Reload this Page >

Red hair and freckles !

Red hair and freckles !

Old Aug 12th 2008, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

leec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Red hair and freckles !

Hello Forum,

Interesting thoughts going on in my little head right now......thought I'd throw this point out to the locals to see what you think.

I'm 30 and my Daughter is 3 years old. We both have red hair (no mention of ginger please !) and we are both blessed with a mass of freckles. As lovely as this is, and I have certainly grown to appreciate my colouring, we both kind of stand out in the crowd a bit !

Can't help noticing the distinct lack of Spanish people with our colouring. My point being that even 30 years down the line when we have lived in Spain longer than the UK, when my Daughter feels more Spanish than British, will we ever really be accepted. We will always stand out as the foreigners, and will always be treated as so. My hubby and son are fine with their olive coloured skin, but me and my girlie will always look a bit odd !

What's your thoughts.

Barb
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:03 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red hair and freckles !

revel in it !!!!!!!!! Why look like any old Tom- Dick and Harry

I'm 50% English and 50% Irish. Got my Mum's blonde hair which went darker when i was around six. Now a mousey brown but highlighted.

Had two kids to a very dark haired - olive skinned and chocolate eyed Italian.

First daughter has olive skin - dark hair and chocolate brown eyes ....... AND a noticeable sprinkling of freckles across her nose and cheekbones. No idea where they came from. Nobody in my family has a freckled face.

SO many nosey old bitches in the villages here have pointed out how STRANGE it is for her to be so dark yet with freckles. So much so that they nearly gave her a complex two years ago when she asked me if they would ever go away. Fortunately a few other people have commented on how original and lovely they are.

Second child (male) was born blonde haired and bright blue eyes. Now all the nosey old bitches have stopped talking about freckles and have started commenting on how different the brother and sister are !!!!!!!!!

Sometimes you just can't win can you 1
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:53 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
revel in it !!!!!!!!! Why look like any old Tom- Dick and Harry

I'm 50% English and 50% Irish. Got my Mum's blonde hair which went darker when i was around six. Now a mousey brown but highlighted.

Had two kids to a very dark haired - olive skinned and chocolate eyed Italian.

First daughter has olive skin - dark hair and chocolate brown eyes ....... AND a noticeable sprinkling of freckles across her nose and cheekbones. No idea where they came from. Nobody in my family has a freckled face.

SO many nosey old bitches in the villages here have pointed out how STRANGE it is for her to be so dark yet with freckles. So much so that they nearly gave her a complex two years ago when she asked me if they would ever go away. Fortunately a few other people have commented on how original and lovely they are.

Second child (male) was born blonde haired and bright blue eyes. Now all the nosey old bitches have stopped talking about freckles and have started commenting on how different the brother and sister are !!!!!!!!!

Sometimes you just can't win can you 1
I wouldnt worry.somtimes that is normal.could be from one of your ancesters 100 years ago
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:05 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

thanks - yeah I know .... it never worried any of us until the old bitches in the village started passing comments.

One old cow asked me if they were brother and sister (nothing new) but when i said "yes" she actually asked if they had the same father !!!

One of the few times in Italy I have gone against an old lady and I said "yes - now please mind your own bloody business and your comments infront of my kids."

She actually turned around and said "how dare you"

I was so mad at this point and replied " I dare - beacuse you did first - what gives you any right to make comments about my kids infront of my kids and not nice ones at that - and to question their own bloody father ..... HOW DARE YOU ?"

Well - I honestly thought she was going to a have heart attack there and then. These old biddies don't even seem to realise that they are interferring and doing no good - they all seem to think that they are little old grannies with the right to say anything just beacuse they are old grannies. Obviously not many people here have told them where to shove it before !
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:37 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
thanks - yeah I know .... it never worried any of us until the old bitches in the village started passing comments.

One old cow asked me if they were brother and sister (nothing new) but when i said "yes" she actually asked if they had the same father !!!

One of the few times in Italy I have gone against an old lady and I said "yes - now please mind your own bloody business and your comments infront of my kids."

