Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Rental problems.

Rental problems.

Old Oct 26th 2016, 9:19 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/withholding-rent-883141/

We have a few problems with our rental, one of which is listed in our contract 'to be repaired'. We are now seven months in and no action by the landlord's agent despite repeated requests. As this relates to a set of stairs we think it should be dealt with.
I have heard of a 'complaints book'. Is there such a beast and if so how does it work?
Just moving to another place is not an easy option, we would if we could.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
We have a few problems with our rental, one of which is listed in our contract 'to be repaired'. We are now seven months in and no action by the landlord's agent despite repeated requests. As this relates to a set of stairs we think it should be dealt with.
I have heard of a 'complaints book'. Is there such a beast and if so how does it work?
Thanks
As a landlord my answer may be different to others that you may get.

I would say, write or talk to the landlord/agent and insist on the work being done within a period (14 days?). Then explain that if it isn't done, you will get it done yourself and deduct the cost from your rent.

If a tenant of mine did this, I would be more than happy.

Originally Posted by snikpoh
As a landlord my answer may be different to others that you may get.

I would say, write or talk to the landlord/agent and insist on the work being done within a period (14 days?). Then explain that if it isn't done, you will get it done yourself and deduct the cost from your rent.

If a tenant of mine did this, I would be more than happy.
Thanks for that. I don't think that this is straight forward. It involves subsidence. The agent has told me that there is no budget for this. The landlord is in Qatar.
We are actively looking for somewhere else. I think that if repairs are effected the agent does not hold out much hope for reimbursement so he won't do it. I'm no builder but I think the cost will be expensive. It was suggested that we pay.No chance of that. We are still in our first year of the tenancy. My view is that the landlord is not holding up is end of the contract.
Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
Thanks
Hi, is this the same set of steps as the one mentioned in your other thread?

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 26th 2016 at 4:35 pm. Reason: same subject
Old Oct 26th 2016, 6:12 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental problems.

Slight confusion here, I'm not the OP, I simply wondered whether Kentishladd was talking about the same steps as in an earlier thread, and everything's gone back to front....
Old Oct 26th 2016, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental problems.

Originally Posted by dmu

Slight confusion here, I'm not the OP, I simply wondered whether Kentishladd was talking about the same steps as in an earlier thread, and everything's gone back to front....
Seems to be sorted,builder on the plot,finally.