British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   recruitgibraltar/recruitspain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/recruitgibraltar-recruitspain-621224/)

akemp847 Jul 20th 2009 7:56 pm

recruitgibraltar/recruitspain

I am not affiliated with these sites... Sue gave it the all clear to post this thread.

So anyway, recruitgibraltar & recruitspain websites seem too good to be true. I want to see peoples opinions on this before I pass on my personal information.

Has anyone used them and found employment?

Regards,
Andrew

wondering star Jul 20th 2009 8:07 pm

Re: recruitgibraltar/recruitspain

Originally Posted by akemp847 (Post 7768672)
I am not affiliated with these sites... Sue gave it the all clear to post this thread.

So anyway, recruitgibraltar & recruitspain websites seem too good to be true. I want to see peoples opinions on this before I pass on my personal information.

Has anyone used them and found employment?

Regards,
Andrew

I've heard of them last time I was down there, Oct last year, I met someone who'd got work by them. Going to try them out for myself or get a bar job as a temp to get to know people and find my feet.

I love Gib, it's great, been visiting there since 91 and I always feel at home there. Still visiting can be very different to living, we're moving down there in a month to see how it will work out.

akemp847 Jul 20th 2009 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by wondering star (Post 7768708)
I've heard of them last time I was down there, Oct last year, I met someone who'd got work by them. Going to try them out for myself or get a bar job as a temp to get to know people and find my feet.

I love Gib, it's great, been visiting there since 91 and I always feel at home there. Still visiting can be very different to living, we're moving down there in a month to see how it will work out.

I am going to register with them Friday unless I hear some awful report about them from someone on here. You seem to be going there with the same mindset as myself... looks like we might be fighting for that bar job if I can't find anything in the IT sector. I am going back over in September to make my mind up and talk to the locals.

Regards,
Andrew

jdr Jul 20th 2009 8:18 pm

I seem to remember reading agencies were crap and a waste of time on other threads.

Mitzyboy Jul 20th 2009 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 7768732)
I seem to remember reading agencies were crap and a waste of time on other threads.

Iirc you cant just register with an agency and expect them to inform you when jobs come up. You actually have to be proactive and apply for jobs that come up.
Someone once told me it was because a lot of agencies get paid up front, rather than when they actually find someone. Bit @rse about face if you ask me!

akemp847 Jul 21st 2009 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 7769002)
Iirc you cant just register with an agency and expect them to inform you when jobs come up. You actually have to be proactive and apply for jobs that come up.
Someone once told me it was because a lot of agencies get paid up front, rather than when they actually find someone. Bit @rse about face if you ask me!

Agencies are my first port of call, as I don't have the funds to stay around there to live. And I don't plan on living life on the dole in another country...

I will give it a try and see how it goes, like I said in another thread I am off there in September and will drawn a conclusion to it.

I just wanted to see if people have had success with this specific agency who seem to be the best. Or if they are a fly by night lot...

Regards,
Andrew

ballin Jul 21st 2009 7:21 am

The agencies have always been crap for me and everyone else I know, they seem to advertise jobs that don't exist, and have the same jobs for ever.

Not sure if they are legit or not, but it seems like i said in another thread, that most the jobs in Gib are advertised internally, so perhaps the agencies get very little business so make jobs up to get people on their books, to look more attractive to potential advertisers. :zzz:

jobhunter Jul 21st 2009 1:57 pm

RecruitGibraltar found me a job within a month of signing on with them. Most of the companies in Gib use them. However - I found them rude, unprofessional and unhelpful. Hope I'm allowed to say that. I know that they do have most of if not all of the available jobs in the professional sectors in Gib, but I am also sure that they do not update their websites so that they appear to have many more vacancies than they actually do. There are vacancies currently on their website which were filled a couple of years ago.

steviedeluxe Jul 21st 2009 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by jobhunter (Post 7770849)
RecruitGibraltar found me a job within a month of signing on with them. Most of the companies in Gib use them. However - I found them rude, unprofessional and unhelpful. Hope I'm allowed to say that. I know that they do have most of if not all of the available jobs in the professional sectors in Gib, but I am also sure that they do not update their websites so that they appear to have many more vacancies than they actually do. There are vacancies currently on their website which were filled a couple of years ago.

While much of what you say may be true, sometimes the end justifies the means. It doesn't matter how many jobs you apply for that are already taken, non-existent, bogus etc., you only have to get lucky once to justify the effort. Since you found a job via RecruitGibraltar it at least shows that some of the jobs they advertise are genuine and that it's possible to be successful using their services..

Having said that, I'm always puzzled why firms go via recruitment agencies instead of recruiting directly.

:confused:

akemp847 Jul 21st 2009 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by jobhunter (Post 7770849)

Hi Jobhunter,

Can I ask how they were rude to you? And what job did they find you in a month... a job you wanted or a job you put up with?

jobhunter Jul 21st 2009 2:18 pm

When I arrived in Gib I registered with every agency I could find (about 7).
It's common practice for the agencies to send out your CV to local companies even if they aren't actively recruiting at that moment in time.
Recruit Gibraltar were the last agency I came to and the member of staff informed me that I would have to go back to every agency and find out exactly where my CV had been sent so he didn't duplicate their work. In hindsight I couldn't see the huge problem, apart from annoyance factor in 2/3 copies of my CV ending up at the same company, but anyway I did as I had been asked and duly provided him with a list. A few days later I received a phonecall from another member of RG/RS (who were the same co at that point) informing me that my CV had been sent to an additional company and that they didn't like dealing with liars (me being the liar for not informing them...)

I nearly called it a day at that point but went for an interviewwhich they found for me. However - when they emailed me the details of the interview they left out the interview time and the member of staff I needed to see! I called in to RG office to get this information - totally denied there was anything wrong with the email even when I produced it!! Sigh...

Anyway - happily in a very good job - for which I earned RG a couple of thousand pounds, for making two phone calls and a copy of my CV! Am in the wrong business...

Good luck

jackytoo Jul 21st 2009 2:34 pm

Do the agencies charge a fee to find you a job?

jobhunter Jul 21st 2009 2:35 pm

No, they charge your employers a percentage of your salary once they've placed you.

akemp847 Jul 22nd 2009 2:42 am

Originally Posted by jobhunter (Post 7770989)
No, they charge your employers a percentage of your salary once they've placed you.

Just uploaded my CV might give them a call next Monday unless I hear from them.