Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Renting a Room in Bilbao...Clueless!

Renting a Room in Bilbao...Clueless!

Old Jul 21st 2015, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

falloutgirl88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Renting a Room in Bilbao...Clueless!

Hello all,

My partner and I are moving to Bilbao in September. My work place is located very close to the Guggenheim Museum. Has anyone got any knowledge of renting a room in this area.

I am pretty sure our own apartment will be out of the question price wise but we don't mind sharing. Are there any good sites to start looking at for places to rent?

Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 21st 2015, 4:59 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a Room in Bilbao...Clueless!

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 21st 2015, 5:14 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by falloutgirl88
Hello all,

My partner and I are moving to Bilbao in September. My work place is located very close to the Guggenheim Museum. Has anyone got any knowledge of renting a room in this area.

I am pretty sure our own apartment will be out of the question price wise but we don't mind sharing. Are there any good sites to start looking at for places to rent?

Thanks everyone!
If no replies I'm sure that Google will throw up a good few sites/agents.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 8:21 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VFR
If no replies I'm sure that Google will throw up a good few sites/agents.
Try AirBnB although designed for short term rentals I have seen monthly rates

Jon
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Thanks everyone!
We live in Elorrio (Bizkaia), about 50 mins by bus from Bilbao.
I could send you some websites of estate agents in Bilbao when we return from our few days in Prague.
We get back Sunday.
As a guess, I'd say you could be paying around €500-€800 per month, but I'll see what I can find.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
We live in Elorrio (Bizkaia), about 50 mins by bus from Bilbao.
I could send you some websites of estate agents in Bilbao when we return from our few days in Prague.
We get back Sunday.
As a guess, I'd say you could be paying around €500-€800 per month, but I'll see what I can find.
That's fantastic thank you very much for your help.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

cat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant future

Pisos y apartamentos en alquiler en Bilbao, Vizcaya — idealista

Idealista is your friend.

Are you sure you can only afford a room? Rents in the centre are pretty affordable.

I used to live in the Basque country, but not in Bilbao, so I don't know it so well. I guess you will want to be quite central if you don't have kids (I'm assuming) and you're working in the centre. Personally, I love the yacht club, and a flat around there would be awesome.

Alternatively, if you wanted to be out a little, and you like the beach, somewhere like Sopelana would be worth a look. It's still on the metro, so handy for getting to work.

Or, as a more sedate, family kind of thing (with a few ex pats), Leioa is a very nice residential area.

Bilbao is one of my favourite places, and I'm really jealous! It's got everything - great food, a much better climate than here (Madrid - too hot!), beautiful scenery, wine country nearby (Rioja), mountains, some of the best beaches in Spain right there, it's really close to France which is great for day trips (and to watch high quality rugby at Biarritz), and will soon have a high speed rail service to Madrid and beyond. It's a gem.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cat6
Pisos y apartamentos en alquiler en Bilbao, Vizcaya — idealista

Idealista is your friend.

Are you sure you can only afford a room? Rents in the centre are pretty affordable.

I used to live in the Basque country, but not in Bilbao, so I don't know it so well. I guess you will want to be quite central if you don't have kids (I'm assuming) and you're working in the centre. Personally, I love the yacht club, and a flat around there would be awesome.

Alternatively, if you wanted to be out a little, and you like the beach, somewhere like Sopelana would be worth a look. It's still on the metro, so handy for getting to work.

Or, as a more sedate, family kind of thing (with a few ex pats), Leioa is a very nice residential area.

Bilbao is one of my favourite places, and I'm really jealous! It's got everything - great food, a much better climate than here (Madrid - too hot!), beautiful scenery, wine country nearby (Rioja), mountains, some of the best beaches in Spain right there, it's really close to France which is great for day trips (and to watch high quality rugby at Biarritz), and will soon have a high speed rail service to Madrid and beyond. It's a gem.
Thanks so much for this link! It was just what I was looking for! Now looking at the prices I am thinking we may be able to afford an apartment. Thanks again
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

That's fantastic thank you very much for your help.
Here are a couple of websites from the local paper:
pisos en Bilbao y Getxo - Inmobiliaria Irizar - casas Getxo y Mungia - pisos en vizcaya - Inmobiliaria en Bilbao Bizkaia - Venta pisos gran Bilbao
www.inmobilariaquorum.com

Will look for some more next time in Bilbao.

Living near the Guggenheim will doubtless be expensive. Deusto area is where the universities etc are and maybe cheaper; it'd be about 15mins walk.

You might try even a B&B for a few days to find something suitable.

Do you speak Spanish at all? If you don't, then I'd suggest enrolling in the Escuela de Idiomas, in Deusto. Their enrolment begins usually on 1st or 2nd September & would cost you about €75 for the year! It's heavily subsidised by the Basque government.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
Here are a couple of websites from the local paper:
pisos en Bilbao y Getxo - Inmobiliaria Irizar - casas Getxo y Mungia - pisos en vizcaya - Inmobiliaria en Bilbao Bizkaia - Venta pisos gran Bilbao
www.inmobilariaquorum.com

Will look for some more next time in Bilbao.

Living near the Guggenheim will doubtless be expensive. Deusto area is where the universities etc are and maybe cheaper; it'd be about 15mins walk.

You might try even a B&B for a few days to find something suitable.

Do you speak Spanish at all? If you don't, then I'd suggest enrolling in the Escuela de Idiomas, in Deusto. Their enrolment begins usually on 1st or 2nd September & would cost you about €75 for the year! It's heavily subsidised by the Basque government.
That's excellent thank you. No I have very little Spanish so I am going to look into this for sure. Thanks again.