Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

renew UK passport in Tenerife

renew UK passport in Tenerife

Old May 11th 2013, 7:52 am
Just Joined

chufitroko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default renew UK passport in Tenerife

Hi ,How can I renew my passport , without having to send existing one to UK. Its the only identification I have. What happens if it gets lost in the post?
Old May 11th 2013, 8:21 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew UK passport in Tenerife

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

If you live here you renew it here via Madrid, I think that you should find the information in Free Beer.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 11th 2013, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

You can send it however you like to Madrid - by courier or at least registered is advisable, but they insist that it is returned to you by courier.

When I applied from Spain I had it back in a week.

Take a copy of your passport and your application form so that if you're asked for it in the meantime you can explain why you don't have it.
Old May 11th 2013, 10:12 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I took mine to the British Consulate in Santa Cruz and they sorted it for me, I think via Madrid.
That's quite a while back so I don't know if it's possible now.
Old May 11th 2013, 6:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You now have to send it to Belfast.

https://www.gov.uk/government/world-...in-and-andorra

Take a copy of it and send the passport by registered post. Keep a copy of the application form and the postage receipt and then you should be able to prove your identity if asked.
Old May 11th 2013, 7:33 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You now have to send it to Belfast.

https://www.gov.uk/government/world-...in-and-andorra

Take a copy of it and send the passport by registered post. Keep a copy of the application form and the postage receipt and then you should be able to prove your identity if asked.
The UK have changed the renewal rules for expats. It's all clearly detailed on their website, easy to google it. In my case living in Brussels I have to send it to Paris and wait several weeks. There is also a fast track service for a charge, but I still don't fancy the wait. Even fast track takes weeks so luckily for me there is fast Eurostar train to London and on Tuesday I go to London to get a renewal, I can do I it in 4 hours - it's actually cheaper this way except the train ticket makes it more expensive overall. But I prefer to have it in my hand and I get to have a great lunch with a friend when there.

They also have a good email query service with a quick answer.

In the old days one could go to the embassy and get it -but sadly that's all changed.

Good luck
Jon
Old May 11th 2013, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I just pop into the Passport Office, fill in the required forms, hand over photo, show but retain old passport, then return a week later to collect the FREE new passport.

But then I live in a little bit of England in the sun.
Old May 11th 2013, 9:27 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I just pop into the Passport Office, fill in the required forms, hand over photo, show but retain old passport, then return a week later to collect the FREE new passport.

But then I live in a little bit of England in the sun.
I paid 179 euros in April.