Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

REGISTER ENGLISH CAR IN SPAIN ??

REGISTER ENGLISH CAR IN SPAIN ??

Old Sep 29th 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Red Devil is an unknown quantity at this point
Post REGISTER ENGLISH CAR IN SPAIN ??

New to the forum and need some help and advice.

Have been offered an english car with the house we are looking at. It has not been used for some time (does look quite old) so needs MOT, registering and whatever else it has to have. Is it worth it as I don't know the procedures and possible cost. Or am I better to buy a spanish car when I get there. Any advice please.

Also does anyone know where to get NIEs in Orihuela costa/Torrevieja areas.

Thanks.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

malagaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: REGISTER ENGLISH CAR IN SPAIN ??

Originally Posted by Red Devil
New to the forum and need some help and advice.

Have been offered an english car with the house we are looking at. It has not been used for some time (does look quite old) so needs MOT, registering and whatever else it has to have. Is it worth it as I don't know the procedures and possible cost. Or am I better to buy a spanish car when I get there. Any advice please.

Also does anyone know where to get NIEs in Orihuela costa/Torrevieja areas.

Thanks.
Welcome Red Devil. This subject has been covered many many times and is always a bone of contention with varying degrees of advice re the pros and cons. If you use the search facility and look in the 'Free Beer Thread' all will be revealed but be prepared for a lot of reading !!! Good luck
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:22 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Re-registering a car is NOT an easy process and comes with a high price tag - the lights have to be changed for one and that is NOT cheap! Then there is all the running around involved, you will need a translator if you don't speak Spanish as it isn't straightforward and you have to visit various offices besides the ITV station. You will need your NIE and padron also so get those first. There are people who are prepared (at a price) to do all the running around for you.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of

Hi there as others have said it should be possible to register your car overhere providing you are prepared for a lot of aggravation. You could check out my very early thread about how I registered my RHD Landrover over here earlier this year.

Having gone through the exercise twice now my thoughts are

1) only go down this route if you really have some attachment to the vehicle it is going to cost a fair bit, at least 500 to 600 euros plus whatever 'import' tax they decide to charge which is 12% of the value of the car.

2) Unless you are prepared to do all the work and running around youself and this will involve some ability with the language you are better off getting a gestor to do it all for you. This will cost a further 200 odd euros.

To comply with the law of Spain and the EU the car has to be legal in the country in which it is registered so you cannot LEGALLY use it over here on UK plates unless it is legal in the UK.

The free beer thread has loads of advice and I am sure JRD will set you on the right path.

Good luck

Steve
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say it was not expensive to change our cars, it does depend upon the age and I suspect this car is elderly if being given with the house.
re difficulty doing, when I changed ours I had little spanish and thought the whole procedure was actually quite straightforward and we had the problem in the fact the car had previously been imptorted to UK so that was the date they tried using for the manufacture date, that was easily resolved, the gestor we used gave us a list to follow and we did religously, dont be put off.
I would certainly not have bought in a new car but as ours were over 8 years old it bought the "import" tax down considerably.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Red Devil is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: REGISTER ENGLISH CAR IN SPAIN ??

Thank you all for the information. Food for thought, anyway!

I am now finding my way around the forum and have discovered lots of information on the FREE BEER thread, now I know what it is. Had assumed it was something my hubby would be interested in !!
Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:11 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Devil
Thank you all for the information. Food for thought, anyway!

I am now finding my way around the forum and have discovered lots of information on the FREE BEER thread, now I know what it is. Had assumed it was something my hubby would be interested in !!
If you haven`t owned the car for 6 months you will also pay extra import taxes.
If they want to get shot of it, get them to put it on Spanish plates for you, but I would tell them to take it with them. ;-))
Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
If you haven`t owned the car for 6 months you will also pay extra import taxes.
If they want to get shot of it, get them to put it on Spanish plates for you, but I would tell them to take it with them. ;-))
As JDR says, giving it away with the house is a hell of a lot easier for them than dealing with its' disposal. Even if it was an old banger already on Spanish plates, if you wanted to scrap it, you still have to prove that it is insured!!
Tim
Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:40 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
As JDR says, giving it away with the house is a hell of a lot easier for them than dealing with its' disposal. Even if it was an old banger already on Spanish plates, if you wanted to scrap it, you still have to prove that it is insured!!
Tim
And pay all the road tax up to date......
Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:50 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to agree with the coments about telling them to take it away, it sounds as though it amy wll not be worth the cost of the matriculation onto Spanish Plates, and, if you did and there were outstanding fines on it, remebering that it is curently illegal, and may well have been run illegally by the current people in the house, then you would have all those to pay as well.
Get rid and get geta car when you get here.
You can get NIEs at Torrevieja, Orihuela, Alicante.