Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Relocating Our Tour Business To Mallorca??

Relocating Our Tour Business To Mallorca??

Old Jun 26th 2009, 7:53 am
Just Joined

bond19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating Our Tour Business To Mallorca??

Hello all

I’m new to the forum so here is a little about myself

My name is Chris, and I currently live with my partner Ceri, where we live and work in the UK near Blackpool in the NW of England. During the day I run a tour operating business and at the evenings I work as an entertainer (close up magician). I have joined this forum because I am hoping to relocate to Spain. Because many of you have already ‘made the move’ I was hoping you could share your experiences and offer me your pearls of wisdom and much needed advise.

Here is my current situation (I know I’ve jumped in at the deep end with my request so sorry about that). I am wanting to relocate my existing business from the UK to Mallorca next year. Presently I operate scenic tours around the Lake District using a three seater ‘Boom’ trike (three seater motorbike bike) similar to the vehicle Billy Connelly took on his World tour around Australia & New Zealand, (SNIP)

By bringing my business to Mallorca, I would be helping to open up the Island to visitors by encouraging them to visit less tourist focussed places away from their resorts.

The vehicle is fully compliant with EC road safety and law requirements. Here in the UK I currently take pre-booked tours using a ‘private hire license’ issued by the local council (a taxi license).

My question is…

1. How do I go about re-locating and setting my business up in Mallorca?
2. What vehicle licenses are required and where do I obtain them?
3. What tour operating licenses or permits are required and where do I obtain them?
4. How do I go about using the vehicle for airport shuttle runs? Who do I contact? What permits or licenses are required and where do I obtain them?

I hear taxi licenses are almost impossible to obtain and to be honest is not quite what I am after (although I would consider one if offered).

I guess I am looking for a licence similar to what a coach or bus touring business would have. I know my request is unusual but if there is anybody here who could help and point me in the right direction that would be fantastic.

Any advice if greatly appreciated

Cheers

Chris Hurst
(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jun 26th 2009 at 9:30 am. Reason: Please dont post commercial links :-)
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating Our Tour Business To Mallorca??

Originally Posted by bond19
Hello all

I’m new to the forum so here is a little about myself

My name is Chris, and I currently live with my partner Ceri, where we live and work in the UK near Blackpool in the NW of England. During the day I run a tour operating business and at the evenings I work as an entertainer (close up magician). I have joined this forum because I am hoping to relocate to Spain. Because many of you have already ‘made the move’ I was hoping you could share your experiences and offer me your pearls of wisdom and much needed advise.

Here is my current situation (I know I’ve jumped in at the deep end with my request so sorry about that). I am wanting to relocate my existing business from the UK to Mallorca next year. Presently I operate scenic tours around the Lake District using a three seater ‘Boom’ trike (three seater motorbike bike) similar to the vehicle Billy Connelly took on his World tour around Australia & New Zealand, (SNIP)

By bringing my business to Mallorca, I would be helping to open up the Island to visitors by encouraging them to visit less tourist focussed places away from their resorts.

The vehicle is fully compliant with EC road safety and law requirements. Here in the UK I currently take pre-booked tours using a ‘private hire license’ issued by the local council (a taxi license).

My question is…

1. How do I go about re-locating and setting my business up in Mallorca?
2. What vehicle licenses are required and where do I obtain them?
3. What tour operating licenses or permits are required and where do I obtain them?
4. How do I go about using the vehicle for airport shuttle runs? Who do I contact? What permits or licenses are required and where do I obtain them?

I hear taxi licenses are almost impossible to obtain and to be honest is not quite what I am after (although I would consider one if offered).

I guess I am looking for a licence similar to what a coach or bus touring business would have. I know my request is unusual but if there is anybody here who could help and point me in the right direction that would be fantastic.

Any advice if greatly appreciated

Cheers

Chris Hurst
(SNIP)
Hi

You are in for a bureaucratic nigthtmare , its extremly unlikley you will be able to register your trike in Spain regardless of any EU approval ,if you speak spanish get in touch with www.vicracing.es ,they may be able to help but be sure they understand you intend to use it for private hire/tours, if you manage this your next problem would be getting insurance not easy.

I dont know anything about licenses for private hire etc ,I would find a decent gestor in Mallorca to look into it for you and be very clear of what vehicle type you intend to use.

Good Luck

Rotor
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rotor
Hi

You are in for a bureaucratic nigthtmare , its extremly unlikley you will be able to register your trike in Spain regardless of any EU approval ,if you speak spanish get in touch with www.vicracing.es ,they may be able to help but be sure they understand you intend to use it for private hire/tours, if you manage this your next problem would be getting insurance not easy.

I dont know anything about licenses for private hire etc ,I would find a decent gestor in Mallorca to look into it for you and be very clear of what vehicle type you intend to use.

Good Luck

Rotor
Hi Rotor.. Thanks for your honest advice. I know it''s going to be a difficult road ahead but it's something I really want to try to achieve. I will contact www.vicracing.es and explain my position (when I find some who can translate for me). I am learning Spanish but I am a complete beginner!!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:44 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

What´s a close up magician?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jur
What´s a close up magician?
A close up magician is one who walks around and mingles with guests. The magic is performed up close and usually involves the people, including borrowed items. Think of David Blaine (with much more personality) and you get a better idea.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 7:12 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

A close up magician is one who walks around and mingles with guests. The magic is performed up close and usually involves the people, including borrowed items. Think of David Blaine (with much more personality) and you get a better idea.
Does that mean you hang yourself 20 ft above the ground in a glass cage and dont eat for 30 days
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:13 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the explanation, sounds like a animation job for the OP.

I´d prefer Tommy Cooper over any magician..........
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:14 pm
OSN
Just Joined

OSN is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an FYI.

A company already operates four trikes here in the Southwest of Mallorca, so someone has managed the paperwork.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

This Brit family on Costa Blanca have quads and I think trikes, may be able to offer some advice having already "done it"http://www.calpemountain.com/quadbikes.htm
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Fredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Does that mean you hang yourself 20 ft above the ground in a glass cage and dont eat for 30 days
In the current finacial situation, with the £ being approximately equal to the Euro, and accomodation in Magaluf being what it is, I can see this as being a positive advantage !

Cheers
Fredthered
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OSN
Just an FYI.

A company already operates four trikes here in the Southwest of Mallorca, so someone has managed the paperwork.
Assuming they are operating legally, many of these types of business are not legal as insurance is not available.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 12:47 pm
OSN
Just Joined

OSN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rotor
Assuming they are operating legally, many of these types of business are not legal as insurance is not available.
Very true, I know lots of businesses of all types here on the island, and I wm willing to bet that not one of them has 100% the right paperwork licences or insurance in place. The layers of beaurocracy here make it very difficult, even for Spanish companies to get absolutely everything in place.

Its very confusing.