British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   registering for payment of non residents poroperty tax (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/registering-payment-non-residents-poroperty-tax-787086/)

mikeglover Feb 12th 2013 7:47 am

registering for payment of non residents poroperty tax

Does anyone know a good (English speaking) solicitor in or near to Pinoso who can start me off on the process of paying non-residents tax on my property

SueG Feb 12th 2013 8:04 am

Re: registering for payment of non residents poroperty tax

Originally Posted by mikeglover (Post 10539463)
Does anyone know a good (English speaking) solicitor in or near to Pinoso who can start me off on the process of paying non-residents tax on my property

Hi you do not need a Solicitor just a local Gestor. Your non residents tax is due yearly and taken out of your bank account on the 31st December. The tax is based on your catastral value of your property.

mikeglover Feb 12th 2013 9:06 am

Many thanks Sue. Dont suppose you know of a good, English speaking gestor in the Pinoso area?

Mitzyboy Feb 12th 2013 10:26 am

Or you could do it yourself if you are in the UK and pay very little

http://spanishtaxforms.co.uk/

EsuriJohn Feb 12th 2013 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 10539732)

If you just want to start the process by registering your presence with the tax office each owner could fill in a Modelo 030 which you can get from your local Hacienda or I think you can find it online.

bobd22 Feb 12th 2013 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 10539732)

I have used them last few years very good service quick and they can Email you completed forms so can be used even if you are inSpain. Just got mine done last week to take over and pay next month, £24.95 per property no matter how many owners/sets of forms

Mitzyboy Feb 12th 2013 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 10540017)
I have used them last few years very good service quick and they can Email you completed forms so can be used even if you are inSpain. Just got mine done last week to take over and pay next month, £24.95 per property no matter how many owners/sets of forms

I got the link from you bob :-)

bobd22 Feb 12th 2013 2:03 pm

Great service Mitzy so easy and they don, t rip you off unlike some

Domino Feb 12th 2013 3:45 pm

sounds good - we wanted some legal papers translated for the taxman in Madrid, our solicitor quoted £1,000 for the privilege, turned out that the BH works with a Spanish girl who is an approved and listed translator just can't get any work in that field. She charged 10c a word, the final bill was less than €200.

you really do have to shop around and get the best deal.

`

Arthurs Glove Feb 14th 2013 1:00 pm

I use Spanish Tax Forms also and can confirm they provide a good service. As a matter of interest, are there any other taxes that non-residents are required to pay. I was aware they used to pay the wealth tax but this was withdrawn a couple of years ago. Not sure if I read somewhere it has been re-instated.

snikpoh Feb 14th 2013 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Arthurs Glove (Post 10544563)
I use Spanish Tax Forms also and can confirm they provide a good service. As a matter of interest, are there any other taxes that non-residents are required to pay. I was aware they used to pay the wealth tax but this was withdrawn a couple of years ago. Not sure if I read somewhere it has been re-instated.

Yes, it was never, in fact, withdrawn - just reduced to 0% rate.

It has been reinstated but I think you have to have over 700k euros of personal wealth (twice for a couple) before it kicks in (and even then there are allowances for main residence etc.).

mikeglover Feb 14th 2013 1:53 pm

I thought that the wealth tax, albeit at 0% was only payable by residents, not non-residents

Fred James Feb 14th 2013 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by mikeglover (Post 10544641)
I thought that the wealth tax, albeit at 0% was only payable by residents, not non-residents

It's payable by non residents for assets in Spain which is normally only their "holiday" home.

The extra allowance of €300k does not apply because it is, by definition, not their habitual residence as that is in their country of residence.

mikeglover Feb 14th 2013 4:06 pm

I think i understand now. Does this mean then, that, if they raised the wealth tax to, say, 3 %, a non resident would pay 3% wealth tax on the value of their spanish property over 700,000 PLUS the non residents property tax (1.1% of valore catastral - if revalued after 1994)

Fred James Feb 14th 2013 4:51 pm

Wealth tax and imputed income tax are, and have always been, entirely separate taxes and in the past non residents have had to pay both.

Now the NR income tax still has to be paid but wealth tax is only applicable if you have very significant Spanish assets.