British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Rental properties in spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/rental-properties-spain-928983/)

Dave Hampson Oct 31st 2019 7:44 pm

Rental properties in spain

Hi me and my wife are looking to move permanently to Spain in jan/Feb 2020 and will need to rent a property while we find a place to buy can anybody point me in the right direction for short term rental of around 3 months
Thanks in advance
Dave

Leper Oct 31st 2019 8:21 pm

Re: Rental properties in spain

Hi Dave. We don't know to where you intend to move. We don't know if you are retired. We don't know if you wish to work. We don't know if you're returning to the UK for summer months and renting out your place in Spain while you are there. In fact we know nothing about you at this stage.

But, don't discount the obvious. Don't sell your home in the UK until you are well situated in Spain. Keep your options open. You are right to rent for some weeks/months before deciding on buying.

Dave Hampson Oct 31st 2019 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Leper (Post 12757253)
Hi Dave. We don't know to where you intend to move. We don't know if you are retired. We don't know if you wish to work. We don't know if you're returning to the UK for summer months and renting out your place in Spain while you are there. In fact we know nothing about you at this stage.

But, don't discount the obvious. Don't sell your home in the UK until you are well situated in Spain. Keep your options open. You are right to rent for some weeks/months before deciding on buying.

Hi leper we will be semi retiring hoping to do a few days a week we are looking at living around malaga we won't be returning to the UK for anything other than a weeks visit to see family so looking to rent around malaga

Leper Oct 31st 2019 8:39 pm

Hi Dave, Sorry if I sounded brash (I am a brash person!). I don't know what you mean by semi retirement. Do you want to try and get work in Spain as in having a Spanish employer? If so, I'd advise you not to move. The employment situation in Spain is not good with huge percentage of under 35's not being able to get work. There are many working as waiters/servers/swimming-pool cleaners who wish they had better jobs. Don't think I'm a snob; I'm not. Many Brits will do work in Spain that they wouldn't dream of doing in the UK.

Costa del Sol:- The nearer you are to Málaga, the more you'll pay for property. While the weather there is excellent, there are places in Spain with warmer and drier temps.

Don't discount Costa Almeria just up the road which is almost as far south as Málaga and is warmer and drier. Property there is cheaper too. We live on and off in Mojacar Playa which is low rise and within an hour's drive of Almeria Airport and 90 mins from Murrcia International Airport, 2 hours from Alicante and 2 hours 10 mins drive from Málaga. The area is low rise - no high rises except for 2 hotels 3 miles apart at either end of the resort.

Loafing Along Nov 1st 2019 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Hampson (Post 12757224)
Hi me and my wife are looking to move permanently to Spain in jan/Feb 2020 and will need to rent a property while we find a place to buy can anybody point me in the right direction for short term rental of around 3 months
Thanks in advance
Dave

Always worthwhile checking sites like : https://www.homeaway.com/d/24538/malaga Look for places you like then check the booking calendar , if you find they have empty weeks ( oftne the case over winter ) contact the owner and ask if they will negotiate . Most will say "No" but also there are few who want their property to be occupied over winter and you can normally haggle for a discount