Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:25 pm
  #61  
BE Forum Addict
 
DebsyW's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Lovely Lancashire
Posts: 2,631
DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by JnK View Post
As we woke up yesterday to yet another grey damp day, more traffic jams in our small Wiltshire market town, more scrums down Morrisons with grumpy miserable looking people with enough food in their trolleys to survive a 40-day siege, and hardly a smile or a merry christmas, we are just so glad to have the opportunity to give Spain a go and are so looking forward to a very different Christmas next year.

Thanks to all who've added to this thread and a very Merry Christmas to you all, closely followed by a happy and prosperous 2009!
JnK

The spanish are worse than the english in supermarkets - they push in, do not queue and will give you a smile and a merry christmas if they are relaxed and in a good mood (if you are a stranger). They dont have the same shopping mentality at christmas as it isnt the same as in UK but I know how spaniards panic. If there was a war (knowing how spaniards evacuate the beach at the first drop of rain) I would rather be in the UK than in Spain

What ruins the UK is the weather. UK has some fantastic countryside and some good beaches but it lacks sun. When there is the annual 3 days of sunshine it is a beautiful place to be.

Have a prosperous 2009 and hope your dream comes true
DebsyW is offline  
Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:29 pm
  #62  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 334
spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

I agree.

Its ok people saying there are endless traffic jams in the uk and its one big fiasco but has anyone ever been to alicante, especially at Xmas? It once took me 1hr just to get out of the city and onto the autopista.
It doesnt matter where you are in the world you are gonna experience bad traffic and Spain doesnt have any exceptions.
spainboy is offline  
Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:39 pm
  #63  
BE Forum Addict
 
DebsyW's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Lovely Lancashire
Posts: 2,631
DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by spainboy View Post
I agree.

Its ok people saying there are endless traffic jams in the uk and its one big fiasco but has anyone ever been to alicante, especially at Xmas? It once took me 1hr just to get out of the city and onto the autopista.
It doesnt matter where you are in the world you are gonna experience bad traffic and Spain doesnt have any exceptions.
We were in La Coruna city in Galicia in August. Shouldve been there for 3 weeks. The traffic was horrendous, had to stop every 100 paces at pelican crossings (as pedestrians). It had been ok for me when I was in my teens and 20`s going out on the lash with mates but I was with hubby and 2 kids. In the end I took them to a little resort further south on the Pontevedra coast. Bliss.
Living in Spain.. make sure you pick a bloody good spot.
DebsyW is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:35 am
  #64  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,081
me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by spainboy View Post
How is Spain cheaper??
On a whole I don't think it is when you compare it to the wages out here. Iam still living out here and I pay 750 euros in rent. I can get something at 500eu but it's a slum. My internet charges with telefonica is 40euros plus tax,plus line rental so in all its about 62euros. In the UK you can get ADSL,line rental, mobile contract and digital TV channels for £30 with Virgin.
In Leeds I can rent a luxury apartment for less than £500

My electricity is 125euro every 2 months for a 2 bed house. My parents pay £70 every 2 months. Gas in Spain is cheaper cos we are on bottled so we normally spend 27euro a month compared to £40 in the uk but my mums central heating is on most nights in the uk.

Shopping at the moment is cheaper back in the uk. I went back 4 weeks ago and they are having big price wars on at the moment. There are a lot of 2 for 1 offers and you can get a trolly full now for about £35. The only supermarket in spain I find cheaper than anything in the uk is Mercadona but you are limited to what you can buy and dont do a lot of good tinned food, but for essentials it is very good.
Beer,cigarettes and petrol cheaper in Spain and road tax is cheaper but I find 2nd hand cars much dearer than back home. There is no council tax in Spain but I dont particuarly think renting is cheaper in spain either.

Both countries have their pros and cons and of course you do have the weather here although saying that in June, July and August I much prefer the Uk weather. As for beauty(countyside) the UK for me wins hands down.When you drive through the dales,the lake district or the cotsworlds nothing in Spain compares to it. I live on the costa Blanca and it's baron but I do know its not all like that and I know in the North its very much like the UK.

I do love both countries very much but I cannot slate Blighty in any way.It is still one of the nicest countries in the world.

We feel the same way as you, and we are Spanish. The UK is having a rough time at the moment but it is still a great place.
me me is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:06 am
  #65  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by DebsyW View Post
The spanish are worse than the english in supermarkets - they push in, do not queue and will give you a smile and a merry christmas if they are relaxed and in a good mood (if you are a stranger). They dont have the same shopping mentality at christmas as it isnt the same as in UK but I know how spaniards panic. If there was a war (knowing how spaniards evacuate the beach at the first drop of rain) I would rather be in the UK than in Spain

What ruins the UK is the weather. UK has some fantastic countryside and some good beaches but it lacks sun. When there is the annual 3 days of sunshine it is a beautiful place to be.

