British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   registering for school (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/registering-school-395876/)

lynnxa Sep 11th 2006 8:04 am

registering for school

I just took my neighbours to school for the first day with their 5 year old girl....she was on the list in June but not now...........seems they need some more forms...

OK.....photos, medical etc.,

but they are insisting on application for residencia!!!!!!

we don't have this...nor do the vast majority of our friends with kids in school.......mine are in their 3rd year at this school
(I know of one family where the mum has been here 17 years & still uses UK health card :confused: no NIE, no nothing. 2 kids born here, one born in UK, all 3 in school)

anyone know, if legally, they can insist on this, since they are EU members??

they are saying she can't start until they have applied for residencia

malagaman Sep 12th 2006 8:20 am

Re: registering for school

Is the child registered with the town hall? We had to register ourselves and the children in order to get them into school, without this we wouldn't have been considered. It may vary from region to region but we are in Coin, Malaga region

mikelincs Sep 12th 2006 11:33 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I just took my neighbours to school for the first day with their 5 year old girl....she was on the list in June but not now...........seems they need some more forms...

we don't have this...nor do the vast majority of our friends with kids in school.......mine are in their 3rd year at this school
(I know of one family where the mum has been here 17 years & still uses UK health card :confused: no NIE, no nothing. 2 kids born here, one born in UK, all 3 in school)

Do they actually mean residencia, or just being on the padron. There were a few stories round here about people having to be on the padron, and apparently you can get an 'emergency' one to allow you child to get into a school.
Friends here have a child of 5, and he started school yesterday, they do not yet have residencia, and have only been in Spain since April, not sure if they have yet applied for residencia.

lynnxa Sep 12th 2006 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Do they actually mean residencia, or just being on the padron. There were a few stories round here about people having to be on the padron, and apparently you can get an 'emergency' one to allow you child to get into a school.
Friends here have a child of 5, and he started school yesterday, they do not yet have residencia, and have only been in Spain since April, not sure if they have yet applied for residencia.

You definately have to be on the padron. At our ayuntamiento this is a very simple process - you just turn up with passport, rental contract or proof of ownership of your property, and photocopies of these, queue up & it's done on the spot.

They're on the padron, did everything else right (as far as I could see), just forgot to get the medical & some photos.
The list of requirements given to me by the school secretary definately says 'residencia'

my kids are now in their 3rd year at that school, we have not applied for residencia, & neither have most of our friends..............

they're going back tomorrow with everything except the residencia (or application) so we shall see...................

mikelincs Sep 12th 2006 2:17 pm

You definately have to be on the padron. At our ayuntamiento this is a very simple process - you just turn up with passport, rental contract or proof of ownership of your property, and photocopies of these, queue up & it's done on the spot.

They're on the padron, did everything else right (as far as I could see), just forgot to get the medical & some photos.
The list of requirements given to me by the school secretary definately says 'residencia'

my kids are now in their 3rd year at that school, we have not applied for residencia, & neither have most of our friends..............

they're going back tomorrow with everything except the residencia (or application) so we shall see...................

The residencia requirement seems a bit much, we have our residencia form showing we have applied in November 2005, and we've got the date for fingerprinting, Sept 2007 :scared: even that form is only dated March 2006, so took 6 months to get that far. You shouldn't, according to information here, have to have any more than the padron.

Chiclanagir Sep 12th 2006 5:10 pm

How do they get away with using a UK health card for 17 years!!!

lynnxa Sep 13th 2006 9:06 am

Originally Posted by glynis
How do they get away with using a UK health card for 17 years!!!

god alone knows!!!!!!!!!!

though she did go back to the UK for a couple of years until about 18mths ago..............so maybe that helps??

mikelincs Sep 13th 2006 12:41 pm

god alone knows!!!!!!!!!!

though she did go back to the UK for a couple of years until about 18mths ago..............so maybe that helps??

No, because once you have been out of the UK for more than 183 consecutive days you are no longer considered to be a UK resident, and are considered to be Spanish resident, and have to apply for residencia, I know that is likely to change next year.

lynnxa Sep 13th 2006 1:32 pm

No, because once you have been out of the UK for more than 183 consecutive days you are no longer considered to be a UK resident, and are considered to be Spanish resident, and have to apply for residencia, I know that is likely to change next year.

as far as I know she's getting away with it somehow!!

mikelincs Sep 13th 2006 2:02 pm

as far as I know she's getting away with it somehow!!

Same as many people are getting away with driving illegal cars over here, ones that have not been re-registered, it's OK till something happens, then watch when the s**t hits the fan. You see a lot of small notices asking for help finding cars that have 'gone missing' but I bet they aren't reported to the police as they are always UK registered cars. :(

malagaman Sep 13th 2006 2:08 pm

''No, because once you have been out of the UK for more than 183 consecutive days you are no longer considered to be a UK resident, and are considered to be Spanish resident, and have to apply for residencia, I know that is likely to change next year.''

I didn't think it was compulsory to apply for residencia or am I wrong?

mikelincs Sep 13th 2006 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by malagaman
''No, because once you have been out of the UK for more than 183 consecutive days you are no longer considered to be a UK resident, and are considered to be Spanish resident, and have to apply for residencia, I know that is likely to change next year.''

I didn't think it was compulsory to apply for residencia or am I wrong?

Possibly no. but you do get plenty of advantages when a resident. For instance, you can get a much better mortgage deal, I believe you have to be a resident to get a credit card. But if you have left the Uk, and are not a Spanish resident, where are you a resident of? What about getting a EHIC for going back to the UK. You certainly should be, at a minimum, on the padron. The local authorities use the numbers on the padron to estimate school, police, postal provisions for your area, so the more people on the padron, in theory the more local police and more school places there should be.

lynnxa Sep 13th 2006 3:14 pm

Possibly no. but you do get plenty of advantages when a resident. For instance, you can get a much better mortgage deal, I believe you have to be a resident to get a credit card. But if you have left the Uk, and are not a Spanish resident, where are you a resident of? What about getting a EHIC for going back to the UK. You certainly should be, at a minimum, on the padron. The local authorities use the numbers on the padron to estimate school, police, postal provisions for your area, so the more people on the padron, in theory the more local police and more school places there should be.

You can be 'resident' without getting 'residencia'

we don't have residencia, yet are 'resident' ie we live here, the kids are in school here, tax etc. here, and have a 'residents' bank account

as far as I can see the only advantage to 'residencia' is a tax advantage upon selling a property

lynnxa Sep 13th 2006 3:18 pm

Back to the original point..................

the little girl started school today (loved it!)

jobsworth secretary at school tried to refuse her with no residencia...my neighbour's translator/legal advisor gave him what for about the legality of his demands and he backed down :D

so it seems we were right......no residencia needed