Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Read in two places today, New Laws re NIE

Read in two places today, New Laws re NIE

Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:23 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Read in two places today, New Laws re NIE

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Understood the rest of what you have written, but the above seems to contradict everything else. A large majority have to do tax returns so renewing these bloody things would be at least once a year.
In cases like me who run businesses and have to file paperwork seemingly every month then it would have to be up to date 100% of the year.

The other day when stopped by the Guardia Civil I was asked for my NIE. Having an out of date bit of paper could mean a fine if the GC either was bad tempered or did not know his stuff.

The bit posted by pwwm Was brought up in this thread.
but yours won't be out of date, will it?

the green 'resident cert.' which you surely have since you are resident, is also your NIE cert. & that has no expiry date

it's only non-resident NIE certs. which have an expiry date

as Fred said - if as a non-resident you need an up to date copy you just have to live with it

I suspect it's also a way for 'them' to ensure that those who are resident here actually DO register as such

Last edited by lynnxa; Apr 11th 2012 at 6:29 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:27 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sujee
We had to apply in person for our NIE application at the end of February. Our gestor collected the actual certificate for us but was astounded to see that it was only valid for 3 months. She said she had never known that to happen before but wasn't important as by then we would have residencia sorted out. We will have to wait to see what happens in May when it is due to be renewed. She is looking into the renewal process. Will update you all when we hear more from her.
you live here, right?

why didn't you just register as resident straight away rather than getting & NIE & then registering later as resident?

only one fee then......... your NIE would be issued at the same time

although I have heard of some offices insisting that you get a NIE first & then sign as resident - but the resident cert. is then done on the spot more or less when you collect the NIE

no 'sorting out residencia' required.......
Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

We didn't have an address at the time and so could not get a residencia. We needed the NIE to buy our house. At the time we had a great deal to do just so we could complete the house purchase.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:07 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by sujee
We didn't have an address at the time and so could not get a residencia. We needed the NIE to buy our house. At the time we had a great deal to do just so we could complete the house purchase.
ahh that makes sense if you weren't living here at the time - for some reason I thought you already were
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I have had to look at the calendar twice - but we are past the 1st April

Funny enough OH is away at the moment and when I told him he actually did ask that lol.
It is people needing first ones I feel sorry for, money generating scheme ?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:19 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

So how does all the second home owners who rent out and hardly visit comply with this.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

For me the only thing not clear is the number doesn't change it is the new certificate that is valid for 3 months not the number, however those with older certificates don't show any validation date, so are they valid for ever as previous or does the 3 months apply to them as well? I suppose that will only truly be answered should you need it for some official matter. I also agree that you would think it was an April fool joke, why do they have to make things so difficult? Fair enough to get people to register on the foreigners register if there for 3 to 6 months but this just doesn't take into account the holiday home owners that after all the Spanish Government were happy in fact wanted to buy property in the past. Seems a very awkward way to deal with the foreigner register problem. As I say we won't be doing anything until told we have to do so.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:45 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jackytoo
So how does all the second home owners who rent out and hardly visit comply with this.
if they don't visit they are hardly going to need a new NIE cert. every few months, are they?? Their number won't change.

Originally Posted by bobd22
For me the only thing not clear is the number doesn't change it is the new certificate that is valid for 3 months not the number, however those with older certificates don't show any validation date, so are they valid for ever as previous or does the 3 months apply to them as well? I suppose that will only truly be answered should you need it for some official matter. I also agree that you would think it was an April fool joke, why do they have to make things so difficult? Fair enough to get people to register on the foreigners register if there for 3 to 6 months but this just doesn't take into account the holiday home owners that after all the Spanish Government were happy in fact wanted to buy property in the past. Seems a very awkward way to deal with the foreigner register problem. As I say we won't be doing anything until told we have to do so.
I can't remember the last time I actually had to show my NIE cert for anything
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Very true Lynn must admit for our dealings it is our passport they want to see.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice

Hi, hubby and I have NIE numbers from years ago, when we purchased our holiday home- we then sold it about four years ago and are now hoping to buy somewhere again. Are our old numbers still okay or will we have this new problem?

Would someone be kind enough to clarify??
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chocaholic22
Hi, hubby and I have NIE numbers from years ago, when we purchased our holiday home- we then sold it about four years ago and are now hoping to buy somewhere again. Are our old numbers still okay or will we have this new problem?

Would someone be kind enough to clarify??
The numbers will not change they are for life it is just that the new certificate as a time limit of 3 months but the old ones do not show any limit. that is where the confusion lies as to if the old certificate expires? I think the danger is who you ask they may just use it to make money by re applying when not needed. The the link I put on previously http://costaconsultingbureau.com/leg...fter-3-months/ does have a telephone number at the bottom for further clarification, (worth a try as they seem to suggest your old NIE certificate will not expire)
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice

The numbers will not change they are for life it is just that the new certificate as a time limit of 3 months but the old ones do not show any limit. that is where the confusion lies as to if the old certificate expires? I think the danger is who you ask they may just use it to make money by re applying when not needed. The the link I put on previously http://costaconsultingbureau.com/leg...fter-3-months/ does have a telephone number at the bottom for further clarification, (worth a try as they seem to suggest your old NIE certificate will not expire)
Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:47 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Comment here from Lawbird, spanish lawyers.

http://nienumber.com/wordpress/new-r...off-investors/
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chocaholic22
Thanks for the advice.
I have e mailed that link to see if I can get clarification if I get any I will post it, there is off course a chance they won't give the info without paying for it!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

I have e mailed that link to see if I can get clarification if I get any I will post it, there is off course a chance they won't give the info without paying for it!
Thank you, that is most kind- I was just thinking of doing that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.