Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

re register motorhome to Spanish plates

re register motorhome to Spanish plates

Old Feb 4th 2021, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

kevindown is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile re register motorhome to Spanish plates

Hi I've read a few posts ref reregistering a UK registered motor home onto Spanish plates, but those posts were many years ago & pre Brexit. I have a 2006 LHD Winnebago on UK plates, I had planned last year in August to travel around Europe for possibly 3 to 4 years. Unfortunately COVID & Brexit came along & now its on hold until hopefully later this year.
Sorry a bit long winded but What I am trying to find out is, could I register my winnebago on Spanish plates, (UK MOT will last a year) after a year of travelling Spain ? as I believe that the UK MOT equivalent is every 2 years? this would benefit us ! however with Brexit have our plans been scuppered with ref to travelling around Europe for that long a period ? where present rules are only 90 days !!!
Please if anyone knows a way around each issue please help, as i'm losing the will for our dreams of travelling Europe with our winnebago !!!!
Old Feb 4th 2021, 10:46 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: re register motorhome to Spanish plates

Welcome to BE, we do ask all new members to have a quick read of the forum rules. https://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ and should you have any site related problems please contact one of the moderators, names in bold at the bottom right of each forum page. We do have a specific forum for Spain https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/ which would be the best place to ask your question as the Welcome Inn is really only for introductions. The things you need to consider, which will affect the ability of putting onto Spanish plates are, does the motorhome have a side entrance, if it does, then it's not going to be possible to get it reregistered as that would mean you would be stepping out into the road. aslpo, have any modifications been done from its manufactured state, these would have to be undone. I have asked the mods to move your post to the Spain forum, there are people on there who might well know the current situation. I suspect you dream of driving round as you say is, unless rules change, a non starter regarding the length of the trip as currently the rules state a limit for being in any EU country, so the clock wouldn't reset by driving into France
Old Feb 5th 2021, 6:29 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola,

The important thing is do you have a certificate of European conformity, or can you get one from the manufacturer. If you can then you are in with a chance, but without one, you will need to know that the vehicle has been type tested because if not, then there are only two MOT stations and the cost, last time I asked, was 3,000€

The is a non-lucrative visa obtainable form the Spanish consulates in the UK. This will allow you initially one year, then a further two years followed by a further two years and then a visa without end - but it means you must have either income or money in the bank significantly that you can support yourself. But you need to look at the terms

Davexf
Old Feb 5th 2021, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Cant help with much but the ITV on cars is 2 years up to a certain age. I think 14 years old will involve an ITV each year
Old Feb 5th 2021, 11:14 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guesswork
Cant help with much but the ITV on cars is 2 years up to a certain age. I think 14 years old will involve an ITV each year
^^ yes, after 10 years old it is every year
Old Feb 5th 2021, 11:38 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
^^ yes, after 10 years old it is every year
Hola,

If the vehicle is defined as "Mixta" as in mixed use, then it is every 6 months when ten years old. Things like the Renault Kangoo can be turismo or mixta

Davexf
Old Feb 5th 2021, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

firstly thanks for your reply & apologies for posting in the wrong area to start with but thanks for redirecting it. & yes I think the travel time is going to be my main issue.

Last edited by kevindown; Feb 5th 2021 at 12:41 pm. Reason: update
Old Feb 5th 2021, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Hola
thanks for the info, I think I will need to take a visit to the Spanish Consulate ! to see what the winnebago category is likely to be, judging by the age of the vehicle 2006 the inspections could be every year anyway ! which is no great issue obviously that's if the vehicle meets the criteria to start with ! with ref the non-lucrative visa that sounds like a good option for us.

Kev
Old Feb 7th 2021, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevindown
Hola
thanks for the info, I think I will need to take a visit to the Spanish Consulate ! to see what the winnebago category is likely to be, judging by the age of the vehicle 2006 the inspections could be every year anyway ! which is no great issue obviously that's if the vehicle meets the criteria to start with ! with ref the non-lucrative visa that sounds like a good option for us.

Kev
If its a Winnebago it most likely was imported to the UK as a grey import and registered with IVA , you are unlikely to get it registered in Spain without big expenses , also now its post Brexit you may also get nailed for import duties and VAT so not worth it , best to sell it in the UK and then buy a European/Spanish registered one in Spain/Europe ,if you can it will save you a huge amount of stress and money .

edit If you are only allowed in to Europe for 90 days then thats that , no point re registering .

Last edited by Rotor; Feb 7th 2021 at 5:45 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 8:22 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hola,

The key document for avoiding the "First registration tax" commonly called an import duty, is the date the padron was first issued. if you import your goods and chattels within 60 days of getting the padron, then there is no first registration tax to pay.

Davexf
Old Feb 7th 2021, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

I appreciate its an unusual vehicle & possible hassle which could go with getting registered but I think my main objective will be to get the visa sorted. but also it will depend on the COVID situation in Europe.
regards kev