British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Relocation to Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/relocation-spain-923677/)

Jamesbrook Mar 29th 2019 9:45 am

Relocation to Spain

Hello,
I have just retired and I am currently looking at properties in the Alfaz Del Pi area near to Benidorm.

I would appreciate some guidance on purchasing a property in Spain, the pitfalls and the best estate agents in that area. I have been dealing with Wunch Immo at Alicante who provide good video tours of properties.

tebo53 Mar 29th 2019 10:47 am

Re: Relocation to Spain

Originally Posted by Jamesbrook (Post 12662771)
Hello,
I have just retired and I am currently looking at properties in the Alfaz Del Pi area near to Benidorm.

I would appreciate some guidance on purchasing a property in Spain, the pitfalls and the best estate agents in that area. I have been dealing with Wunch Immo at Alicante who provide good video tours of properties.

HI James,
I can't help with property purchases etc as I rent but I retired to Benidorm about 5 years ago and if there is any specific questions I can help you with please ask.

Steve

Jamesbrook Mar 29th 2019 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 12662798)
HI James,
I can't help with property purchases etc as I rent but I retired to Benidorm about 5 years ago and if there is any specific questions I can help you with please ask.

Steve

Steve,
Many Thanks, one concern I have is getting my money out of Spain if I purchase a property and sell it, do you know if it’s difficult.?

Moses2013 Mar 29th 2019 2:23 pm

Hello,

The best estate agent doesn't exist and all you can do is look on the property websites such as idealista, fotocasa etc. You might find 5 different properties with 5 different estate agents and all you can do is go for the right property that suits your needs.

tebo53 Mar 29th 2019 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jamesbrook (Post 12662882)

Steve,
Many Thanks, one concern I have is getting my money out of Spain if I purchase a property and sell it, do you know if it’s difficult.?

I suggest, like many on here, that you rent a property for the first year while you get used to the Spanish way of life and requirements. Living here is very different from being on holiday. Have a look at transferwise for money transfers.

Steve

lyric030250 Mar 29th 2019 6:27 pm

What makes you think you will be able to sell a property � ����

chrisjolly Mar 30th 2019 9:40 am

Hello,

Hi James, I suggest you fly there first, have a look around and then rent somewhere for six months just to see how you like it. Many people try and find out through the internet but to be honest that is not the best way. The best and only way in the end is to see for yourself with your own eyes and listen to what people say directly to your face. Good luck.

bob_bob Mar 30th 2019 10:09 am

Steve,

Buying a property is easy, thousands of empty homes which make it a buyers market...come to selling it is a different matter. Why not rent for a year, renting is cheap compared to the UK.

dougal03 Mar 30th 2019 12:10 pm

Don't be discouraged James,I came to Spain 30 plus years ago.Always had a property in the Alfaz area.During the last 5 years I have bought & sold 4 properties .Just now am selling a property south costa blanca.And I am not a property speculator but since I retired from my business in Spain some 12 years ago,I have been investing my savings in housing & now just want to sit back instead.

missile Mar 30th 2019 1:07 pm

Steve,

Quite straight forward. You just do the reverse of bringing money to Spain.

Jamesbrook Apr 3rd 2019 9:46 am

Many thanks to all that have responded, any further comments would be appreciated.

missile Apr 3rd 2019 6:49 pm

Don't be in a rush. Take short term lease in a few locations. A great location for a two week holiday, may not be so appealing for a permanent home.

There are certainly some nice properties in Alfaz Del Pi on that website. What is your budget?

There is no substitute for boots on the ground, go look see and I make no apology for repeating myself
don't be in a rush.

Jamesbrook Apr 3rd 2019 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 12665599)
Don't be in a rush. Take short term lease in a few locations. A great location for a two week holiday, may not be so appealing for a permanent home.

There are certainly some nice properties in Alfaz Del Pi on that website. What is your budget?

There is no substitute for boots on the ground, go look see and I make no apology for repeating myself
don't be in a rush.

