Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Re-registering British plated 30 year old campervan

Re-registering British plated 30 year old campervan

Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:36 am
Just Joined

patrick1958 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re-registering British plated 30 year old campervan

Anyone know of hestoria with experience in this in the Alicante, Calpe, Benidorm, Murcia areas etc? Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:48 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-registering British plated 30 year old campervan

Originally Posted by patrick1958
Anyone know of hestoria with experience in this in the Alicante, Calpe, Benidorm, Murcia areas etc? Thanks

As far as I was aware, and from previous posts on here, I didn't think capervans could be matriculated.

Any one know the facts?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a vision thing, Vans per se cannot be done, campervans probably difficult and there will be the certificate of comformity? which will be difficult on something so old.

There will be minds immeasurably more powerful than mine along with an answer but I suspect it will be no, or not without massive difficulties.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

You can forget Spanish plates for any old camper van, that's a fact.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replies. Any recommended hestorias who handle this sort of thing? Any help appreciated
Old Aug 21st 2012, 2:23 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replies. Any recommended hestorias who handle this sort of thing? Any help appreciated
I did read somewhere once that this company did a RHD campervan for someone http://www.spanish-number-plates.com/

they aren't gestores, & I can't personally recommend them, but apparently they can do it
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:30 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

I matriculated my 1993 Fiat Hymer a little over 3 years ago but then it was LHD which helped. It has to be said it's not cheap to do and the biggest problem I encountered was a worn number engraved on the bodywork of the van otherwise no problem. But if it's RHD, I believe it's harder. Good luck though.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:32 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We have re-matriculated a RHD campervan - but it was some while ago. The only extra was for the gas heating. The best person to ask is the Jefe at the local ITV station - he will know and be glad to impart his knowledge

Davexf
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Sould have mentioned... it is LHD! Thanks again.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:53 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

In that case you shouldn't have a problem as long as all the engraved numbers are not worn away!!!! Good luck.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

If you take the road towards Javea from the N332 at Gata, after about 7 kms you will see a car sales garage on the right. It's the only one on that road. The guy who runs it is Dutch, and they run a gestoria company that matriculates vehicles, even difficult ones. Ive lost the telephone number at the moment, but they are good. They do the whole things from start to finish. Marcello Gestoria. Good luck
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:58 am
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 1995 toyota mr2 and because it didnt have a certificate of comformity
then it was hard as toyota gb had to send a special letter to the ITV station ,and that for a car that was in use in spain ..me i would register the van in the name of a UK person (granny) get UK insurance in joint names (you and granny)
and just drive it ....the rule is that that if the OWNER has a NIF etc then you have to do it ... as long as you not parking it outside trafico every day i just would not bother ....
Old Aug 24th 2012, 1:36 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAT7311
i have a 1995 toyota mr2 and because it didnt have a certificate of comformity
then it was hard as toyota gb had to send a special letter to the ITV station ,and that for a car that was in use in spain ..me i would register the van in the name of a UK person (granny) get UK insurance in joint names (you and granny)
and just drive it ....the rule is that that if the OWNER has a NIF etc then you have to do it ... as long as you not parking it outside trafico every day i just would not bother ...
Errr, the rule is that if you dont reside in the UK then you cannot normally insure a car or motorhome as its normally 90 days for holidays, and as a Spanish resident you cannot legally drive a UK registered vehicle without having the matriculation process running.

Do you not think what you suggested might be a bit of a risk on all levels.

I had a 1995 Mitsubishi FTO by the way, a grey import from Japan, and got it matriculated easily by the guy I recommended above
Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:09 pm
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point

plenty of brits who didnt take any risks are standing in dole Qs in Manchester

SAGA uk car insurance (which is underwritten in GIBRALTAR at Acromas Insurance Company Limited, 57-63 Line Wall Road, Gibraltar. Registered number 88716 ) allow you to drive a UK reg car as long as you like ANYWHERE in europe
http://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/car-insurance.aspx
ANYONE can drive ANY car registered in EUROPE with ANY EUROPEAN DRIVING LICENCE ...unless lots of LORRY drivers are breaking the law driving across europe ...
what you mean is that someone WITH AN NIE NUMBER has to put A CAR IN THEIR NAME that is IN SPAIN onto SPANISH PLATES .its not the car ITS THE OWNER .i am very very surprised that you got a SVA UK gray import put on spanish plates i was told this is impossible
Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:30 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by BAT7311
plenty of brits who didnt take any risks are standing in dole Qs in Manchester

SAGA uk car insurance (which is underwritten in GIBRALTAR at Acromas Insurance Company Limited, 57-63 Line Wall Road, Gibraltar. Registered number 88716 ) allow you to drive a UK reg car as long as you like ANYWHERE in europe
http://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/car-insurance.aspx
ANYONE can drive ANY car registered in EUROPE with ANY EUROPEAN DRIVING LICENCE ...unless lots of LORRY drivers are breaking the law driving across europe ...
what you mean is that someone WITH AN NIE NUMBER has to put A CAR IN THEIR NAME that is IN SPAIN onto SPANISH PLATES .its not the car ITS THE OWNER .i am very very surprised that you got a SVA UK gray import put on spanish plates i was told this is impossible
No, I mean that someone who has signed on the foreigners list and lives here cannot drive a UK plated car. The insurance is somewhat irrelevant in that case because SAGA may allow you to do it, but you cant drive it in the country you live in as you have to adhere to the local country laws and change it to Spanish plates.

Lorry drivers . I think you are confusing the issue. I used to own a freight company that sent drivers all over europe. Thats not quite the same my friend as living in a different country, and also you cant legally renew a UK licence if you dont reside in the UK either

No, the matriculation of the grey import took about a week. Ive now re registered it on UK plates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.