Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Renting contract - anything to watch for?

Renting contract - anything to watch for?

Old Nov 24th 2012, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

mariaGB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting contract - anything to watch for?

We've agreed a price etc to rent an apartment for 11 months (in Barcelona) and due to get the contract today/tomorrow to go over before signing it next weekend.

is there anything I should watch out for that may cause issues or is very different to the usual UK rental contracts?

We are going through an agent but we are meeting the owner at the signing.

Thanks

Last edited by mariaGB; Nov 24th 2012 at 9:52 pm. Reason: defining city of residence
Old Nov 24th 2012, 11:30 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting contract - anything to watch for?

Originally Posted by mariaGB
We've agreed a price etc to rent an apartment for 11 months (in Barcelona) and due to get the contract today/tomorrow to go over before signing it next weekend.

is there anything I should watch out for that may cause issues or is very different to the usual UK rental contracts?

Thanks
it has to be in Spanish to be legal - but contracts are pretty standard, usually

unless your Spanish is up to it get it independently translated - never trust the agent's translation, I've seen some which were so badly translated they might as well have been different contracts!!

don't feel that you have to agree to anything you don't like on it - negotiate

& legally - you only HAVE TO pay a month rent upfront & a month as deposit - it's up to you though if you want to - & you only have to give a month notice to leave at any time
Old Nov 25th 2012, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Check that what you have been told about who pays for what ( community charges, water etc) is shown correctly in the agreement. Even with very basic spanish, you should be able to do that for yourself. When we were renting an apartment and we signed a new agreement the owner changed it without telling us (hoping we wouldn't notice) so that we would have been responsible for the community charges.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:00 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure that its one payment a month.. for rent ..electric..water.. mine is €500. all in and i pay into a bank account.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:04 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
Make sure that its one payment a month.. for rent ..electric..water.. mine is €500. all in and i pay into a bank account.
all-in contracts are very rare though on proper long term rentals

usually you pay for your consumption
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:13 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
all-in contracts are very rare though on proper long term rentals

usually you pay for your consumption
My rent was €450 all in then the land lord asked if i would pay the water and electric as prices had gone up... I made a deal with him and now pay €500 all in,, I have lived in this apartment for 4 years now .. and everyone else pays the same..
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:16 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

My rent was €450 all in then the land lord asked if i would pay the water and electric as prices had gone up... I made a deal with him and now pay €500 all in,, I have lived in this apartment for 4 years now .. and everyone else pays the same..
you're very lucky

wouldn't happen around here
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:22 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

Australia Apartments Playa del Ingles..
Attached Thumbnails Renting contract - anything to watch for?-.jpg  
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:28 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

If you look around you should get a good landlord. and find somewere cheap to live.. People are going home now because they lived abouve their means and dont want to down grade.. Must be something to do with pride..
Old Nov 25th 2012, 7:00 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

If you look around you should get a good landlord. and find somewere cheap to live.. People are going home now because they lived abouve their means and dont want to down grade.. Must be something to do with pride..
I've managed to negotiate a drop in rent - & I'm thinking of trying again soon

one of the letting agents around here has also persuaded a lot of her owners to drop rents - a good tenant paying a bit less is better than a property standing empty
Old Nov 25th 2012, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

mariaGB is an unknown quantity at this point

we've looked at about 16 places in 5 days and we negotiated the rent down and some other bits - which is insane as I normally run from negotiate on anything (useless at carboot sales). Agent is decent.

I'll keep an eye out for anything odd.

thanks everyone.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Renting contract - anything to watch for?

Originally Posted by mariaGB

Thanks
Ask how much the agent is getting and you could negotiate that as sometimes they take a monthly fee and sometimes a one off payment. Check what bills are included and then ask to see them when they come.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 2:53 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

We have been looking & places we have turned down have got back to us with all sorts of offers ! Building garages, reducing rent !
It sure is a renters market. For a change.

Suzi
Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:03 am
Just Joined

father doogle is an unknown quantity at this point

Every cloud there is nothing in a poor market for anyone.