Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Household Insurance

Recommendations for Household Insurance

Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:20 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recommendations for Household Insurance

We need to sort out buildings & Contents insurance for our 3 bed duplex. Can anyone recommend an office in Torrevieja/Guadarmar/Orihuela costa area who are reasonable and offer good service and maybe speak some english. We don't live there yet so we would need a fairly good idea of where to find the particular office. We have been told about AXA in Torrevieja but I cannot find anything on the internet. We have also been told about Mapfre but again when you go onto their website in english and ask for details of household insurance it comes up with the url is not working.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 2:36 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations for Household Insurance

I had insurance through my bank, CAM. Bear in mind that there is no accidental damage coverage in Spain and that there are all sorts of small print clauses to watch out for. You need to ensure that any item over about 1k Euros is specially listed. I had three robberies and they only paid up on one and that was for about one third of the value.

There is a guy in Alicante who runs a company. He also works at the Brit Consulate as an advisor and apparently is great to deal with. I'll ask my friends still out there as I can't for the life of me remember his name.

When I left, Linea Directo hadn't started offering home insurance but it was in the pipeline. Worth contacting them to see if they've started it yet.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 5:27 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sibsie
I had insurance through my bank, CAM. Bear in mind that there is no accidental damage coverage in Spain and that there are all sorts of small print clauses to watch out for. You need to ensure that any item over about 1k Euros is specially listed. I had three robberies and they only paid up on one and that was for about one third of the value.

There is a guy in Alicante who runs a company. He also works at the Brit Consulate as an advisor and apparently is great to deal with. I'll ask my friends still out there as I can't for the life of me remember his name.

When I left, Linea Directo hadn't started offering home insurance but it was in the pipeline. Worth contacting them to see if they've started it yet.

Yes they have started. I got a quote from them for household and motor insurance. The household was 1.5 times what I pay here for a 4 bed detached including all risks (outside of the house) cover and we are only buying an end duplex (3 floors) with small garden attached to one at the back and apartments at the side.

The motor was almost 1.5 times what I pay in the UK aswell.

I shall be looking elsewhere.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd disagree with the "no accidental damage coverage in Spain" as we have a policy with accidental damage included!

As for clauses etc, well as I recall my UK cover had pretty much just the same and went up every year without fail, despite the fact we never claimed.

Originally Posted by sibsie
Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Recommendations for Household Insurance

Hi Gill,

Norwich Union do cover for Spanish property. Matt Begley who writes on this site has all the details and if you PM him he will email you with them

Regards, John.

Originally Posted by Gill Stevens
We need to sort out buildings & Contents insurance for our 3
bed duplex. Can anyone recommend an office in Torrevieja/Guadarmar/Orihuela costa area who are reasonable and offer good service and maybe speak some english. We don't live there yet so we would need a fairly good idea of where to find the particular office. We have been told about AXA in Torrevieja but I cannot find anything on the internet. We have also been told about Mapfre but again when you go onto their website in english and ask for details of household insurance it comes up with the url is not working.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Aug 5th 2005 at 7:19 pm. Reason: Miss-spelt Begley
Old Aug 6th 2005, 4:28 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gill Stevens
We need to sort out buildings & Contents insurance for our 3 bed duplex. Can anyone recommend an office in Torrevieja/Guadarmar/Orihuela costa area who are reasonable and offer good service and maybe speak some english. We don't live there yet so we would need a fairly good idea of where to find the particular office. We have been told about AXA in Torrevieja but I cannot find anything on the internet. We have also been told about Mapfre but again when you go onto their website in english and ask for details of household insurance it comes up with the url is not working.
I used Knight Insurance for my car. They were very competitive and most importantly for me spoke great English so I understood exactly what was going on and what I was (and wasn't) covered for.

The whole process was so simple I was amazed. I was prepared for lots of form filling - just hope I never have an accident, I'm sure that is when the fun will start!

I don't have any association with them apart from being a customer. Here are their branches and contacts:

http://www.knight-insurance.com/knig...s_alicante.htm

Regards
Mark