Have a prosperous 2009 and hope your dream comes true
Errrm, noboby gets in front of my trolly unless they have the right licences. ;-))
jdr is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:07 am
  #66  
Straw Man.
 
rugbymatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
Posts: 46,302
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Errrm, noboby gets in front of my trolly unless they have the right licences. ;-))
Yeah, but, you look like a train robber, so who is gonna mess with you eh?
rugbymatt is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:10 am
  #67  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,572
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by DebsyW View Post
The spanish are worse than the english in supermarkets - they push in, do not queue and will give you a smile and a merry christmas if they are relaxed and in a good mood (if you are a stranger). They dont have the same shopping mentality at christmas as it isnt the same as in UK but I know how spaniards panic. If there was a war (knowing how spaniards evacuate the beach at the first drop of rain) I would rather be in the UK than in Spain

What ruins the UK is the weather. UK has some fantastic countryside and some good beaches but it lacks sun. When there is the annual 3 days of sunshine it is a beautiful place to be.

Have a prosperous 2009 and hope your dream comes true
I can only presume that this business of queue jumping etc depends on where you live because my experience is totally opposite. People around here check up on who is the last one in the queue then make sure that they join on appropriately.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:24 am
  #68  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by rugbymatt View Post
Yeah, but, you look like a train robber, so who is gonna mess with you eh?
We all get through at customs ok, but the mother in law always gets frisked. lol
jdr is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:29 am
  #69  
Straw Man.
 
rugbymatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
Posts: 46,302
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by jdr View Post
We all get through at customs ok, but the mother in law always gets frisked. lol
Bet its the high light of her year!
rugbymatt is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:40 am
  #70  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by rugbymatt View Post
Bet its the high light of her year!
Yeah, I think she looks a bit dodgy on purpose. lol
jdr is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2008, 11:06 am
  #71  
Forum Regular
 
arko's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 181
arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by spainboy View Post
How is Spain cheaper??
On a whole I don't think it is when you compare it to the wages out here. Iam still living out here and I pay 750 euros in rent. I can get something at 500eu but it's a slum. My internet charges with telefonica is 40euros plus tax,plus line rental so in all its about 62euros. In the UK you can get ADSL,line rental, mobile contract and digital TV channels for £30 with Virgin.
In Leeds I can rent a luxury apartment for less than £500

My electricity is 125euro every 2 months for a 2 bed house. My parents pay £70 every 2 months. Gas in Spain is cheaper cos we are on bottled so we normally spend 27euro a month compared to £40 in the uk but my mums central heating is on most nights in the uk.

Shopping at the moment is cheaper back in the uk. I went back 4 weeks ago and they are having big price wars on at the moment. There are a lot of 2 for 1 offers and you can get a trolly full now for about £35. The only supermarket in spain I find cheaper than anything in the uk is Mercadona but you are limited to what you can buy and dont do a lot of good tinned food, but for essentials it is very good.
Beer,cigarettes and petrol cheaper in Spain and road tax is cheaper but I find 2nd hand cars much dearer than back home. There is no council tax in Spain but I dont particuarly think renting is cheaper in spain either.

Both countries have their pros and cons and of course you do have the weather here although saying that in June, July and August I much prefer the Uk weather. As for beauty(countyside) the UK for me wins hands down.When you drive through the dales,the lake district or the cotsworlds nothing in Spain compares to it. I live on the costa Blanca and it's baron but I do know its not all like that and I know in the North its very much like the UK.

I do love both countries very much but I cannot slate Blighty in any way.It is still one of the nicest countries in the world.
How can you compare the Costa Blanca to countryside in the UK?
Have you ever been to Extremadura, Galicia or the Sierra de Huelva? There's some amazing beauty spots in Spain that you could never find back in UK, and of course vice versa so it's difficult to compare. It's unfair to compare parts of a country that have been ruined by high-rise building projects and thousands of tourists trampling over it with some of the best countryside the UK has to offer.

