British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Rather an odd one.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/rather-odd-one-715585/)

The Nomad May 4th 2011 1:46 am

Rather an odd one..

Yes I have read the 'free beer' but still confused. I am moving to Spain in November from Mexico. I wish to bring my pet dog with me. I understand the dog I.D and up to date vaccinations plus a health certificate from the vets.

I have been in touch with the Min.of Agg in Mexico city and they state that new regulations only require the above.

It appears (there words) that blood tests are no longer required. BTW this is at least the 2nd year of vaccinations. On the of chance has anybody experienced recently a move with pet from this part of the world

Thanks

Any easy to understand link would be appreciated. Have tried 'googling' but with no success

Jur May 4th 2011 7:44 am

Re: Rather an odd one..

All dogs in Spain have to have a chip otherwise they will not receive their vaccination (so I´m told). I do not know if you can can have the chip done in Mexico though.

Hillybilly May 4th 2011 9:17 am

There's info here
http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/live...m_third_en.htm

The Nomad May 4th 2011 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Jur (Post 9342155)
All dogs in Spain have to have a chip otherwise they will not receive their vaccination (so I´m told). I do not know if you can can have the chip done in Mexico though.

Thanks Jur,
Yes we can have (and will) the ID chip implanted. I fact must get that done soon :) Thanks

AdrianTO May 4th 2011 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by The Nomad (Post 9341806)
Yes I have read the 'free beer' but still confused. I am moving to Spain in November from Mexico. I wish to bring my pet dog with me. I understand the dog I.D and up to date vaccinations plus a health certificate from the vets.

When I flew to Spain with my dog all I had was the microchip and the vaccination certificate. It should be enough.

However, when I landed at Malaga airport, I took my dog and left without anybody ever checking any papers.

The Nomad May 4th 2011 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by AdrianTO (Post 9342701)
When I flew to Spain with my dog all I had was the microchip and the vaccination certificate. It should be enough.

However, when I landed at Malaga airport, I took my dog and left without anybody ever checking any papers.

Thanks for the info Adrian,

Where were you coming in from ?

AdrianTO May 4th 2011 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by The Nomad (Post 9342971)
Thanks for the info Adrian,

Where were you coming in from ?

I was on a Lufthansa flight coming in from Frankfurt. However, my journey originated in Canada. There was even a separate customs area where I had to go and pick up the dog, with customs agents walking around, but they didnt bother to look at anything and I just walked out.

The Nomad May 4th 2011 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by AdrianTO (Post 9343012)
I was on a Lufthansa flight coming in from Frankfurt. However, my journey originated in Canada. There was even a separate customs area where I had to go and pick up the dog, with customs agents walking around, but they didnt bother to look at anything and I just walked out.

Thanks again, it all sounds very encouraging :)

AdrianTO May 4th 2011 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by The Nomad (Post 9343076)
Thanks again, it all sounds very encouraging :)

Which airline will you be flying with?

The Nomad May 4th 2011 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by AdrianTO (Post 9343152)
Which airline will you be flying with?

To be honest am not quite sure at present. Hopefully AeroMexico which goes to both Madrid and Barcelona. I do not want to travel through the US if possible.

We are a way of yet but need to start making all necessary preparations. We are aiming to rent in the Alicante ..Valencia.. Barca area

BTW we are not buying a car untill we arrive in Spain.Do you know if pets are allowed to travel on trains (with us obviously)

AdrianTO May 4th 2011 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by The Nomad (Post 9343484)
To be honest am not quite sure at present. Hopefully AeroMexico which goes to both Madrid and Barcelona. I do not want to travel through the US if possible.

We are a way of yet but need to start making all necessary preparations. We are aiming to rent in the Alicante ..Valencia.. Barca area

BTW we are not buying a car untill we arrive in Spain.Do you know if pets are allowed to travel on trains (with us obviously)

I am pretty sure pets are allowed on trains as long as they are in their crate or traveller.

I did a lot of research on airlines before I decided on Lufthansa. They have consistently good reviews when it comes to carrying pets. But, of course, a direct flight is definitely preferable.

Also, before you get on the flight, talk to the airline staff at the gate and have them radio the pilot to make sure that your pet is actually on the plane with you.

The Nomad May 4th 2011 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by AdrianTO (Post 9343789)
I am pretty sure pets are allowed on trains as long as they are in their crate or traveller.

I did a lot of research on airlines before I decided on Lufthansa. They have consistently good reviews when it comes to carrying pets. But, of course, a direct flight is definitely preferable.

Also, before you get on the flight, talk to the airline staff at the gate and have them radio the pilot to make sure that your pet is actually on the plane with you.

Thanks again Adrian,
Just checked with Lufthansa and most if not all have at least one stopover (most 2) with the average time of 20+ hours (from Mex city)

I'll wait untill I know the dates and try for AeroMexico as there direct flights to Madrid are considerably shorter. With the new high speed link from Madrid to Valencia the whole journey will hopefully be much shorter. Thank you for all your advice and time to post it. Have to get the dog used to a traveler now ;)

Many thanks again :thumbup: