Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Recommendations staying in small towns outside Valencia, Gandia, Xativa?

Recommendations staying in small towns outside Valencia, Gandia, Xativa?

Old Aug 17th 2016, 6:16 am
ReadyForSpain

scottlandia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recommendations staying in small towns outside Valencia, Gandia, Xativa?

Hi

I'm flying to Valencia at the end of October for a week (18th - 25th). To checkout some of towns and the city Valencia itself. I don't want to stay in the city, I prefer smaller towns that are more chilled out. I want to base my trip in one town and then I'm use the C lines (Cercanías) to get around visiting towns

I was thinking of Gandia, Xativa and Sagunto.

I went to Denia last May and really loved it. I also like Benalmadena for its promenade, parks and proximity to Malaga. I studied Spanish in Cadiz last year for a week and adored it.

I'm not expecting to use the beach in October!

Love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

SM
Old Aug 17th 2016, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

lucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations staying in small towns outside Valencia, Gandia, Xativa?

Hi,north of Alicante is a great area.My family came here before Spain was in EU to operate a business.We had been self employed in south coast of England previously.Now retired,our business is still running successfully by the new owners.I stayed in the same area & live in Alfaz del Pi,called "little Norway" because of the large Scandinavian community.But lots of German & Dutch.It is a very affluent little town because of their input.Albir is the beach area which has more holiday homes but Alfaz itself is more residential & only 1km separates so the best of both worlds,I think.The little coastal railway has a station here which goes from Alicante up to Denia.We have everything at hand,supermarkets,schools,health centre,coach to go to the airport,a great sports centre,casa de cultura.We still have walking weddings & funerals too!There are British social clubs but we all seem to muck in within the various nationalities,it`s said there are 38 in this small place but the Spanish don`t seem to mind being outnumbered!There is International Day fair when you can visit stalls & sample their cuisine etc.& the Computer club is held in the local British private school but run by Dutch with anyone welcome.Perhaps you should give us a visit too. regards
Old Aug 17th 2016, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Recommendations staying in small towns outside Valencia, Gandia, Xativa?

Be aware that the trin from Calpe to Denia will not run for about 2 years due to dangerous state of the rails etc. Nor, apparently, is there a replacement bus service.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 3:35 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcbernard
Be aware that the trin from Calpe to Denia will not run for about 2 years due to dangerous state of the rails etc. Nor, apparently, is there a replacement bus service.
There is a bus replacement service in operation between the affected stations.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that, Guy. I had heard from various quarters that the bus service was not to be had. Possible rumours no doubt!
Old Aug 17th 2016, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

lucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond repute

Actually unless you are needing this service all week from Calpe to Denia it wouldn`t be a great problem.And if you live further down,calpe has good bus links going down the coast apart from the "tram"
Old Aug 17th 2016, 4:49 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackiecompany
Hi

I was thinking of Gandia, Xativa and Sagunto.
Plenty of small towns and villages around these places, it all boils down to what you want...
There are pockets of English in and around those places, not not such a huge touristy area like further down like in Denia or Javea. Not saying they dont have tourist, but they are generally more Spanish than Uk....
Old Aug 17th 2016, 5:37 pm
ReadyForSpain

Originally Posted by lucilastic
Alfaz del Pi,called "little Norway" because of the large Scandinavian community.
Hey thanks for the information, i didn't know about Alfaz! I must have been past it on the train to Denia last May. Sounds like a nice community. I will defo visit sometime.
SM
Old Aug 17th 2016, 5:39 pm
ReadyForSpain

Originally Posted by marcbernard
Really what a shame but I suppose the work needs doing, it's a cute little train route but very slow.
SM
Old Aug 17th 2016, 5:44 pm
ReadyForSpain

Originally Posted by The Guy
Plenty of small towns and villages around these places, it all boils down to what you want...
There are pockets of English in and around those places, not not such a huge touristy area like further down like in Denia or Javea. Not saying they dont have tourist, but they are generally more Spanish than Uk....
Thanks, yeah I'm still figuring that out! I have plans to visit Javea and Moraira when I can drive (I really need to learn). Happy to soak up information about the place. I went thru some small towns on a Beniconnect shuttle bus that looked nice near there.
SM
Old Aug 19th 2016, 11:41 am
Just Joined

AdrienneS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi SM you say you're going out to Spain to check it out? is this for a holiday or long term; I ask because i'M going out 17th to 25th September to check out some areas like San Pedro del Pinatar because my plan is to go out to Spain for a year. the areas along the coast have some lovely places, small and very interesting
Old Aug 20th 2016, 9:40 am
ReadyForSpain

Smile Re: Recommendations staying in small towns outside Valencia, Gandia, Xativa?

Originally Posted by AdrienneS
San Pedro del Pinatar
I might go there next year when I visit Murcia. This October now going to Valencia and staying in Gandia will visit the La Safor area looks really interesting.

There is a great article on the area here.
La Safor area in detail | Casalasafor Consultancias