British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Relocating to Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/relocating-spain-887551/)

Madrid Nov 17th 2016 1:32 am

Relocating to Spain

Hi all, I'm wanting to relocate from Australia to Spain with my family. I will be traveling on my British passport. However I'm unsure of the ramifications of Brexit??? Is it still possible for us to move? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!! Cheers..

mikelincs Nov 17th 2016 5:40 am

Re: Relocating to Spain

Originally Posted by Madrid (Post 12107106)
Hi all, I'm wanting to relocate from Australia to Spain with my family. I will be traveling on my British passport. However I'm unsure of the ramifications of Brexit??? Is it still possible for us to move? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!! Cheers..

Brexit hasn't even started yet, so no problems with that.

Madrid Nov 17th 2016 6:12 am

Cheers. Is there any guarantee we could stay in Spain once Brexit does start tho? As it will take us a few years to become permanent residents.

mikelincs Nov 17th 2016 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Madrid (Post 12107190)
Cheers. Is there any guarantee we could stay in Spain once Brexit does start tho? As it will take us a few years to become permanent residents.

No decisions have yet been made about any of the conditions regarding anything, so it's really a 'how long is a piece of string' question, however I doubt that any of the EU countries will want to make it so that people have to return once they are living there, it would lose the countries involved many millions.

Madrid Nov 17th 2016 6:51 am

Thanks for your help

Rosemary Nov 17th 2016 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Madrid (Post 12107106)

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Loafing Along Nov 17th 2016 11:45 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12107209)
No decisions have yet been made about any of the conditions regarding anything, so it's really a 'how long is a piece of string' question, however I doubt that any of the EU countries will want to make it so that people have to return once they are living there, it would lose the countries involved many millions.

Ask Theresa May, will be "Tit for Tat" type deal could go any way but surely those who are here should get to stay

rspltd Nov 17th 2016 3:51 pm

For those of us who can remember before the UK joined the EU, there was no problem then. In fact Spain became a refuge for ne'er-do-wells who were outside the reach of UK law.

Fred James Nov 17th 2016 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Loafing Along (Post 12107396)
surely those who are here should get to stay

If you have resided in Spain for 5 years (legally) you have the right of permanent residence. That is EU law and has nothing to do with Theresa May or Brexit.

Maur-Ross Nov 17th 2016 5:03 pm

Brussels saying today that after Brexit UK citizens will have to have visa waiver the same as USA. But they can travel as other nonEU citizens

rspltd Nov 17th 2016 5:43 pm

Not quite accurate. This is not 'Brussels' but a suggestion by France and Germany to introduce an 'ESTA' type system to counter terrorism which has occurred recently. Not a lot different to the system now whereby information has to be supplied in advance of flying - except of course there will be a charge. They will have to find the money somewhere.

romano70 Nov 17th 2016 5:53 pm

Hello. We live in the USA and we want to move to Spain but we worry about the language barrier, not because we'd refuse to learn, but more in terms of getting sick and not being able to communicate properly with doctors. Or if a crime is committed and would not be able to explain to police, etc. Is this a common fear? What are the biggest expat centers in Spain, where we could potentially make friends easier?

Thanks

Loafing Along Nov 17th 2016 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by romano70 (Post 12107703)
Hello. We live in the USA and we want to move to Spain but we worry about the language barrier, not because we'd refuse to learn, but more in terms of getting sick and not being able to communicate properly with doctors. Or if a crime is committed and would not be able to explain to police, etc. Is this a common fear? What are the biggest expat centers in Spain, where we could potentially make friends easier?

Thanks

Head to the Costa del Sol you will have few problems and will have time to learn.

lyric030250 Nov 17th 2016 6:01 pm

Interpreters are freely available at modest cost, In the hospitals there are Volunteer interpreters, certainly at my locals there are. Many of the younger doctors speak English these days.
I have little Spanish, I can't learn it due to a brain injury, and I have no difficulty with the doctor or the hospital.

Fred James Nov 17th 2016 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by romano70 (Post 12107703)
Or if a crime is committed and would not be able to explain to police, etc.

They are actually pretty switched on here. You can even report any incident from your phone (in English) using this app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cops.app&hl=en

Eventually you will need to visit the Guardia office to give details of the crime as you would be a witness, but from my experience they are very helpful and will make sure they have someone who can speak English.