Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Which reading is correct - mine or Iberdrola's?

Which reading is correct - mine or Iberdrola's?

Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Negada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really nice
Default Which reading is correct - mine or Iberdrola's?

These are the details I've jotted down from my actual Iberdrola meter:

It's a Contador monofasico a 2 hilos.
Tipo CG62h 220v
Rev /Kwh 320 50Hz
Manufactured by a company called Landis & Gyr Espanola.

The dial is of a narrow oblong window consisting of six units. The sixth and last unit has gradations from 0 to 9.

This morning the meter reading was thus: 1 1 8 3 0. The sixth unit was 1.

As I rent this present property I have been checking the electricity meter on a daily basis and my current daily electricity consumption is 4 kWh per day. So, for a period of 60 days my I presumed that my actual consumption would be approximately 240 kWH units.

However, Iberdrola's reading taken on 4th December, 2008, stated that the energy consumed was for 979 kWh. The meter reader had included the sixth and last unit in his reading. So, can anyone please make sense of this?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:32 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which reading is correct - mine or Iberdrola's?

What were the 2 meter readings used to calculate the bill?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Negada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really nice

When I moved into the property on 1st October, 2008, the meter reading was:
1 1 6 4 0 and the last unit was 7.

The meter reading taken on 4th December, 2008, was 1 1 7 3 8 and the last unit was 6.

So, obviously, Iberdrola included the sixth and graduated unit as the full reading which is what confuses me. Sad person that I am, I check my electricity usage on a daily basis and there's no way I used 979 KWh in that period.

So is it me? Am I reading the meter incorrectly by not counting in that sixth unit as that is different from the first five units?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

CarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud of

I would think that the Iberdrola reading is correct. Meter readings are usually 6 digits.
1000kwh for a 2 month period is quite low. You say you are only using 4kwh per day ?? That is extremely low. What have you got switched on ?? Ours is about 15 or 16 per day provided we don't use electric for heating.
Hope this helps.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:01 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

My meter and readings are 5 digits but I'm not with Iberdrola. I'm not a high consumer of electricity (gas hob, gas water heating) but am using electric heating at the moment and my consumption was 965kWh for the 2 months to end Dec so approx 16kWh per day too. In the summer months this drops to approx 5kWh per day.

Going on the figures you've given for the meters, if only the first 5 digits were used, your consumption by your reckoning would be 11738 - 11640 = 98kWh which would be approx 1.6kWh per day which would mean you're using about 1 light bulb and nothing else! So I think Iberdrola's calculations must be correct!

Last edited by Hillybilly; Jan 8th 2009 at 4:20 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 5:23 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarolandTony
1000kwh for a 2 month period is quite low. .
That's debatable!

Over 1000 units in 2 months incurs a 25% over use charge on any additional units. On the new monthly billing that is 500 units/month before they hit you.