One more thing on what you said Spainboy: renting a luxury apartment in Leeds? Don't think I need to say anything else

It's no surprise that there are literally hundreds of thousands of Brits living in Spain and Portugal. Life here is good if you can afford it or if you are prepared to do things differently to how you did them before. I alaways say that I'd rather be poor in Spain than be poor in U.K.
arko is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:08 pm
  #72  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,081
me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by arko View Post
How can you compare the Costa Blanca to countryside in the UK?
Have you ever been to Extremadura, Galicia or the Sierra de Huelva? There's some amazing beauty spots in Spain that you could never find back in UK, and of course vice versa so it's difficult to compare. It's unfair to compare parts of a country that have been ruined by high-rise building projects and thousands of tourists trampling over it with some of the best countryside the UK has to offer.

One more thing on what you said Spainboy: renting a luxury apartment in Leeds? Don't think I need to say anything else

It's no surprise that there are literally hundreds of thousands of Brits living in Spain and Portugal. Life here is good if you can afford it or if you are prepared to do things differently to how you did them before. I alaways say that I'd rather be poor in Spain than be poor in U.K.
That depends on your definition of poor. I dont think anyone on here has been "Spanish Poor". You cannot compare being poor in Spain to being poor in England. As a child of poor Spanish parents who had to emigrate to the UK, I find the remark a little bit flippant. My parents were staving, they did not want to leave Spain but they had no choice. We (ex pats) chose to come to Spain, we did not have to leave the UK in order to give our children a chance in life. Get out and about to see what "Spanish poor" really is, before you make light of it. I have cousins who have worked for really terrible wages, they have families, and could not afford to eat if they did not get help from friends and family members. No such thing as Working tax credits or housing benefit. If you would rather be poor in Spain, than in the UK, you need your head examining. If you saw the real misery that is happening in this country, you would be shocked and not make such sweeping comments based on your privileged position.
Please dont make light of a situation that you dont understand.
me me is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:12 pm
  #73  
Drunken Monkey
 
Fuzzlepop's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Playa Flamenca
Posts: 906
Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Anyone go iceland in torre before xmas? thats bad
Fuzzlepop is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:22 pm
  #74  
Popping in for a chat
 
Lionda's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Back home
Posts: 4,573
Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by me me View Post
That depends on your definition of poor. I dont think anyone on here has been "Spanish Poor". You cannot compare being poor in Spain to being poor in England. As a child of poor Spanish parents who had to emigrate to the UK, I find the remark a little bit flippant. My parents were staving, they did not want to leave Spain but they had no choice. We (ex pats) chose to come to Spain, we did not have to leave the UK in order to give our children a chance in life. Get out and about to see what "Spanish poor" really is, before you make light of it. I have cousins who have worked for really terrible wages, they have families, and could not afford to eat if they did not get help from friends and family members. No such thing as Working tax credits or housing benefit. If you would rather be poor in Spain, than in the UK, you need your head examining. If you saw the real misery that is happening in this country, you would be shocked and not make such sweeping comments based on your privileged position.
Please dont make light of a situation that you dont understand.
Great reply, I would give you karma but have to spread it around first
Lionda is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:39 pm
  #75  
Forum Regular
 
arko's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 181
arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by me me View Post
That depends on your definition of poor. I dont think anyone on here has been "Spanish Poor". You cannot compare being poor in Spain to being poor in England. As a child of poor Spanish parents who had to emigrate to the UK, I find the remark a little bit flippant. My parents were staving, they did not want to leave Spain but they had no choice. We (ex pats) chose to come to Spain, we did not have to leave the UK in order to give our children a chance in life. Get out and about to see what "Spanish poor" really is, before you make light of it. I have cousins who have worked for really terrible wages, they have families, and could not afford to eat if they did not get help from friends and family members. No such thing as Working tax credits or housing benefit. If you would rather be poor in Spain, than in the UK, you need your head examining. If you saw the real misery that is happening in this country, you would be shocked and not make such sweeping comments based on your privileged position.
Please dont make light of a situation that you dont understand.
I am indeed making sweeping comments based on my privileged position, and that is all I am doing: making a comment on my experience of living in Spain. It wasn’t an attempt to make light of the poverty that can be found in this country, as indeed can be found in abundance in the UK, and I'm sorry if it came across as that.

There are big problems affecting this country that I see everyday living in an area that is also suffering from the economic downturn.

I am lucky as I have my Spanish family living near me so I've been on the receiving end of their charity every time I've needed it. Without sounding too rude, I am just making a comment on how I feel much better off where I am, with much less money than I had in the UK and I really have absolutely no interest in why your parents had to leave. If I did, I'd join 'Spanish expats' and answer to the thread 'Reasons why you are staying in the UK'.

I answered this thread as someone was in need of some positive comments on staying in this country we have chosen as home and my flippant comment was an attempt at that, nothing else.
arko is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.