Thank you, dealing with an estate agent based in Alicante that has quite a few properties in the Alfaz Del Pi area. Planning a visit soon to have a look.

citizen_of_Barcelona Apr 8th 2019 10:22 am

I consulted a lawyer last year regarding this point and he told me that you can move money to and from Spain with no restrictions. The banking sectors in Spain is strong and so far I had no problems.

Jamesbrook Apr 8th 2019 10:39 am

Many thanks for the recent post responses.

Cape Blue Apr 10th 2019 9:59 am

Rent for the first year.

Use your own lawyer not the one recommended by the estate agent

The fact that a house has been there for years and has all the utilities and a council tax bill - does not mean it's a legal property.

Jamesbrook Apr 10th 2019 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12668520)
Rent for the first year.

Use your own lawyer not the one recommended by the estate agent

The fact that a house has been there for years and has all the utilities and a council tax bill - does not mean it's a legal property.

Can you elaborate on how one would find if a property is legal. Does this mean a local town hall inquiry or higher up the legal hierarchy.

Many Thanks

Cape Blue Apr 10th 2019 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Jamesbrook (Post 12668538)

Can you elaborate on how one would find if a property is legal. Does this mean a local town hall inquiry or higher up the legal hierarchy.

Many Thanks

To be honest it was the best part of 20 years ago for me so I can't remember the details, but I did see various people buy properties using the estate agents solicitor and the house had electricity council tax (IBI) bills etc etc ....... and then discover the property was not fully legal (and in these cases, the electricity had to be cut-off).

Do a search for "illegal" and other similar terms on this Spanish forum and I suspect you'll find plenty of threads with good information.

Jamesbrook Apr 10th 2019 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12668543)
To be honest it was the best part of 20 years ago for me so I can't remember the details, but I did see various people buy properties using the estate agents solicitor and the house had electricity council tax (IBI) bills etc etc ....... and then discover the property was not fully legal (and in these cases, the electricity had to be cut-off).

Do a search for "illegal" and other similar terms on this Spanish forum and I suspect you'll find plenty of threads with good information.

Many thanks for for your prompt response, yes I will investigate further.

Jillf May 23rd 2019 4:25 pm

Hi how did you manage to sell your properties we are trying to sell ours on with two estate agents but nithing yet and heed to sell due to personal reasons any help please

Jamesbrook May 23rd 2019 5:24 pm

Thanks for you thread message, the property I was interested in was sold to someone else before I had chance to visit Alfaz Del Pi. I’m currently still looking for a property.

Monkey104 May 25th 2019 11:45 am

We have just bought and moved in to our home in Valencia. We spent three years looking at properties both online and in person. We visited many areas and Last August we spent a month looking at properties and made an offer on this property in the last week of our visit.
we visited place in the sun exhibitions, browsed and participated in forums such as this and others, Facebook sites and read tales of woe from others who had bought property but not employed an independent solicitor or even any solicitor at all which lead to the majority of problems.
Our solicitor found a couple of anomalies with buildings not registered on our property which were rectified by the seller and money held back from the sale to facilitate this.
We had Spanish lessons prior to coming out here ( doesn’t prepare you fully though :) )
We thought of questions where something may go wrong and posed it on a forum to find the answer.
All I can say is research as much as possible.

Good luck!

Jamesbrook May 25th 2019 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Monkey104 (Post 12688889)
We have just bought and moved in to our home in Valencia. We spent three years looking at properties both online and in person. We visited many areas and Last August we spent a month looking at properties and made an offer on this property in the last week of our visit.
we visited place in the sun exhibitions, browsed and participated in forums such as this and others, Facebook sites and read tales of woe from others who had bought property but not employed an independent solicitor or even any solicitor at all which lead to the majority of problems.
Our solicitor found a couple of anomalies with buildings not registered on our property which were rectified by the seller and money held back from the sale to facilitate this.
We had Spanish lessons prior to coming out here ( doesn’t prepare you fully though :) )
We thought of questions where something may go wrong and posed it on a forum to find the answer.
All I can say is research as much as possible.

Good luck!

Well you certainly were very extensive in your search and taking the correct legal advice plus preparation for the move. Well done, I do hope all goes well.