Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Received Irish Passport... FREEDOM?

Received Irish Passport... FREEDOM?

Old Jun 10th 2021, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Keithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Received Irish Passport... FREEDOM?

DAM!
Old Jun 10th 2021, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keithtoon
Hi all,
My partner received her Irish Passport yesterday!!! So happy. I am UK passport holder.
So now this changes everything. Like? Freedom to stay over 90 days, less capital in savings, she can drive with UK license, who can add more to this list?
Have a great day all...
Keith n Macy
Congratulations, I for one am really pleased for both of you.

I have the privilege of an Irish passport and the day it arrived was a wonderful day, believe me. I also have an Irish passport card which is like an ID card and I love it!

My partner is still British (we have a formal civil partnership) so I wrote to the EU to find out how my partner would benefit from my having an Irish passport. They said that as long as my partner is travelling with me, THEY ARE NOT RESTRICTED TO 90 DAYS but if they are not resident in an EU state, they would have their passport stamped but importantly they would NOT be penalised for staying in the EU over 90 days as the British would be.

You can take residency the easy EU way with your partner (remember that?) if you decide to move to Spain full time in the future.

Most people who are eligible for an Irish passport obtain one and for a very good reason, freedom of movement but for me personally it goes much deeper than that.

​​​​​PS. You don't have to be married or in a formal civil partnership to benefit from your partner being an EU citizen, you can be in a durable relationship but you would need to carry proof like bank statements, deeds etc.

Last edited by Lou71; Jun 10th 2021 at 11:34 am.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Keithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond repute

hopefully this is of some use to us all?
https://traffic-rules.com/en/spain/practice-test
Old Jun 10th 2021, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lou,
That's is a wonderful post.
Yes next year we will move there but first we hope to do 3 months early 2022 then either rent or buy July/August. I will be 66yrs old by then with a generous pension. We will need a "Non Co-pay" Health contract for the first year, but then what happens next... Convenio Especial.
Thank you for your great info much
appreciated, more knowledge the better!
Regards
Keith n Macy