Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Renting: all the money up front?

Renting: all the money up front?

Old Nov 19th 2019, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Angus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting: all the money up front?

I've been arranging a 4 month rental here in Andalucia, and having viewed the property and decided to go with it, the owner has asked for the entire 4 month's rental up front. As far as I'm concerned this leaves me with no leverage if anything goes wrong with the property. The agent reckons this is normal but then I guess they want their commission and don't want to upset the owner. I also don't particularly want to be walking around with 3,000 euros in my pocket (4 months + deposit)..The rental property I am in now for 2 months I just pay a month is advance each time.

Is it normal practice for short term rentals to ask for the whole amount up front?
Old Nov 19th 2019, 8:55 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting: all the money up front?

Owner and agent can ask whatever they like. Perhaps they have been stung in the past with expats doing a runner leaving debts unpaid?
Old Nov 19th 2019, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

As it is a short term I think this is fairly normal. If you don't like the deal find another.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 11:50 am
Just Joined

I did! Found another one today with monthly upfront payments - much better.

But the other one was the first time I had come across 'all the money up front', which might make a greedy landlord a bit happier but not if it loses him rentals like the one I have just now backed away from.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angus1
I've been arranging a 4 month rental here in Andalucia, and having viewed the property and decided to go with it, the owner has asked for the entire 4 month's rental up front. As far as I'm concerned this leaves me with no leverage if anything goes wrong with the property. The agent reckons this is normal but then I guess they want their commission and don't want to upset the owner. I also don't particularly want to be walking around with 3,000 euros in my pocket (4 months + deposit)..The rental property I am in now for 2 months I just pay a month is advance each time.

Is it normal practice for short term rentals to ask for the whole amount up front?
We have always paid a deposit to hold the property then paid in full the day we arrive. Never seen a monthly rental for a short term holiday let advertised.

Old Nov 22nd 2019, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

You know what? I am not surprised. I bet the OP is honest, elderly, talkative, anxious for some winter/spring sunshine and almost has "Mug" written on his forehead. I've seen this from several estate agents who with hand on heart dictate what they want.

Angus, enough of anguish, deal with somebody else.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Leper, I did indeed do that. I can't blame the agent too much as it was the apartment owner who suddenly made the demand, but yes, he probably thought I was desperate seeing as it was to start in 5 week's time and was rubbing his hands at the thought of all that dosh. Well, he hasn't got it now. The apartment I moved to - not quite as good but perfectly ok - is all utilities included and payments each month. That's more like it.

You are dead right about the honest and 'anxious for winter/spring sunshine' bit, maybe not so much on the other two. Late fifties is young these days!