Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Regional stereotypes...

Regional stereotypes...

Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:10 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Regional stereotypes...

We went through Spanish stereotypes on a course I took - it was many years ago so I'm sure I've forgotten half of them, but they went (I think) along these lines:

Andaluces - very happy party people, always appear glad to see you. But any promises made one day are normally forgotten by the next day.

Catalanes - Very tight with their money, but very astute in financial subjects

Aragoneses - Someone who has very strong opinions about most subjects - you will never change their opinion

Valencianos - like the people from Aragon, they have very strong opinions (note: if you ask about the authentic way to make paella, you'll find this out very quickly)

Gallegos - able to hold conflicting opinions at the same time, but never really let on what they truely believe.

all wild stereotypes of course - anyone heard of different ones?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:41 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regional stereotypes...

An article here on overall stereotypes. I've read other stuff by the author and disagreed with some of what he says, but I think here he nails the true or myth aspect of most people's views of the Spanish

http://www.matthewbennett.es/553/spanish-stereotypes-2/

Spanish people eat lots of tortilla: Spanish people eat quite a lot of tortilla. You can ask for it in about 75% of bar-restaurants that you go to, as long as they serve Spanish food (and are not an Italian, Chinese or other restaurant, or only serve drinks). It is sometimes made with a little onion as well as the potatoes and in some towns in the north they make interesting double tortillas with a tasty filling. A good great tortilla is one of the staples of every Spanish mother’s cooking inventory and everybody’s mum always makes the tastiest one. Tortilla is definitely very tasty and worth getting to know properly. Tortilla is not something that people eat every day though, or at every meal, and not everybody likes it.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:35 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The people of galicia are regarded as "different" by the rest of Spain. There are many Spanish jokes about them similar to the English ones about the Irish.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:49 pm
Not Banned (yet)

I remember the Madrileño one now - as well as being party animals they always harp on about how things are bigger and better in Madrid, so are seen as arrogant by people from the rest of Spain. (of course imo they are right )
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:30 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
The people of galicia are regarded as "different" by the rest of Spain. There are many Spanish jokes about them similar to the English ones about the Irish.
Different, too right.............

We are seen as not being able to give a straight answer, which in my case is a load of crap, I shoot from the hip.

We are seen as being a bit on the tight side, which in my case is the opposite, I am of the opinion that when you are dead you cant spend money so you may as well spend while you have the chance and I dont do "cutre"

We are seen as being lovers of land and agriculture, not me, prefer city centry.

We are seen as having very conservative tastes in food and stick to the traditional. I will eat everything including "foreign food"

We are seen as not being the usual all gratefull,welcoming to strangers that other parts of Spain are, which I suppose is very true.

We are seen as not too friendly, living next door, or greeting eachother in the street does not count as friendship, it counts as a "conocido". which in my case is true, I distingush between friends and acquaintences with a very wide line.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:43 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone been to Lepe in Huelva province?? We went there last summer to watch Bristol City play Charlton Athletic in a pre-season friendly.

Apparently people from Lepe are thick.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:46 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Anyone been to Lepe in Huelva province?? We went there last summer to watch Bristol City play Charlton Athletic in a pre-season friendly.

That is what the say.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Because of their Celtic roots I guess. The same with Bretons in France. The mainstream population can't get its head round the complexities of Celtic culture and wisdom so it resorts to taking the p1ss.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato

Maybe not so thick, if it brings in the tourists!

The town of Lepe, in Huelva province, is often the butt of jokes in Spain poking fun at the locals, and now, they want to make it official. They’ll be proposing to the Andalucía parliament that the Lepe jokes be declared a BIC Asset of Cultural Interest.

The idea came from IU’s candidate for Mayor of Lepe in next month’s local elections, Javier Valderas, who says the jokes form part of Lepe’s heritage, of Andalucía’s and of all Spain. While defending that the jokes project nothing more than a stereotype image which has nothing to do with the reality of daily life in the town, he believes that awarding them BIC status can only be good for the town.

Valderas also hopes to revive the ‘Semana del Humor’ – ‘Humour Week’, which in the 1980s brought some of the best Spanish comedians to Lepe to debate the importance of jokes.

El Mundo newspaper quotes one of the classic examples of a Lepe joke: ‘Do you know why people from Lepe never have any cold milk? – Because their cow doesn’t fit in the fridge. ‘
Old Jul 13th 2012, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Another regional stereotype:

Extremeños (natives of Extremadura) are long-suffering, used to enduring terrible hardship, wild and rugged like their landscape.

People often think "Extremadura" means extremely hard, but it just means "beyond the Duero river".
Old Jul 13th 2012, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

That's funny

The Asturians up here say it is the Andalucians who are always the butt of the jokes

The regions of Spain are what make it so rich. Catalunya, Asturias and Andalucia are so so different and the people have very different characters, but only together do they make Spain

Oviedo couldnt be more different to the Costa de sol. Everyone dresses up here and takes pride in their appearance, especially for the hours of paseo, between about 7pm-9pm. There are certain cafes where people go to be seen. The babies are dressed in very posh traditional clothes, which makes our son look a bit pikey, but then we dress him so he can crawl around on the grass and eat whenever he wants to rather than being force fed from jars.

People are friendly in the street but much colder than in the South. Our neighbours have kept their distance and I scared someone off by actually telling someone something about myself rather than keeping to platitudes

My wife and her family are very reserved, even more so than the British I would say. I think they are from the mindset of careful what you say, because someone could use it against you...
Old Jul 13th 2012, 12:00 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

My wife and her family are very reserved, even more so than the British I would say. I think they are from the mindset of careful what you say, because someone could use it against you...
So not at all like you then ?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
So not at all like you then ?
Exactly
Old Jul 13th 2012, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cricketman
The regions of Spain are what make it so rich. Catalunya, Asturias and Andalucia are so so different and the people have very different characters, but only together do they make Spain
Exactly! It gets my goat to hear people going on about "the Spanish" as if they are all the same.

I was told that Andalusians are regarded by the people from Castilla la Mancha, who regard themselves as "pure" castellanos, as country bumpkins, unambitious and lazy. Thy believe that Andalusian blood is tainted by Moorish blood, which makes them swarthy and short of stature. (Ironic, since it was the Moors who brought civilisation to Spain.)
Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Exactly! It gets my goat to hear people going on about "the Spanish" as if they are all the same.

I was told that Andalusians are regarded by the people from Castilla la Mancha, who regard themselves as "pure" castellanos, as country bumpkins, unambitious and lazy. Thy believe that Andalusian blood is tainted by Moorish blood, which makes them swarthy and short of stature. (Ironic, since it was the Moors who brought civilisation to Spain.)
Well, some Castellanos especially in Madrid can be very fascist as we well know. It is the centre of Spanish fascism

But there are relatively few "pure" (whatever that means) Castellanos especially because Madrid is actually a pretty new city (C16th).

There is no such thing as a "typical Spaniard". Franco tried to create an illusion that there was, thats how the tourists got to know about flamenco and paella. It was all an illusion created by the board for tourism.

Post-democracy, the regions then tried to deny they were Spanish and many still do, as a reaction to what they were made to give up or hide during Franco's rule.

But I like to think of Spain as a colage of different peoples. In this respect having Catalans and Basques and even Andalucians contribute to Spain's sporting success and then celebrate with their regional flags has helped a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.