British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Renting a car in the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/renting-car-usa-741262/)

petew Dec 7th 2011 7:08 pm

Renting a car in the USA

I may be visiting the USA in January and I will want to rent a car. I now have a spanish driving licence (having swapped my UK licence) Has anyone visited the USA and used a spanish licence to rent a car? I don't anticipate any problem, but will I need an International Driving Permit (or whatever it's called)? Maybe this should be in the USA forum?

fionamw Dec 7th 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Renting a car in the USA

Originally Posted by petew (Post 9776275)
I may be visiting the USA in January and I will want to rent a car. I now have a spanish driving licence (having swapped my UK licence) Has anyone visited the USA and used a spanish licence to rent a car? I don't anticipate any problem, but will I need an International Driving Permit (or whatever it's called)? Maybe this should be in the USA forum?

I'm sure if after a few hours you post there but not with identical words no-one's going to object; if not, pm a mod to move your thread. Good luck either way. I'm sure there's not going to be a prob using a Spanish licence. nb have you tried simply googling?

jdr Dec 7th 2011 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by petew (Post 9776275)

When I was in Canada I needed a driving permit to back up my UK driving licence, Maybe the Spanish embassy in USA will have info on their site ?

Dxf Dec 7th 2011 8:49 pm

Hi

I rented a car in October 2011 in Canada and my Spanish licence was accepted without question

Davexf

jackytoo Dec 8th 2011 8:59 am

We went to Florida with another couple around 8 yrs ago. He had Spanish licence and was quite a while at the hire desk. They would not let him have the deal we booked online and had to pay around $20 per day more. One of the reasons I kept my UK licence.

amideislas Dec 9th 2011 5:41 pm

We were in Ohio just a few months back.. No problems at all with Spanish licence. In fact, we had a nice new Hyundai SUV with everything - automatic, air conditioning, and all the extras. Tank full / return full. I was particularly impressed that there were 5 open check-in desks and we were in and out in about 10 minutes. The cost was $173 USD per week including insurance (about €120). No chance of getting a deal (or service) like that over here.

AdrianTO Dec 9th 2011 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 9779663)
We were in Ohio just a few months back.. No problems at all with Spanish licence. In fact, we had a nice new Hyundai SUV with everything - automatic, air conditioning, and all the extras. Tank full / return full. I was particularly impressed that there were 5 open check-in desks and we were in and out in about 10 minutes. The cost was $173 USD per week including insurance (about €120). No chance of getting a deal (or service) like that over here.

I paid that for a VW Golf from Sixt at Malaga Airport, but it was for a monthly rental. Worked out to about that per week.