Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Renting, doctors & N.I.E number.

Renting, doctors & N.I.E number.

Old Apr 16th 2016, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Nick1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting, doctors & N.I.E number.

Hi all.
Just a few quick questions.
I'm looking to spend 6 months to 1 year in Spain after 23rd June.
(If all goes well, and we stay in the EU)
I think I have sufficient funds to support myself for this period, but there is no specific amount I can find to state how much that is.
Does anyone know the minimum amount needed in order to stay?
I've read on some forum the amount of €6000, per year, on a credit card, is this correct?
I don't own credit cards, only debit, which I assume won't make a difference.
I'll not have a job but will be a living off my savings for that year, which will be double that, with the aim of writing and looking for a job.
I already have a Spanish N.I.E number, issued in Northern Spain, and will be getting an updated EHIC card to cover me while I'm out there.
Am I right in assuming that rental wise, I'm all set to go & will just need my N.I.E, passport & bank account details to prove self sufficiency?
Will I still need to sign the Padron?
Although I was registered in N.Spain, I assume I won't need to obtain another N.I.E number if I go to Southern Spain , will I?
And will I be able to get my monthly prescription for my medication by simply producing my EHIC card and registering with the local doctors surgery for that area?
I spent a few months in Spain last year but had enough medication to last me & didn't need a doc.

This is all providing we vote to stay in the EU on June 23rd, which is why I'm going to wait until then.
Is this a good idea?
Its purely for exchange reasons, IE: I'm assuming that once we (hopefully) vote to remain in the EU, the exchange rate will improve, but if I wanted to live there permanently, should I leave before the 23rd June, just in case?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
� ����

Last edited by Nick1971; Apr 16th 2016 at 8:41 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 9:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting, doctors & N.I.E number.

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 16th 2016, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

wasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud of

Lord, please ignore the EU scaremongering, even if we do leave the EU, we're not going to close the borders at midnight and be blocked from living in other EU countries.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, will do.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply Wasss.
I understand your point, and agree to a large extent, but there were a few other questions that I would have liked input on apart from the EU one.
Any advice on the other questions I posed is appreciated.
� ����
Old Apr 17th 2016, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

There is no set amount to show self-sufficiency. But if you have 12,000€ in your bank and can show that you have a debit card to access it then most localities would probably accept that. 12,000€ should be just about enough to cover rent, utilities etc but you wouldn't be living the high life on it.

I'm afraid it is not so easy to take long holidays anymore. For example you automatically become a Spanish tax resident after 6 months (183 days) and so will have to declare your worldwide income and assets.

The EHIC card is essentially for emergency treatment and limited pre-existing treatments but does not include regular prescriptions. So you will have to pay for those. You will have to have private medical insurance as the Spanish NHS (if you qualify and I suspect you wouldn't) does not kick in for the first year.

Remember to keep your travel tickets as proof on when you arrive and intend to depart.

You could probably get away with living under the radar so to speak but I'm sure no responsible person would recommend that!

Last edited by MikeJ; Apr 17th 2016 at 8:02 am.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info MikeJ.
I don't intend to live the high life.
I don't smoke, I rarely drink, don't really do clubs & cook for myself, so I'll mostly be using Carrefour supermarket as my restaurant!
I love walking & enjoy a day at the beach.
Also, I'll be looking to get a lot of writing done, so I shouldn't be so bored.
Only negative I see is getting my monthly prescriptions.
I assumed I'd have to pay for them, as I do here in the UK, but didn't think I'd need health insurance!
I only need 1 script per month.
Is health insurance that expensive?
Only other thing I can think of is staying for 6 months, with enough medication to last, if my doctor allows it, and return after 6 months.
Not looking to live under the radar, but if that's the only option...
Old Apr 17th 2016, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of private health care Doctors around, more so in expat áreas, may well be able to get your scrips from one of them, but will cost more than nhs. I do know officially that UK GP is not supposed to give more than x amount to carry abroad. May I ask what drugs you need, some you can buy OTC.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hi pwwm,
The drug I need is a P.O.M medicine here called Bisoprolol.
Its to correct a heartbeat problem.
If its not much more expensive than N.H.S, then I don't mind paying.
As long as its not extortionate!
Old Apr 17th 2016, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick1971
Hi pwwm,
The drug I need is a P.O.M medicine here called Bisoprolol.
Its to correct a heartbeat problem.
If its not much more expensive than N.H.S, then I don't mind paying.
As long as its not extortionate!

i ill try to remember next time I collect my own scrip to ask our farmacia if available off scrip and cost, but I would go to private doc if I as you, you might be able anyway to bring 3/12 with you.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pwwm
i ill try to remember next time I collect my own scrip to ask our farmacia if available off scrip and cost, but I would go to private doc if I as you, you might be able anyway to bring 3/12 with you.

I'd appreciate that, thanks.👍
That's what I did last time, but I had some spare as well.
I'm sure theres a way around this minor problem...
Old Apr 18th 2016, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

I take Bisoprolol COR Sandoz 2.5mg. The full price of 28 tablets is €2.40 but needs prescription. Sandoz is the manufacturer, which in UK is Fumarate.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcbernard
I take Bisoprolol COR Sandoz 2.5mg. The full price of 28 tablets is €2.40 but needs prescription. Sandoz is the manufacturer, which in UK is Fumarate.
I take them also.

When I visit Spain, I can get them from the Farmacia easily. I just say that I'm on holiday and have run out. Not ever a problem. Done it with other tabs as well.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lutonlad
I take them also.

When I visit Spain, I can get them from the Farmacia easily. I just say that I'm on holiday and have run out. Not ever a problem. Done it with other tabs as well.
Thanks for the reply Marc Bernard & Luton Lad.
I used to work in a pharmacy & remember that we used to issue to holiday makers too.
It was called 'emergency dispensation'.
That's put my mind at ease somewhat.
I'll mention it to my doctor when I see him as well.
I'm sure they're not going to leave you high & dry!
👍
Old May 7th 2016, 1:26 am
Just Joined

AlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond repute

When I applied for my "Green" NIE, I was able to download a copy of my latest bank
account shewing that I had adequate funds. My recollection is that the threshold
is between 5000 and 6000 euros. However as an NIE is already held it may not be
necessary to go through that hoop again.

The EHIC has limited coverage. The NIE criteria are designed to demonstrate that
one will not be a burden on the Spanish health service (ie that costs can be
recharged to UK). Pensioners can get an S1 form from UK which means that the
liability is transferred but that results in non-eligibility in UK! Much to my surprise
the EHIC was accepted as adequate - with an expiry date in 2018. Of course,
EHIC is an EU initiative and thus I do not know position if Brexit arises.

My understanding is that one needs to register on the padron wherever one is
living - certainly if in Spain more than ninety days. There is an obligation to
apply for a permanencia (or residential extension) if in Spain for more than
ninety days. Beyond 180 days and further complications can arise - although
in theory one can stay from early July one year until late June the next without
becoming tax resident as the clock resets at 1st January (assuming that this
is the first period in Spain in the first year and that one keeps out of Spain
for the remainder of the second year).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.