Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Re - registering cars ????

Re - registering cars ????

Old May 25th 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Phil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura about
Default Re - registering cars ????

Hi...

We are looking at buying an Mitsubishi L200 Warrior, but have just been informed that it would be no good if we are thinking of moving to Spain as we would be unable to re-register it over there... Is this true and if so why ???
Don't really want to buy a vehicle that we may have to sell again in a few months time.....

Thanks Chele
Old May 25th 2007, 5:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re - registering cars ????

Originally Posted by Phil & Chele
Hi...

We are looking at buying an Mitsubishi L200 Warrior, but have just been informed that it would be no good if we are thinking of moving to Spain as we would be unable to re-register it over there... Is this true and if so why ???
Don't really want to buy a vehicle that we may have to sell again in a few months time.....

Thanks Chele
RHD commercial vehicles cannot be re registered in Spain, i.e. trucks, vans etc etc, and the "pickup" type 4 x 4's are treated as commercial vehicles over here I believe
Old May 25th 2007, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

http://coches.segundamano.es/resulta...ategoria_id=37

for list of Spanish L200s for sale second hand
Old May 25th 2007, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Phil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
RHD commercial vehicles cannot be re registered in Spain, i.e. trucks, vans etc etc, and the "pickup" type 4 x 4's are treated as commercial vehicles over here I believe
Would we need to re- register the vehicle and if so why...... Can we not just keep it as it is if we moved over ???

Sorry for sounding so stupid....
Old May 25th 2007, 6:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Would we need to re- register the vehicle and if so why......
You cant keep a UK registered vehicle on UK plates in Spain if you are re locating here ... see the free beer item at the top. For one thing after the MOT and tax in the UK runs out its illegal here, and for another thing Spanish law forbids it and if you still keep it UK registered you risk fines and all kinds of horrible nasty things
Also most UK companies don't insure you if you've re located. Use search, its one of the most commonly asked questions
Old May 25th 2007, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

You cant keep a UK registered vehicle on UK plates in Spain if you are re locating here ... see the free beer item at the top. For one thing after the MOT and tax in the UK runs out its illegal here, and for another thing Spanish law forbids it and if you still keep it UK registered you risk fines and all kinds of horrible nasty things
Also most UK companies don't insure you if you've re located. Use search, its one of the most commonly asked questions

Ok... Thank you for being so helpful..

ps... im not blonde honest !!
Old May 25th 2007, 6:55 pm
Senior Moment

I didn't mean you were being daft ... its just that everyone has to either bring a car over or buy one here so its a question everyone asks. And the L200 commercial thingy catches people out
Old May 25th 2007, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't mean you were being daft ... its just that everyone has to either bring a car over or buy one here so its a question everyone asks. And the L200 commercial thingy catches people out
Mmm.. Nightmare !!
Old May 25th 2007, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Re - registering cars ????

Hi Phil & Chele,

I am thinking of doing something similar when we eventually move over. There has been loads of info posted on many threads and I have tried to make sense of it all and distill out the important bits.

From what I understand if you bring a "commercial" vehicle and want to re register it it has to be LHD but to get a tax free import it has to registered in UK for 6 mths min. Thats a problem since you would have to change to RHD lights for UK first and then back again. Also you would need a MPH/KMH speedo.

Then there are time limits to get the tax free status 30 days from getting your certificate of residence I think (this is not the empadronmiento) but you could be a tourist for 6 mths before that if your UK insurance allows that and you still have a UK address (Saga Ins does).

It is very complicated but if you read everything then I am sure you can do it legally but suit your timetable.

Regards,

John.
</IMG>
Old May 25th 2007, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Phil & Chele,

I am thinking of doing something similar when we eventually move over. There has been loads of info posted on many threads and I have tried to make sense of it all and distill out the important bits.

From what I understand if you bring a "commercial" vehicle and want to re register it it has to be LHD but to get a tax free import it has to registered in UK for 6 mths min. Thats a problem since you would have to change to RHD lights for UK first and then back again. Also you would need a MPH/KMH speedo.

Then there are time limits to get the tax free status 30 days from getting your certificate of residence I think (this is not the empadronmiento) but you could be a tourist for 6 mths before that if your UK insurance allows that and you still have a UK address (Saga Ins does).

It is very complicated but if you read everything then I am sure you can do it legally but suit your timetable.

Regards,

John.
</IMG>
Think i may have to talk hubby out of having one... !!!!
Old May 25th 2007, 7:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons is that a rhd commercial has loading doors on the wrong side of the vehical.
I think you will also find if they think that you have moved here to be resident in Spain then they can bring the 30 days forward.
Read driving in Spain links in the free beer thread.
Old May 25th 2007, 7:32 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Phil & Chele,
Regards,
John.
</IMG>
It has to be registered in your name in the Uk for 6 months.
Registering on the padron starts the 30 day clock ticking ...... Before March you didn't actually need to take a residency, but the law changed. I unfortunately had to register on the padron before Christmas for various reasons, and therefire ended up paying import reg tax on the UK car I bought in as it was 2 months later
Old May 25th 2007, 7:45 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
One of the reasons is that a rhd commercial has loading doors on the wrong side of the vehical.
I think you will also find if they think that you have moved here to be resident in Spain then they can bring the 30 days forward.
Read driving in Spain links in the free beer thread.
The reason you cannot register a RHD commercial vehicle is that, as the driver is on the "wrong" side, there is a requirement to have all round visibility.

In a van or lorry this is clearly impossible. A pickup does have that visibility but if it was laden as designed, it would not, hence the fact that it cannot be registered.

Pickups are a bit of a grey area and it may well be down to your local ITV station as to whether they will let it through.
Old May 25th 2007, 7:46 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Fred James
Pickups are a bit of a grey area and it may well be down to your local ITV station as to whether they will let it through.

Bit risky then
Old May 25th 2007, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
what is a ITV station, im guessing it has nothing to do with Coronation Street .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.