asked for advice on an internet forum,had internet since 1992,its a shame that this forum has so many people that just want to abuse you,shame on you all,moderaters you also should take a look at what is posted by some people,as they really do not understand situations that they comment on but as the have a a few thousand posts under their belts they can do no wrong it seems

Some of us do have an idea of what the working world is like in Spain.

Both me and my husband have Spanish family members who are business people/employees/employers/self employed, that cover most types of business activities.

My husband is JLFS, a former/banned member of this forum, (one of the few Spanish posters on BE), so the comment about not knowing what it is like working in Spain is a bit wide off the mark in my case.

The fact that your wife was always asking for a contract cuts no ice with anyone, how long does it take to realise that you are not getting one? Not 4 years.

Correct me if I am wrong but she would have still been working there, and serving the manky food with no contract if she had not been given notice, so the moral high ground that you are on is rather shaky to say the least.

PS your wife has already avoided paying tax and SS, years worth

Domino Feb 5th 2013 8:03 am

Originally Posted by sensationalfrog (Post 10525423)

domino why would trade suppliers what to see iva from a business,its all cash sales and in the 7 years i ran a bar i had one visit from the health people at tha start and one after about 6 years from the social security to make sure the staff i had were on contracts so yes it is possible i suppose to be under the radar for 12 years

that seems to me to show a complete ignorance of Spanish Invoicing laws and IVA.
so it makes me wonder how much you also operated on the black
:frown:
I wouldnt want to be your accountant, if you had one, but what do I know, all I am is a know nothing British ExPat in Spain.

:rofl:

Mitzyboy Feb 5th 2013 9:05 am

So ... let me get this right

The OP's wife managed to get a job in Spain and hold on to it. That takes some doing in the countries present circumstances. She asks for a contract, is never given one despite asking many times, yet some of you here think she should have just flounced out of the bar, leaving what (probably) badly needed income she had behind .... am I getting this right?

Rotor Feb 5th 2013 9:10 am

Originally Posted by sensationalfrog (Post 10525423)
Well,I really did not expect this kind of response

Billymacker,we have discussed reporting them before,but work is work and it is hard to come by so that is the reason

Dxf the proof would be in their lack of receipts that i think you should keep for 5 years,I should have added that I have known the people for 12 years here and know how they operate and their lack of respect for people that do things right

Rotor,you just have no idea,my wife endlessly asked for a contract,I do pay taxes,I ran a bar here for 7 years every thing was legal as it was when I owned and ran licensed premises in Devon since 1981 so dont you dare call me a scumbag on the internet,a man would say it to my face,but i doubt you would do that,and as for the hygene,its the last 6 months that it has got bad,if you know anything about english run bars on the coast,its quite commen for the skills in hygene to be bad as the test you take is a joke and tbh i cant be bothered to reply to you anymore

meme as i said its the last 6 months that hygene has gone down,my wife does have concerns for the customers and quite often puts people off ordering thing that she does not consider that good,but they get sold on her days off i suppose and how can she pay the tax and Ni without a contract

This just shows what a bunch of self opinionated idiots who know nothing you can be(typical expats i suppose) with the exception of avacado and dfx,thanks for your helpful posts,I wont bother asking for a bit of simple advice on this forum again

If you had run your bar legally you would not be asking these questions ,I would say the same to you face to face no problem , you are an old man , watch your blood pressure :p <<snip>> , I ran a business legally for over 5 years in Spain , when it no longer became profitable I closed it rather than go illegal.