Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Rented property and cars

Rented property and cars

Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Jorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud of
Default Rented property and cars

I know this has been done to death but........we have finally sold and are considering renting in Spain for up to six months. We will not be residents (or I dont think so)so can we bring and use our UK car without having to change plates etc. I already have an EU licence and my insurers will cover me/us.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rented property and cars

Originally Posted by Jorgi
I know this has been done to death but........we have finally sold and are considering renting in Spain for up to six months. We will not be residents (or I dont think so)so can we bring and use our UK car without having to change plates etc. I already have an EU licence and my insurers will cover me/us.
If you are in Spain for longer than three months you are classed as resident and have to apply for residencia and matriculate your vehicles.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:07 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
If you are in Spain for longer than three months you are classed as resident and have to apply for residencia and matriculate your vehicles.
Is this the case in other EU countries or is it only Spain??
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Is this the case in other EU countries or is it only Spain??
The other countries seem to vary on time before residency applies, some are 6 months.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Jorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
The other countries seem to vary on time before residency applies, some are 6 months.
Thanks jdr. It looks as though it will have to be 3 months in Spain and three months in France before we settle. D*mn.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:02 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jorgi
Thanks jdr. It looks as though it will have to be 3 months in Spain and three months in France before we settle. D*mn.
Saying that, I believe the law is if you stay longer than 3 months in Spain in 'one go' then you have to become a resident etc.

Even if you rent somewhere for six months, what's to stop you driving back to the UK for a weekend (to prove you've been back by a ferry/tunnel ticket) and then go back?

You've then spent say nearly 3 months, then left, came back for another nearly 3 months.

Surely that works? I know it used to work when the six months car import law was active.

JDR? Mitzy? any idea?

Or is it 3 months period in any 1 year?

Last edited by zel; Nov 13th 2007 at 8:10 am.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

I know that what JDR is saying is correct but I also know that I and several hundred other people have been coming to Spain for more than 3 months at a time for many years without any problems. I have NEVER heard of anyone who has been given any hassle over this issue.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:29 am
zel

Originally Posted by brodev
I know that what JDR is saying is correct but I also know that I and several hundred other people have been coming to Spain for more than 3 months at a time for many years without any problems. I have NEVER heard of anyone who has been given any hassle over this issue.
I personally know of 2 cases where peoples cars have been taken by the police, one was crushed and the other had to get lawyers involved due to only owning it for a short time (but previous owner had it in Spain for ages)

I agree to some extent that it's a minimal risk (especially if you live in the sticks) but it's a risk however you look at it.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:36 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brodev
Yes, there are a huge number of Brits who just come out to Spain for the winter and they certainly do not bother about applying for resident status.

It's pretty meaningless anyway, particularly as you don't even get a card any more. The only residency status that is important is tax residency and that has nothing to do with having a residency certificate or not.

There was a time when you needed to produce your card to avoid the 5% retention when you sold a house but that has now changed and a tax residency certificate is required (or a copy of your tax declaration).
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:39 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by zel
I personally know of 2 cases where peoples cars have been taken by the police, one was crushed and the other had to get lawyers involved due to only owning it for a short time (but previous owner had it in Spain for ages)

I agree to some extent that it's a minimal risk (especially if you live in the sticks) but it's a risk however you look at it.
In the free beer thread "Residentcia rules" there is a link to the rules PDF on a post by Fred.

It says if you are in Spain for over a period of three months. lol
This is a pic of the page....
Attached Thumbnails Rented property and cars-residencia.jpg  
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:42 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel

Were they residents? If so the police can do that but for non residents it is very unlikely.

As for you question about the 3 month rule - as far as I know, you can come back and the clock starts again. Residency is for people who wish to live permanently in Spain, not for bona fide tourists.

Tax residency is cumulative and is 183 days in one calendar year.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:47 am
zel

Originally Posted by Fred James
Were they residents? If so the police can do that but for non residents it is very unlikely.
Both actually, You see the Police can do whatever they like if a vehicle is not legal in their country!

Just like in the UK the Police are clamping down on Polish cars that can't prove they have been here for less than six months!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:49 am
zel

Originally Posted by jdr
In the free beer thread "Residentcia rules" there is a link to the rules PDF on a post by Fred.

It says if you are in Spain for over a period of three months. lol
This is a pic of the page....
As per normal then, Nothing is set out in black and white in Spain! so it's upto the person to interpret how they seem fit.

So by that information, my theory of leaving and coming back before the time frame would suit purpose. Just like back in the 6 month law days.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 9:03 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by zel
As per normal then, Nothing is set out in black and white in Spain! so it's upto the person to interpret how they seem fit.

So by that information, my theory of leaving and coming back before the time frame would suit purpose. Just like back in the 6 month law days.
It appears so....
As long as the UK car is taxed, mot`d and insured in country of origin, I would imagine if you showed a Spanish address on anything ID or Spanish insurance you would get done as that more or less proves you have been in Spain for longer than 3 months (you know how long Spanish paperwork takes).;-)
Old Nov 13th 2007, 9:18 am
zel

Originally Posted by jdr
It appears so....
As long as the UK car is taxed, mot`d and insured in country of origin, I would imagine if you showed a Spanish address on anything ID or Spanish insurance you would get done as that more or less proves you have been in Spain for longer than 3 months (you know how long Spanish paperwork takes).;-)
heh of course!

Well you'd have to be stupid to bring a non mot'd etc car back to the UK!

The UK gov is so anti car now I wouldn't be surprised if they have snipers at all ports taking out drivers coming in with such cars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.