Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Removals to Spain

Removals to Spain

Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:42 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all
Default Re: Removals to Spain

Hi
We used Whites Removals to store and then move the contents of our 3 bed house from Aylesbury to Chiclana. It was nearly two years ago and the cost was approx £2500. We thought their service was very good. They are based in Birmingham but do removals from anywhere. We packed most things ourselves the only thing that got broken was the glass I dropped trying to get the bubble wrap off of it!

Yvonne
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

Originally Posted by YMF
Hi
We used Whites Removals to store and then move the contents of our 3 bed house from Aylesbury to Chiclana. It was nearly two years ago and the cost was approx £2500. We thought their service was very good. They are based in Birmingham but do removals from anywhere. We packed most things ourselves the only thing that got broken was the glass I dropped trying to get the bubble wrap off of it!

Yvonne
Having read the suggestions about hiring a van/truck and driving your furniture to its destination yourself,I was wondering if your insurance would cover you if you had an accident (on the road ), if you were to rent ,and not tell them you were going to Spain then surely the rental insurance would not cover you.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 1:04 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonsol
Having read the suggestions about hiring a van/truck and driving your furniture to its destination yourself,I was wondering if your insurance would cover you if you had an accident (on the road ), if you were to rent ,and not tell them you were going to Spain then surely the rental insurance would not cover you.
No it woudn't. I think I mentioned earlier it will cost about 25% more to take a van abroad, which covers insurance and breakdown cover.

Clearly if you were not going to tell them the safe bet would be to arrange your own cover
Old Jul 30th 2006, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice
Smile Re: Removals to Spain

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No it woudn't. I think I mentioned earlier it will cost about 25% more to take a van abroad, which covers insurance and breakdown cover.

Clearly if you were not going to tell them the safe bet would be to arrange your own cover
Hi Mitzyboy, Which company did you use, so far all I get told from van rental companies is they only rent for u.k. use.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 11:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mitzyboy, Which company did you use, so far all I get told from van rental companies is they only rent for u.k. use.

Thrifty Van Rental

www.thrifty.co.uk

Don't know if you can book european on line, but when I went to the Coventry address they said they can do it no problem but roughly 25% excess for ins & breakdown cover. Their rate are good anyway though
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Removals to Spain

Thrifty Van Rental

www.thrifty.co.uk

Don't know if you can book european on line, but when I went to the Coventry address they said they can do it no problem but roughly 25% excess for ins & breakdown cover. Their rate are good anyway though
EXCELLANT, They are only 8 miles from me ,many thanks.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: Removals to Spain

EXCELLANT, They are only 8 miles from me ,many thanks.
I have now been to see the people at Thrifty, mainly to get an idea what space is available in different sized vans rather than trying to imagine what certain measurements look like, ...and, for a Short Wheel Base Transit van, 5.5 cubic mtrs, which is the 2nd size up in the range, I have been quoted £314.00 for 5 days and £366 for 6 days hire, for continental driving ! !, which I think is very reasonable,( thats including continental insurance ) This is the solution to my inquiry, Many Thanks.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:53 pm
Senior Moment

I have now been to see the people at Thrifty, mainly to get an idea what space is available in different sized vans rather than trying to imagine what certain measurements look like, ...and, for a Short Wheel Base Transit van, 5.5 cubic mtrs, which is the 2nd size up in the range, I have been quoted £314.00 for 5 days and £366 for 6 days hire, for continental driving ! !, which I think is very reasonable,( thats including continental insurance ) This is the solution to my inquiry, Many Thanks.

Yep I think I wasd quoted £416 for 8 days for a luton, exclusive of european charges
Old Jul 31st 2006, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Quote:

Yep I think I wasd quoted £416 for 8 days for a luton, exclusive of european charges

I have been told by thrifty at Wolverhampton that they don't allow vehicles out of the country?????
Mary
Old Jul 31st 2006, 2:40 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by maryg
Quote:

I have been told by thrifty at Wolverhampton that they don't allow vehicles out of the country?????
Mary
Strange .... well Thrifty Coventry definately say they do. But we're talking full sized vans like transits and lutons .... were you taking a 7.5 tonner? Maybe the rules are different for different sized vehicles
Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Strange .... well Thrifty Coventry definately say they do. But we're talking full sized vans like transits and lutons .... were you taking a 7.5 tonner? Maybe the rules are different for different sized vehicles
Hi Mitzyboy,
Just phoned the B,ham airpot branch of thrifty........a lovely man helped me and gave us a quote of less than £900 including vat, ins, breakdown and unlimited mileage......I said I'll let him know tomorrow as we have to plan out what we can fit into the van...an extralwb high roof, same size a a sprinter.....best quote so far.....
Mary
Old Jul 31st 2006, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Mitzyboy,
Just phoned the B,ham airpot branch of thrifty........a lovely man helped me and gave us a quote of less than £900 including vat, ins, breakdown and unlimited mileage......I said I'll let him know tomorrow as we have to plan out what we can fit into the van...an extralwb high roof, same size a a sprinter.....best quote so far.....
Mary
ps it was £850 for 15 days
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:30 am
Senior Moment

Hi Mitzyboy,
Mary
Great stuff! Hope you haven't booked it for when I was going to What dates are you going?
Old Aug 1st 2006, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Great stuff! Hope you haven't booked it for when I was going to What dates are you going?
Hey, its nice to see other people gaining from this post, it was certainly the first company that I have seen mentioned on here,(they also do rentals in Spain ) a lot of people have said that they are transporting their own furniture etc., but they didn`t say who they were hiring from,... just hope you can gain from this in some way Mitzboy.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is an interesting thread for me!!!!!!!! I have been slightly disappoinbted in my removal arrangements, I am not naming names as there seems to have been a communication problem! Any way, advice for ' doing it yourself' would be greatly appreciated!
We need to get our stuff down to Cadiz from Kent. I thought a ferry to Bilboa then drive down would be best.
I will try to find a thrifty near me ( rochester ) and get quotes. Any idea how big a van/truck I need for a two bed ( two up two down)

Please help

love

mary x x x

Actually I think Iam going to need a 7.5 ton!

Last edited by maryann; Aug 1st 2006 at 3:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.