Registering a car in Spain

Registering a car in Spain

Old Mar 14th 2021, 7:48 pm
Dor
Just Joined

Dor is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Registering a car in Spain

First of all, hello, everyone!

I'm new to here. And to living abroad. It's really nice to meet whoever reads this. *Waves*

I wonder whether anyone at all might be able to help me with some advice, as I'm awfully confused.

I moved to Spain at the very end of last year. Armed with a transfer to work in my company's office here, and just slipping in before the transition period ended. I drove here with the most important of my worldly possessions and have the car with me still. (It's not like I can go back to Britain any time soon!) I have a little more time to register it in Spain, but I'm just so confused by the whole process and I wonder whether anyone has successfully managed to work their way through this process, or whether I should. just hold fire until I can get back to the UK and then sell it there? Or scrap it over here. Or can anyone recommend a gestor who they've used to manage the process? I'm very confused...

Thanks in advance!

Old Mar 14th 2021, 8:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering a car in Spain

Welcome to BE.
We do ask new members to have a quick read of the forum rules. https://britishexpats.com/site-rules/, and should you have any site related problems please contact one of the moderators, names in bold at the bottom of each forum page.

I have asked a moderator to move your post to the Spain forum as this one is really only for introductions and It's possible your post may not be seen by those best placed to help.
Old Mar 14th 2021, 8:58 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola y bienvenido
I have helped to rematriculated many cars; I always asked if they had the car for some while and were happy with it as the cost of matriculation was over 650€. You have to think about keeping the car for a couple of years so you should be happy that it will keep going without an exorbitant expense,

The process, broken down in parts, is not difficult, just take it one step at a time.

Davexf
Old Mar 14th 2021, 11:43 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the steps of in Spanish, the only spanner in the works is that is the car considered to be from an EU country (as it was when it was brought in) or not (as it isn't now).
Old Mar 15th 2021, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

As helpful and well intentioned offering up such links might be it's an unfortunate but well known fact of life in Spain that in very many, if not most instances, written official procedures can be regarded as little more than guidelines open to local if not individual interpretation, the registering of cars imported from UK falls ​​​​​​firmly into that category but now with the added complication of UK becoming a so called 3rd country and with thus far at least precious few reports from people who have successful - or otherwise - navigated their way through the process as it now stands.

Trying to do it whilst holding down a full time job can't be easy either which is why my advice would be to contact one of the numerous outfits who offer the service.

Without knowing the OP's location it's difficult to recommend any one in particular but for the Alicante/Costa Blanca region, and from personal experience, I would suggest https://www.spanish-number-plates.com/

As an overarching principal bringing over a car from UK really only makes sense if you plan to keep it and run into the ground, Even when Spanish registered RHD cars are worth very little with the market being confined almost solely to other Brits looking for something cheap when selling one anything you might have initially saved will be wiped out - and then some.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Notdunroamin; Mar 15th 2021 at 6:51 am.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 8:26 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

How about UK classic/vintage cars? Do they get any special treatment or there are less hoops to jump thru?
Old Mar 15th 2021, 9:14 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
As helpful and well intentioned offering up such links might be it's an unfortunate but well known fact of life in Spain that in very many, if not most instances, written official procedures can be regarded as little more than guidelines open to local if not individual interpretation
​​​
In my time here I can't say I've found any procedures which differed from those given on the official website. I usually bring a pile of other paperwork just in case, but it never gets asked for. Maybe they're like that up north.

But as I said, I don't know if this will be considered an EU car or a non-EU car. If there's no procedure defined for that then I guess there will be problems. If it's considered an EU car you may need to prove the date of entry somehow (probably impossible to do unless they accept the start of the owner's residency), if it's considered a non-EU car then you will be asked for import documents you don't have.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 10:16 am
Just Joined