She actually turned around and said "how dare you"

I was so mad at this point and replied " I dare - beacuse you did first - what gives you any right to make comments about my kids infront of my kids and not nice ones at that - and to question their own bloody father ..... HOW DARE YOU ?"

Well - I honestly thought she was going to a have heart attack there and then. These old biddies don't even seem to realise that they are interferring and doing no good - they all seem to think that they are little old grannies with the right to say anything just beacuse they are old grannies. Obviously not many people here have told them where to shove it before !
I hope she wasnt the dons grandmother.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by betris
I hope she wasnt the dons grandmother.
Oh christ - so do I ........... but i think I'm in the wrong part of Italy for that.

Don't give me the heeby geebies
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:42 pm

what it reminds me of now because i hadn't seen it at the time .... TV here being backwards and all that .........

is a clip or two from The Catherine Tate Show and she does a charachter that says ---

"how dare you - how very dare you!"

That is exactly what i felt like .
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:36 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Just popped out into a typical Spanish Street and took this piccy I can see no probs fitting in.

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:39 am.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:17 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I am red haired, but there are no othrs in my family, my sister is very dark haired. The only way I will get a decent tan is if all my freckles merge, which they are trying to do as I have freckles EVERYWHERE. When I was born at least one local FRIEND of my mothers commented that the only red haired male that there was in the village was the loccal doctor. My mother didn't speak to her for about 5 years.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:21 am

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point

this is going to sound really harsh and I dont mean it to but I hope you realise what I'm trying to say:

Get over it. If others treat you the way they becuase of your skin and hair colour them leave them to it.

They are really not worth bothering about, you sound happy where you are so just enjoy it. They are the ones with the problem not you. At least you are happy which is much harder to acheive than anything else in this world.

Personally I'd relish in the fact that I looked different.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Some ex pat builders in a bar told me its illegal to have ginger hair and freckles in Spain you will have to get it dyed or face imprisonmentalernativley you have to pay your local town hall 3000,00 euro per head "ginger tax"

Rgds

Rotor
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

leec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rotor
Some ex pat builders in a bar told me its illegal to have ginger hair and freckles in Spain you will have to get it dyed or face imprisonmentalernativley you have to pay your local town hall 3000,00 euro per head "ginger tax"

Rgds

Rotor
This made me chuckle !!!

It's not an issue for me as an adult, though I went through the entire rainbow of colours in my teenage years to hide my red hair ! (Note to other red heads, never die red hair dark brown the hair is so porous it goes black. Not nice with red eyebrows and red roots showing through).

I was just wondering how wierd it would be for my little girl going to school, it's hard enough being the new girl in the class without the issue of being the only pale skinned, red-haired girl in a class of olive skinned dark-haired children.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:25 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leec
Hello Forum,

Interesting thoughts going on in my little head right now......thought I'd throw this point out to the locals to see what you think.

I'm 30 and my Daughter is 3 years old. We both have red hair (no mention of ginger please !) and we are both blessed with a mass of freckles. As lovely as this is, and I have certainly grown to appreciate my colouring, we both kind of stand out in the crowd a bit !

Can't help noticing the distinct lack of Spanish people with our colouring. My point being that even 30 years down the line when we have lived in Spain longer than the UK, when my Daughter feels more Spanish than British, will we ever really be accepted. We will always stand out as the foreigners, and will always be treated as so. My hubby and son are fine with their olive coloured skin, but me and my girlie will always look a bit odd !

What's your thoughts.

Barb
we had a student from a village near Zaragoza stay with us a couple of years ago - very tall, very fair freckly skin, gorgeoous red hair & blue eyes.

she said it's quite common in her area............you could try living there!
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:37 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by leec
... What's your thoughts.
Barb
Well I love redheads (maybe not so much carrot orange) - but whatever keep with it. As someone else said RELISH IT! You're obviously special.

But this thread makes me think carpets and curtains for some reason !!
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:46 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
Well I love redheads (maybe not so much carrot orange) - but whatever keep with it. As someone else said RELISH IT! You're obviously special.

But this thread makes me think carpets and curtains for some reason !!

yeh its a bugger patterns and all that