Reload this Page >

Relocating from England UK to Spain

Relocating from England UK to Spain

Old Aug 24th 2014, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

leigh 88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Relocating from England UK to Spain

hey everyone!!

i was wondering if anybody could give me any guidance as to where is good to live in spain near gibraltar.
my partner and i are moving due to him relocating to gibraltar with work.
we have been looking online for apartments/ houses to rent but they are extremely expensive in gibraltar, therefore we are now looking in spain.

we need the place to be close to the border due to us not driving. and pet friendly as we will be bringing out family pet. he is fully trained... also will they keep him in quarantine?

any help would be appreciated!!
my partner moves out there 22nd september and i will be moving out shortly afterwards once he has found a place for us to live!

thank you very much in advance

leigh xxx
Old Aug 24th 2014, 5:29 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating from England UK to Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 24th 2014, 5:56 pm
njf
Forum Regular

njf is an unknown quantity at this point

I will leave the many experts to give you more detail but the nearest town to Gibraltar is La Linea.

The reason I am replying to your question is that, before you give up on the idea of renting in Gibraltar, you should also investigate how the different tax regimes in Gib and Spain will affect you. As long as you are living in Spain for more than 183 days in a calendar year, you will be considered by Spain to be tax-resident and taxable on all your income. EG if you have ISAs in or National Savings certificates England or if you win any premium bond prizes, all this can be taxable in Spain. Also, if you or your husband take a lump sum from a pension plan. If you are arriving this year, that could mean you will be tax-resident in Spain next year.

All I am saying is that you should give some thought to how it might affect you before giving up on the idea of moving to Gib.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

The animal needs to be fully vaccinated and chipped, speak to your vet, pet passport with all up to date vacs, get onto it sooner rather than later, there is no quarantine if you are coming from UK. If there is we bought in two dogs illegally lol, bless them gone to doggy heaven a while back
Old Aug 25th 2014, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute

you need the passport for the dogs uk gov site is good for the info no quarantine now just passports , they need to have the rabies jab at least 21 day before travel and have to be chiped before they have this jab best speak to your vet habe fun
Old Aug 25th 2014, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Relocating from England UK to Spain

Originally Posted by leigh 88
hey everyone!!

i was wondering if anybody could give me any guidance as to where is good to live in spain near gibraltar.
my partner and i are moving due to him relocating to gibraltar with work.
we have been looking online for apartments/ houses to rent but they are extremely expensive in gibraltar, therefore we are now looking in spain.

we need the place to be close to the border due to us not driving. and pet friendly as we will be bringing out family pet. he is fully trained... also will they keep him in quarantine?

any help would be appreciated!!
my partner moves out there 22nd september and i will be moving out shortly afterwards once he has found a place for us to live!

thank you very much in advance

leigh xxx
Do read the Gibralter thread on here it details the hassle at the border on a daily basis which is not going to go away until there is a change of government in Spain. You could sit for up to eight hours a day one way and the other.
There have been lots of threads on just such a move as yours on here in the past do a search. La Linea just over the border is regarded as very down market but anywhere further away wold just add to the travel hassle if you don't have a car.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi leigh

It is very debatable as the which side of the frontier is the cheapest to live.
Yes accommodation in Spain is cheaper, but to that you have to add travel expenses and the time to get to and from.

My advice given many times before is to rent in Gib at first and then explore the pros and cons when you are here.

I assume by family pet you are referring to a dog?
It will need an up to date passport and then there is no problem, no quarantine. However it will make renting more difficult but not impossible.

The following website will give you an idea of rental prices, however word of mouth is usually cheaper, maybe your work could help with this matter.

http://propertygibraltar.com/index.p...&action=torent
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Do read the Gibralter thread on here it details the hassle at the border on a daily basis which is not going to go away until there is a change of government in Spain. You could sit for up to eight hours a day one way and the other.
There have been lots of threads on just such a move as yours on here in the past do a search. La Linea just over the border is regarded as very down market but anywhere further away wold just add to the travel hassle if you don't have a car.
Agree. Apart from La Linea you don't have many options without a car and La Linea would be the last choice for many reasons. Living space in Gibraltar is limited, so you can expect to pay high rents. If you have a dog, I'd say Gibraltar isn't pet friendly, because there aren't many places with a garden.