Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Relocation to Spain

Relocation to Spain

Old Apr 10th 2019, 9:59 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation to Spain

Rent for the first year.

Use your own lawyer not the one recommended by the estate agent

The fact that a house has been there for years and has all the utilities and a council tax bill - does not mean it's a legal property.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Jamesbrook is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Rent for the first year.

Use your own lawyer not the one recommended by the estate agent

The fact that a house has been there for years and has all the utilities and a council tax bill - does not mean it's a legal property.
Can you elaborate on how one would find if a property is legal. Does this mean a local town hall inquiry or higher up the legal hierarchy.

Many Thanks

Old Apr 10th 2019, 11:48 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamesbrook

Can you elaborate on how one would find if a property is legal. Does this mean a local town hall inquiry or higher up the legal hierarchy.

Many Thanks

To be honest it was the best part of 20 years ago for me so I can't remember the details, but I did see various people buy properties using the estate agents solicitor and the house had electricity council tax (IBI) bills etc etc ....... and then discover the property was not fully legal (and in these cases, the electricity had to be cut-off).

Do a search for "illegal" and other similar terms on this Spanish forum and I suspect you'll find plenty of threads with good information.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
To be honest it was the best part of 20 years ago for me so I can't remember the details, but I did see various people buy properties using the estate agents solicitor and the house had electricity council tax (IBI) bills etc etc ....... and then discover the property was not fully legal (and in these cases, the electricity had to be cut-off).

Do a search for "illegal" and other similar terms on this Spanish forum and I suspect you'll find plenty of threads with good information.

Many thanks for for your prompt response, yes I will investigate further.
Old May 23rd 2019, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Jillf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi how did you manage to sell your properties we are trying to sell ours on with two estate agents but nithing yet and heed to sell due to personal reasons any help please
Old May 23rd 2019, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for you thread message, the property I was interested in was sold to someone else before I had chance to visit Alfaz Del Pi. I’m currently still looking for a property.
Old May 25th 2019, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Monkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond repute

We have just bought and moved in to our home in Valencia. We spent three years looking at properties both online and in person. We visited many areas and Last August we spent a month looking at properties and made an offer on this property in the last week of our visit.
we visited place in the sun exhibitions, browsed and participated in forums such as this and others, Facebook sites and read tales of woe from others who had bought property but not employed an independent solicitor or even any solicitor at all which lead to the majority of problems.
Our solicitor found a couple of anomalies with buildings not registered on our property which were rectified by the seller and money held back from the sale to facilitate this.
We had Spanish lessons prior to coming out here ( doesn’t prepare you fully though )
We thought of questions where something may go wrong and posed it on a forum to find the answer.
All I can say is research as much as possible.

Good luck!
Old May 25th 2019, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Monkey104
We have just bought and moved in to our home in Valencia. We spent three years looking at properties both online and in person. We visited many areas and Last August we spent a month looking at properties and made an offer on this property in the last week of our visit.
we visited place in the sun exhibitions, browsed and participated in forums such as this and others, Facebook sites and read tales of woe from others who had bought property but not employed an independent solicitor or even any solicitor at all which lead to the majority of problems.
Our solicitor found a couple of anomalies with buildings not registered on our property which were rectified by the seller and money held back from the sale to facilitate this.
We had Spanish lessons prior to coming out here ( doesn’t prepare you fully though )
We thought of questions where something may go wrong and posed it on a forum to find the answer.
All I can say is research as much as possible.

Good luck!
Well you certainly were very extensive in your search and taking the correct legal advice plus preparation for the move. Well done, I do hope all goes well.