Wikiposts

Radio Channels

Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Jamtart98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Radio Channels

Not urgent,nor life or death,however important to my enjoyment.

Until approximately one month ago I enjoyed listening to a Radio Station Wave96FM which broadcasts up and down the coast.
I particularly enjoyed listening to it as being from the 60,s era the music was primarily from these years.

Another plus point was/is that there are no "waffling" DJ,s and adverts were restricted to every 15 minutes.News was on the hour from the BBC World Service.

However approx one month ago on tuning in one morning I discovered I was listening to the Benalmadena Municipal Radio Station on 96FM!!!
Wave96FM is still broadcasting on 96FM as I,ve checked it on the Internet.

Can anyone explain/advise why I should suddenly not be able to pick up Wave96FM? Are Benalmadena putting out a stronger signal? How can two stations be broadcasting on the same wavelength?

I did send an e mail to WaveFM but surprisingly they did not reply.

Any advice from ex-pats greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:05 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Radio Channels

Originally Posted by Jamtart98
Not urgent,nor life or death,however important to my enjoyment.

Until approximately one month ago I enjoyed listening to a Radio Station Wave96FM which broadcasts up and down the coast.
I particularly enjoyed listening to it as being from the 60,s era the music was primarily from these years.

Another plus point was/is that there are no "waffling" DJ,s and adverts were restricted to every 15 minutes.News was on the hour from the BBC World Service.

However approx one month ago on tuning in one morning I discovered I was listening to the Benalmadena Municipal Radio Station on 96FM!!!
Wave96FM is still broadcasting on 96FM as I,ve checked it on the Internet.

Can anyone explain/advise why I should suddenly not be able to pick up Wave96FM? Are Benalmadena putting out a stronger signal? How can two stations be broadcasting on the same wavelength?

I did send an e mail to WaveFM but surprisingly they did not reply.

Any advice from ex-pats greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum, This is probably best asked in the Spanish Section but someone will move it along soon enough.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:14 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 19th 2011, 7:12 am
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

RTVB on that channel but problem is with there transmitter and sould be back soon ,
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. I,m surprised Wave did,nt inform me of this but I,ll listen out and hopefully be listening again in a few weeks.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

HI, I am not sure but I think Wave have gone belly up, if you like music from the 50's onwards try Silk fm Spain on 98.2 or 90.3 you could also look at www.silkfmspain.com , facebook is silkfm-spain. I found it by accident and really enjoy it.

I tend to listen to them on my pc as I live inland and can not get them on my radio. They play a really good mix of music and the ads tend to be on the half hour only with the news coming from the UK.

I have a huge problem getting any radio station even the ones in Alhaurin itself, the only ones I pick up are Spanish and as much as I love the Spanish I need to hear English at times, lol.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:09 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

the following is taken from the front page of their website

There is a serious problem with our link transmitter from our studios to the main mast. A spare part is on its way and normal service will be resumed soon. Thank you to our friends at RTVB for holding the frequency for us. You can still listen online via our listen page.

If you are picking up another station, please remember that an FM frequency can be allocated to more than one station but not in close proximity. You may remember that BBC FM had something like 4 different frequencies to stop interference on the same frequencies.

In "the good old days" when we used to listen to things like Luxembourg etc on Medium Wave you could actually hear the station signal improve as they changed the aerials and the line of darkness increased the propagation (distance increases as darkness draws in). used to be able to listen to some quite exotic stations from out beyond Turkey on the odd occaision.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Domino that information is very useful and explains everything.
Just a question of being patient until they get their problems sorted out.
I,ll give silkfm a try meantime as suggested by jay01 as it sounds a bit similar to Wave.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info and I,ll certainly give silkfm a try as it sounds similar to Wave.
I don,t envy you the difficulties of trying to get reception in the "campo" and don,t know how I would cope as I listen to the radio a lot.
Some of the Stations I by pass with inane chatter and "music" not to my liking and adverts which go on for around five minutes at a time!!!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:26 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Domino that information is very useful and explains everything.
Just a question of being patient until they get their problems sorted out.
I,ll give silkfm a try meantime as suggested by jay01 as it sounds a bit similar to Wave.
This afternoon listened to Wave96 online using Windows Media Player and found it quite good - plenty of memories, even listening to Helen Shapiro was surprised how crisp and intelligible she sounded after 50years
A mix that included Bony M and REM meant that I had many memories over the decades.

As an alternative have found that online 1.FM offers a good range of genres that may also suit you online but my personal preference is Jazz and go to Bay Smooth Jazz for many years now.

hope they get the gizmo fitted and back on air soon
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again Domino. I,ll give 1fm a listen as there is no harm in seeking a bit of variety.
My jazz I,m afraid was more confined to Trad Jazz in the ilk of Acker,Kenny Ball,Terry Lightfoot to name a few.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:27 pm

Thanks again Domino. I,ll give 1fm a listen as there is no harm in seeking a bit of variety.
My jazz I,m afraid was more confined to Trad Jazz in the ilk of Acker,Kenny Ball,Terry Lightfoot to name a few.
having been brought up in those funny years of the 60's - following the Sinatra's with the Beatles I had some very funny ideas about "music". Years chasing around the world on a grey painted war canoe introduced me to many wierd and wonderful sounds. I would never have considered Jazz, Classical, etc but now actually listen to the music instead of just hearing it.
Remember trying to explain to my daughter (in to Culture Club) that the jam session Menuhin, Grappelli and Dankworth did on This is Your Life was something really extraordinary. She was too young to understand the joy of music, the expertise, the throwing and catching of the music - men confident in their chosen genre not afraid to come out of the musical styles they are best known for. Probably the first time I had realised that Menuhin could actually jazz on the violin.

Also missed getting to the original Ronnie Scott's when he ran it with an open bottle and a good time was had by all.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Domino it sounds like you have an ear for all varieties of music and while I,like your daughter,did,nt appreciate the gentlemen you named or their music in the 60,s I did come to enjoy all music as I matured with the years.

I enjoy now opening up Youtube and listening to whatever takes my mood at that moment. This will vary from "Pop" to Classics to Jazz and as you say I can now listen to it and not just hear it. Such a difference.

I hope you continue to enjoy many hours of listening to your favourite music.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 4:51 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of stations in the free beer thread.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01
(SNIPS)
I have a huge problem getting any radio station even the ones in Alhaurin itself, the only ones I pick up are Spanish and as much as I love the Spanish I need to hear English at times, lol.
I'd be REALLY over the moon to get any stations, radio or tv, preferably Spanish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.