Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Relocating business due to VAT

Relocating business due to VAT

Old Oct 26th 2020, 10:34 am
Just Joined

BitsNPCs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating business due to VAT

Hi guys and thank you for the forums, I do hope I can finally make a decision as to what is best for my business.

Ok so here is the dilemma in short

I run an eCommerce business with small margins, my main products are attractive and competitive ONLY because I currently do not charge VAT! So if I go over the UK 85K threshold my business is then non-viable.

I have been investigating a way forward and here are my findings so far (please do correct me where I am wrong)

1) Spain does not have a VAT threshold - This could mean I can continue to sell at my current prices and be viable
--- HOWEVER, my business is online (sort of) I sell through amazon, physical software. however, I buy a physical product and ship a physical product - I am led to believe there is a 35K Eur threshold - What constitutes "€35,000 per annum threshold for foreign companies selling goods to Spanish consumers via the internet. "

2) As I never personally physically hold any stock my business can be run from anywhere in the world with the internet - a Virtual office in Spain pops up as a solution often

3) My current business in the UK is a LIMITED COMPANY - is there similar in Spain? - mainly do not want personal debt from any eventualities that could happen to the business

4) Would it be easier to set up a totally new business in Spain or is there a way to benefit from the VAT threshold by way of a satellite branch - opening a new business from scratch would cause other internal issues that would make the prospect much less appealing.

5) I hope I have covered everything but I am sure there is much missing

Thank you to all in advance that can help me
Old Oct 26th 2020, 11:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating business due to VAT

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I'm afraid you'll need to change your username, as per Site Rule 11. Please contact Admin ('contact us' button at the bottom of each page) and they can sort a change for you.

Thanks and good luck, I'm sure the lovely peeps in the Spain forum will be able to advise you well.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating business due to VAT

Originally Posted by BitsNPCs
Hi guys and thank you for the forums, I do hope I can finally make a decision as to what is best for my business.

Ok so here is the dilemma in short

I run an eCommerce business with small margins, my main products are attractive and competitive ONLY because I currently do not charge VAT! So if I go over the UK 85K threshold my business is then non-viable.

I have been investigating a way forward and here are my findings so far (please do correct me where I am wrong)

1) Spain does not have a VAT threshold - This could mean I can continue to sell at my current prices and be viable
--- HOWEVER, my business is online (sort of) I sell through amazon, physical software. however, I buy a physical product and ship a physical product - I am led to believe there is a 35K Eur threshold - What constitutes "€35,000 per annum threshold for foreign companies selling goods to Spanish consumers via the internet. "

2) As I never personally physically hold any stock my business can be run from anywhere in the world with the internet - a Virtual office in Spain pops up as a solution often

3) My current business in the UK is a LIMITED COMPANY - is there similar in Spain? - mainly do not want personal debt from any eventualities that could happen to the business

4) Would it be easier to set up a totally new business in Spain or is there a way to benefit from the VAT threshold by way of a satellite branch - opening a new business from scratch would cause other internal issues that would make the prospect much less appealing.

5) I hope I have covered everything but I am sure there is much missing

Thank you to all in advance that can help me
The equivalent of a Limited Company in Spain is an S.L. There is a clear procedure for setting one up and I believe the minimum capital requirement is Euro 3.000,- The more usual process is for a person to set-up as an "Autonomo" which is relatively straight forward only progressing to an S.L. as the business develops .

You need guidance from a good accountant.