Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Rain - disaster stories?

Rain - disaster stories?

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rain - disaster stories?

A house on our only tarmac road into the village is currently teetering worryingly near the edge of a landslip which has been slithering since the torrential rain a couple of weeks back......bulldozers needed to shift tons of sodden mud, fallen trees, power lines down, a concrete wall currently at a crazy angle sliding down the slope. If the rain today doesn't do it I'm wondering how much more is needed before the terrace, pool and ultimately house collapse.
I can see a major landslip on the mountainside some 10k away.
A friend can't get to the village at all because the road has given way.
An outing to Osuna is under threat because the old ladies in the village consider the weather is so bad they would rather stay at home!
My intermittently leaky roof and now very damp firewood is small fry in comparison.....
Are we the only area having fun like this?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:05 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rain - disaster stories?

Sounds dreadful !!! it wouldn't be right to take pictures would it !!!???

We have rain too in Hondón Valley, can't see the mountains for low clouds - a grey miserable day
- like a wet weekend in Blackpool (sorry Blackpool people) .
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
Sounds dreadful !!! it wouldn't be right to take pictures would it !!!???

We have rain too in Hondón Valley, can't see the mountains for low clouds - a grey miserable day
- like a wet weekend in Blackpool (sorry Blackpool people) .
I have to admit I make sure my phone(s) are easily accessible every time I drive past ...... excuse being I'd have to phone police etc if I saw a disaster, back of my mind reason being pic of house descending......
however I haven't yet resorted to carrying the Nikon with me!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=fionamw;7341509]I have to admit I make sure my phone(s) are easily accessible every time I drive past ...... excuse being I'd have to phone police etc if I saw a disaster, back of my mind reason being pic of house descending......
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Quite scary Fiona do you normally get such wet weather????
Or is it very unusual in your area for this time of year.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:28 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

This area is like a geography textbook illustration for soil erosion. It's a very sandy area, and you can see stock tracks turning into gullies, gullies into arroyos and so on.

Every slope along the motorway that is of any size is scarred with slips, some of them quite huge where the soil has liquified and flowed.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think we'd all be expecting there to be some fierce torrents with accompanying erosion with last month's rain - no surprises though, that the properties worst affected are the ones built in extraordinary haste on newly dug platforms.......
I forgot to mention the 4x4 seen up to its windows in the riverbed that's normally safe to walk the dog! No, the rain's not been like it in my time here but I'm told by all & sundry that it's 'nothing on 2004'..... that was the year an unfortunate local died when his car was swept away crossing a normally tame ford, and I believe also the year they had to release water from Lake Vinuela because it was lapping at the top of the dam!
Still, as we all mutter sagely, 'we need it'...
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I think we'd all be expecting there to be some fierce torrents with accompanying erosion with last month's rain - no surprises though, that the properties worst affected are the ones built in extraordinary haste on newly dug platforms.......
I forgot to mention the 4x4 seen up to its windows in the riverbed that's normally safe to walk the dog! No, the rain's not been like it in my time here but I'm told by all & sundry that it's 'nothing on 2004'..... that was the year an unfortunate local died when his car was swept away crossing a normally tame ford, and I believe also the year they had to release water from Lake Vinuela because it was lapping at the top of the dam!
Still, as we all mutter sagely, 'we need it'...
A lot of cars that were parked were washed down the riverbed last year in Fuengirola.
Safer on the roads. ;-))
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
A lot of cars that were parked were washed down the riverbed last year in Fuengirola.
Safer on the roads. ;-))
I remember going to the Mijas aquapark a few days after & there were still cars parked in inches of mud
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:18 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Yes my special plants arnt doing to good.Ive move loads into the shed and gave them climate control and artifficial sun.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 5:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
Yes my special plants arnt doing to good.Ive move loads into the shed and gave them climate control and artifficial sun.
Light em up quick. ;-))