Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Registering UK plated motorhomes in Spain

Registering UK plated motorhomes in Spain

Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Registering UK plated motorhomes in Spain

Has anyone seen Brian Dellar's recent reply in the RTN to a question about a UK plated motorhome which the owner wants to import to Spain.
Brian states that:
"Vehicles that are configured like this that do not have 360 degree uninterrupted vision (except for the windows and supporting pillars) from the driver's seat and are therefore not accepted in Spain (and much of the continent) for safety reasons except for a tourist visit."
This seems to say unequivocally that you cannot import a right hand drive motorhome to Spain.
Yet our local ITV station assures me (verbally) that you can.
I've asked a friend in the Guardia Civil for the official answer.
Any thoughts from those who have done it or those who have been denied, would be welcome.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:35 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering UK plated motorhomes in Spain

There is someone here who did matriculate a motorhome, but it was tremendously difficult. I think certificates of conformity and other documentation was required.

It's certainly true afaik that vans and trucks cant be matriculated in Spain, and maionly because of the vision aspect. Many motorhomes are caravans on van chassis of course.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:00 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
There is someone here who did matriculate a motorhome, but it was tremendously difficult. I think certificates of conformity and other documentation was required.

It's certainly true afaik that vans and trucks cant be matriculated in Spain, and maionly because of the vision aspect. Many motorhomes are caravans on van chassis of course.
Could well be that they can't because of the doors and door opening being on the side which opens into traffic if they have a side door.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:16 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Could well be that they can't because of the doors and door opening being on the side which opens into traffic if they have a side door.
Dunno, I had a Rapido in the UK, and being French the doors were on the wrong side with that. Used to annoy people on camp sites
Old Mar 19th 2011, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
Has anyone seen Brian Dellar's recent reply in the RTN to a question about a UK plated motorhome which the owner wants to import to Spain.
Brian states that:
"Vehicles that are configured like this that do not have 360 degree uninterrupted vision (except for the windows and supporting pillars) from the driver's seat and are therefore not accepted in Spain (and much of the continent) for safety reasons except for a tourist visit."
This seems to say unequivocally that you cannot import a right hand drive motorhome to Spain.
Yet our local ITV station assures me (verbally) that you can.
I've asked a friend in the Guardia Civil for the official answer.
Any thoughts from those who have done it or those who have been denied, would be welcome.
I would not risk trying as the chances are you'll end up with a huge bill and end up taking it back to the UK, it`s easier to conform like a good Spanish resident should and buy one at twice the price in Spain
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

If I remeber rightly so long as your side door doesn,t open on the roadside of the traffic you can but you have to pay 12% tax if you plan on visiting the uk once a year you could do it there, keeping it legal with tax and insurance in the uk, although you are not supposed to spend more than 6 months in Spain with the veichle, but lots of people do it,you decide if that suits you or not.
Your answer can be found on the forum at

www.motorhomefacts.co.uk its really good for infomation.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:46 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by adra04778
although you are not supposed to spend more than 6 months in Spain with the veichle, but lots of people do it,you decide if that suits you or not.
Your answer can be found on the forum at

www.motorhomefacts.co.uk its really good for infomation.
And you know what the possible consequences are if you are found out? Just because people do it, doesnt mean its legal
Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

So I was under the impression that ALL UK reg motorhomes were a problem.
Are you saying that it only applies to RHD models and therefore LHD uk reg models are OK, just a case of re matriculation?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:29 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
So I was under the impression that ALL UK reg motorhomes were a problem.
Are you saying that it only applies to RHD models and therefore LHD uk reg models are OK, just a case of re matriculation?
As far as I know the problem will be mostly with RHD motorhomes. Apart from ensuring they have a COC, afaik there shouldnt be a problem with EU LHD motoholes .... unless anyone knows different

I must admit I was scanning though LHD motohimes for sale in the UK recently in the hope of grabbing a bargain
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know the problem will be mostly with RHD motorhomes. Apart from ensuring they have a COC, afaik there shouldnt be a problem with EU LHD motoholes .... unless anyone knows different

I must admit I was scanning though LHD motohimes for sale in the UK recently in the hope of grabbing a bargain
I'm still waiting for a reply from my tame Guardia Civil officer - but his initial reaction was that he's seen RHD vans with Spanish plates - and being a van owner himself, he notices these things.
I'm actually trying to assist a friend with this - i.e. she's bought one and now trying to matriculate it. She has a "gestor" who forsees no problems.
Hmmm - I always want to know the full SP before trusting these people who seem adept at performing half a job and committing you to the required expenditure.
I would believe our local ITV station guy - if it were in writing. Experience tells me to be wary unless it is.
Its a natural synicism born of 8 years clawing my way through Spanish redtape and rip-offs.
There are so many grey areas in law here and equally many ways to fiddle your way through on a semi-legal basis but with an element of risk attached.
I'm inclined to believe Mr Dellar - i.e. not possible - because he usually sticks to the letter of the law.
Realistically, if you want a worry-free life here, that's the best way to go.

My thoughts are focused more on buying one in Holland or Germany if the price is right. Matriculation is no great problem once you've done it the first time. Its got to be smarter than trudging all the way back to England for an MOT every year and being an illegal driver all the time in Spain.

Thanks for all your contributions.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

COC? Is that certificate of conformation? If so do they come with UK reg vehicle or do you have to apply here?
As Loco pedro says I don't trust the spanish to get a straight answer and have been reluctant to try and pick up a bargain in UK only for it to turn into a money pit and bureaucratic nightmare here.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

We bought our LHD motorhome in Belguim and that was no problem, yes you will need the certificate of confomation, as I said all the answers are on the motorhome forum, it has a very big membership, and reading the forum is free, after 3 or 5 posts you have to join, to post again, but it is invaluable to motorhomers.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Some friends of ours are currently in the process of importing a RHD motorhome. Their gestor or the engineer has told them the problem is that the UK log book states that its a van. Evidently, they can send it back to Swansea and get it re-classified as a motorhome, then the problem disappears.
I remain to be convinced so I'll update this thread in a few weeks when it arrives back from Swansea.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

AS an ex motorhomer; I imported a LHD, UK purchased motorhome to Italy, and re registered it; with quite a lot of hassle and paperwork, about €1300, and 6 months of patience and scurrying backwards and forwards. The process will be very similar in Spain I'm sure; because EU regulations govern much of the paperwork. The problem with registering a RHD UK motorhome in Europe, is BECAUSE THE HABITATION DOOR IS ON THE WRONG SIDE. That's all, all the rest would be OK with a few little modifications e.g. speedometer marked in Kph., rear fog lights moved to t'other side, and little things like that. As I was doing the final examination on mine, a RHD ex London Cab with these little modifications was passing its test OK.
'lluego,
'o nonno (abuelo)