Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Rent with option to buy

Rent with option to buy

Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rent with option to buy

It's something we're considering however the mechanics are beyond me at the moment - a website I've just looked at says 375,000€: 30,000€ up front, 800/month for two years splitting into the 100%. That's too much of a bargain!
How does it usually work & does it actually end up as a 'cheaper' buy as well as being guaranteed income & ultimate sale for the vendor or not?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:32 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent with option to buy

Originally Posted by fionamw
It's something we're considering however the mechanics are beyond me at the moment - a website I've just looked at says 375,000€: 30,000€ up front, 800/month for two years splitting into the 100%. That's too much of a bargain!
How does it usually work & does it actually end up as a 'cheaper' buy as well as being guaranteed income & ultimate sale for the vendor or not?
I'n not sure I understand the Math (and I thought I was a mathematician).

What do you mean by "splitting into the 100%"?

800/month for 2 years is 19,200, plus deposit of 30k = 49,200€. Where did the rest go?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:41 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

The way this normally works is that you buy, say 50%, with a mortgage or deposit or cash and then pay rent to the other "owner over the period of the mortgage.
The figures you have there dont quite work out
Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

We prepare them in the office for clients but basically the details are usually sorted out between the two parties of how it is to work - but most times a 10% deposit is paid down.

Last edited by SueG; Nov 5th 2009 at 11:15 am.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The way this normally works is that you buy, say 50%, with a mortgage or deposit or cash and then pay rent to the other "owner over the period of the mortgage.
The figures you have there dont quite work out
I know the figures don't work, hence one of my questions. Probably just bad explanatory notes on that particular website. However I always thought that by doing this method, the ultimate purchase price was lower because the vendor/landlord had a guaranteed income and then a more likely purchaser. So, for example, the property may be for sale at 375,000€ OR for rent with option to buy, say for sake of argument 1000/month over two years, maybe even paid all up front, with the option then to buy at a discount.
So there's no standard format for this kind of arrangement?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:06 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I know the figures don't work, hence one of my questions. Probably just bad explanatory notes on that particular website. However I always thought that by doing this method, the ultimate purchase price was lower because the vendor/landlord had a guaranteed income and then a more likely purchaser. So, for example, the property may be for sale at 375,000€ OR for rent with option to buy, say for sake of argument 1000/month over two years, maybe even paid all up front, with the option then to buy at a discount.
So there's no standard format for this kind of arrangement?
In Spain I dont know. In the UK when we were looking for our daughter we saw 25%, 50% & 75%. All basically the same in that you had to pay rent, but it was normally for a period set at the outset, and not really any cheaper than buying in total. We eventually discounted the idea and bought a complete property.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:19 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

The explanation I was told by a friend that was thinking about this option was:

That the price is agreed 200k

A deposit is paid 40k

rent is to be paid 1k per month for 2 years,

At the end of the 2 years, the mortgage is then given to the buyer for the remainder of the purchase price.
Which would be around 140k, to be paid in the usual way.

The advantage to the buyer is that, they can still live in the property and go ahead with the purchase, even if they have not got the full deposit needed.

Because the 1k per month rent they are paying for the 2 years, is almost all discounted off the price, and they do not have to pay rent elswhere so they can save up.

I may be wrong but was his take on the scheme and the way he explined it to me, and to be honest it does make sense.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JLFS

The advantage to the buyer is that, they can still live in the property and go ahead with the purchase, even if they have not got the full deposit needed.

Because the 1k per month rent they are paying for the 2 years, is almost all discounted off the price, and they do not have to pay rent elswhere so they can save up.

So that way would actually be very slightly more expensive for the purchaser.. not what I'd anticipated. Anyway, it's still an option to explore, even if it means different things to different people. All about being sure what you're signing up for, as with most things I guess.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

leckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant future

Im in one of these just now and for me anyway its quite simply rent for a certain period, if I decide to buy the money paid in rent will be deducted from the purchase price.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:14 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leckytech
Im in one of these just now and for me anyway its quite simply rent for a certain period, if I decide to buy the money paid in rent will be deducted from the purchase price.
This is what my OH told me what happened when we were talking about it recently.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:09 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

So that way would actually be very slightly more expensive for the purchaser.. not what I'd anticipated. Anyway, it's still an option to explore, even if it means different things to different people. All about being sure what you're signing up for, as with most things I guess.

Oh no, dont get the wrong end of the stick, I just made the numbers up as an expample, I have no idea of the actual figures.

I just wanted to illustrate a point, Fiona
Please dont let what I have written put you off, coz it does not sound a bad deal to me.

I dont think I have explained myself very well, but if you need to get in touch.

Last edited by JLFS; Nov 5th 2009 at 4:12 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I have a contract with my tenant which has an option to buy at a pre-agreed sales price and a monthly rental amount.

If he decides he likes it enough to buy the property he pays me the agreed price minus an amount equal to the rent he has already paid.

If he walks away I pocket the rent and thats the end of it.

Simple.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:00 pm
Banned

Is there no deposit upfront?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes 2 months rental - its a rental contract with option to buy.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spainrico
I have a contract with my tenant which has an option to buy at a pre-agreed sales price and a monthly rental amount.

If he decides he likes it enough to buy the property he pays me the agreed price minus an amount equal to the rent he has already paid.

If he walks away I pocket the rent and thats the end of it.

Simple.
I knew it'd come to me in the end! That's the clincher - cos depending on the figure you agree, with house prices plummeting at the moment in most places, it could be a good deal for the purchaser. How did you reach your figure & was it done through an agent? Cos of course I reckon with these websites I'm looking on they'll get their pound of flesh too making it less attractive for both owner & prospective purchaser.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.