ludojoey is an unknown quantity at this point

My experience to register a car from France (in Sevilla, Andalucia), so a car from EU (don't know if your car can be now considered as it with Brexit):
- Ask your ITV station to do an inspection. You must tell it is for an imported car for registration purpose, and to get the "tarjeta ITV". (cost I had to pay: about 140 euros)
In my case, I had to do 2 appointements : first, to make the "sollicitud" (bring papers : Your NIE or TIE, papers of the car, and a COC (certificate of conformity from the manufacturer)).
Second appointment was for the real technical inspection (take 10/15 mns).
- Then, if you are eligible for exemption of registration tax (you must do the registration in a frame of two month of its entry in Spain), you must fill the "modelo 06" from Hacienda, and ask for an appointment to your Hacienda office to give this paper.
You will also need your NIE/TIE, ID, invoice of the car, Tarjeta ITV.
If you are not exempted, it will be another form (modelo 576 I guess), and you will have to pay a % on the purchase price.
- Then you must pay to your city hall the IVTM , this is the annual tax and get the paper that prove you paid it. (cost depend of the power of your car)
- Then, you have to get an appointment to the DGT office with all the papers, and finnally you will get your matriculation (I got it the same day). Cost about 90 euros.
- Finally, you can go to make your registration plates.

If it can help..
As in Spain procedure can slighly change from a city to another!
Sorry for my pretty bad English.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 9:29 pm
Dor
Just Joined

Dor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. And to you, mikelincs for moving it to the right place!

I'm in Madrid, not that I'm sure whether that will make any sort of difference. The car itself is 16 years old and isn't worth a great deal. Perhaps £1,500 back at home, but it's in good nick and, as it's a Volvo, I reckon it'll make it to 20 without any major upset. That being said, €600 or so is a lot of money for something that won't get used a great deal. I have dropped Spanish Number Plates a line and will see what they say! I'll keep this post updated as I get on in case it's of use to anyone else.

My brother and sister-in-law are relocating out here later in the year. I'll advise them not to bother driving!
Old Mar 16th 2021, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

It's 11 years ago now but I gave everything to a local gestor who did the lot very efficiently and cheaply including changing our driving licenses to Spanish. All I had to do was take the car for its registration ITV and give those papers to the gestor wnen done. He supplied the new reg plates too.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 5:15 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

If the steering wheel is all they want, I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference which side it is on...

Old Apr 11th 2021, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dor
First of all, hello, everyone!

I'm new to here. And to living abroad. It's really nice to meet whoever reads this. *Waves*

I wonder whether anyone at all might be able to help me with some advice, as I'm awfully confused.

I moved to Spain at the very end of last year. Armed with a transfer to work in my company's office here, and just slipping in before the transition period ended. I drove here with the most important of my worldly possessions and have the car with me still. (It's not like I can go back to Britain any time soon!) I have a little more time to register it in Spain, but I'm just so confused by the whole process and I wonder whether anyone has successfully managed to work their way through this process, or whether I should. just hold fire until I can get back to the UK and then sell it there? Or scrap it over here. Or can anyone recommend a gestor who they've used to manage the process? I'm very confused...

Thanks in advance!
No need for customs clearance for personal items

https://www.agenciatributaria.es/AEA...a_Aduana.shtml

You'll need information in the personal ("vehicles" and "reliefs for change of residence" would be the two most important I guess) and general sections.

Old Apr 13th 2021, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
How about UK classic/vintage cars? Do they get any special treatment or there are less hoops to jump thru?

Pre-brexit /to get a H(istoric) plate - the car needed to be accredited/certified by an "approved" classic car club here in Spain as being exactly what you say it is, and then the rest of the normal things.

It can not be modified in ANY modern way. no new lights, no new wheels, no new exhaust. I´ve seen a 60´s BMW turned away because the wheels fitted were made in 1983 and were not available in the 1960´s - the guy had to source a new set of OG / NOS 60´s wheels to get through the registration process for a H plate. Thats how absolutely a*al they are about it - if its modified theres no H plate for you.

Whats the advantage of a H plate ? Much cheaper insurance, but it comes at a price - it can only be driven for weekends / shows / drives with the club.

Post Brexit? No clue - I´ve not seen anyone doing it yet.
Old Aug 25th 2021, 5:57 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

So what happened ?
Did you manage to get it done ?

And if so what was the total cost ?