Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Racism in Barcelona Company

Racism in Barcelona Company

Old Oct 24th 2009, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in Barcelona Company

I´m sorry you had such a bad experience merrymm.

I think you should have brought up the issues with your bosses, as others have said it sounds like a clash of personalities which you came off worse on. That can happen anywhere in the world in any company.

It does sounds strange to me that you are calling this "racism". I think that is the wrong word afterall Spanish and British are hardly different races!

In all my time living and working in Spain I have never been insulted for being British or even heard any serious anti Brit talk, but thats not to say it doesnt happen.

On the other side of the coin, my OH is Spanish. She went to learn English in Kent when she was 16, her friend was spat on and told to go home you Spanish xxx by a middle aged lady at a bus stop!
Old Oct 24th 2009, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warren d
Well you can't force people to like you no matter where you are from and what you do.
I'm not too bothered if the Spanish dislike me just because I'm British. I think I'm a nice person. I offer to help neighbours move stuff and I'll help push a broken down car out of the road for a stranger etc. It's other peoples loss if they don't want to be my friend.
I wouldn't want the Spanish government to start bringing in laws banning loads of words on my behalf just in case some Brit was easily offended. I was brought up to believe that sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
Originally Posted by warren d
No laws can force people to be your friend. You could be made to feel just as uncomfortable among your own kind if they don't like you.
I went digger driving on a site in Milton Keynes. The people I was working with were either Irish or from the north of England. They didn't like me from day one. I don't know if it was because I am a southerner or English or the way I look or what but they made it very clear with their attitude towards me that they really disliked me. It was a horrible atmosphere to work in and I felt so down and alone. I knew I was not wanted there and left after two weeks.

I don't think it's a question of wanting to make people be your friend, nor do I think it's whining. I don't think it's right that people should 'move on' simply because they've been made to feel unwelcome by ignorant co-workers & blinkered or equally ignorant bosses. I do think it's reasonable to expect that the least that would happen in a civilised, educated society is that you be treated as an equal in everything but nationality (in this case OP's used the word race, which some have objected to). And nationality shouldn't make sufficient difference to allow co-workers to ostracise someone seemingly from the word go. I'm not sure it should make any difference, but I'm trying to be the ultimate libra here....
We can all give examples of bad behaviour in many different situations, whether an English woman in Kent or an extranjero kid shouting guiri at a Spanish-born lad this week in Colmenar.... doesn't take away from the fact that merrymm seems to have encountered prejudice which her bosses should have beenmade aware of and done something about. It may be too late now but I understand the principle of wanting to take some however minor step to ensure not too many more people, of whatever creed colour or nationality, have to put up with ignorance of that type.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Originally Posted by merrymm
I don't like the idea that its ok to be racist. I was brought up with the idea of tolerance and that educated people where tolerant. Racist to me where always ignorant small minded people.
I went to this company because I thought they where professional educated people. It put me off trying to work anywhere else in Europe if they don't have the same kind of attitude as educated people in the UK.
Educated people can be just as racist as anyone else, it's a belief set that's ingrained in an individual, something that education can't change..

That being said, I don't believe what you experienced was racism, rather you were picked on because you were different, and "talked funny". I would call it work place bullying rather than racism.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Seeing as a white English person is of the same "race" as a white Spanish person, it is genuinely difficult to call this racism. Perhaps xenophobia... but racism, I don't think so. I'm sorry to be personal but you mention being overweight as a possible reason for this treatment, perhaps they are just downright ignorant? I live in Barcelona and although I have found it difficult to make Catalan friends (that's another point, were your colleagues "Spanish" or "Catalan"?), I have never experienced direct hostility. My husband is South American (he looks and sounds a lot like an Andaluz) and although he has experienced certain "comments" whilst working on construction sites and the like, neither has he experienced "racism" here. He has however been surprised at how "Ignorant" and uneducated people are here compared to many South Americans (I can agree with him on this one, many South Americans are far better educated than the Brits and Spanish). This is a tricky one... I don't think it should put anyone off living anywhere else in Europe, I think it is a one-off, albeit an unfortunate and distressing one-off...
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

merrymm is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw this link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rs-taunts.html

Why is it ok for this guy to openly sue his company over racism in the UK and I can do nothing about it because there is no laws protecting me in Spain. Why have I got no rights in Europe. My experience was 10 times worse than this.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

merrymm is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried to reply there but it seems to be monitored now and has to be approved. Is there nothing I can do to make an example of this company so that other companies will think twice about doing it to there employees if they are not spanish.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 7:49 am
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

From the little I`ve researched on Spains legal systems, I fear a court wouldn`t be appropriate.

It can take months if not years to recover money being owed too you, so sueing a company for discrimination maybe impossible.

UK police are set up to deal with racism a police officer can arrest a person making racial comments to another.

Have you tried enquiring with the Spanish police, I have no idea who would be responsible, I guess first stop would be the Policia Local and ask for advice.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
(that's another point, were your colleagues "Spanish" or "Catalan"?),.
Whilst many Catalans wouldn't admit it, if they are Catalan, they are Spanish!
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

warren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud of

I tried to reply there but it seems to be monitored now and has to be approved. Is there nothing I can do to make an example of this company so that other companies will think twice about doing it to there employees if they are not spanish.
Seriously. You seem like a nice enough person. It is their loss, not yours that they chose to dislike you.
Would you rather work with people that like you or with people that tolerate you because some law doesn't allow them to show how ignorant they really are? Keep away from people like that and enjoy life.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

I saw this link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rs-taunts.html

Why is it ok for this guy to openly sue his company over racism in the UK and I can do nothing about it because there is no laws protecting me in Spain. Why have I got no rights in Europe. My experience was 10 times worse than this.
Because life itself is inherently unfair !

You do have right's in Spain, there are laws similar to the UK's, re racial aggravation of crime's.

However, have you considered the culture that you live in ? The Spanish are a very direct people, and are no way as near as pc nation as the British. They are just as bad to each other as they are to other nationalities !

Did you stand up for yourself, and establish boundaries ? In my experience, people get treated in the way they allow themselve's to be treated

From re-reading you post, it seem's you went down the route of, excuse me for saying it, but "sucking up" to your tormenter's. Never a good way to handle bully's, or any aggressor.

An example of this, was the recent story of a Spanish employee, who called his boss a, "fat, son of a bitch !", in response to his bosses continual bullying !

The case went to court, and the court ruled it was ok to insult his boss in this manner, owing to his bosses continual bullying. The employee kept his job.

I dont mean to come down on you, or sound condescending, but personally I would have at the very least given as good as I got, and established respect in that way, ( or taken the ringleader outside and kicked the s**t out of him)
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agoreira
Whilst many Catalans wouldn't admit it, if they are Catalan, they are Spanish!
That's why I put it in inverted commas...! Hehehe
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Merrymm,

I feel I have to apoligise for the rather lack of seriousness given by contributors to the rather serious issue of racism in Spain. It is a huge problem and not likely to change in the near future.

Racism is not allowed, according to the Spanish Constitution. So therefore should you wish to take action in the courts, it would be taken seriously. YOU HAVE RIGHTS.

At the time of the event (each specific event), you should have denounced the various parties to the police. The fact that so much time has now elapsed, the probability of convictions are much lower.

Other than that, you should be getting advice from a lawyer - one that's an expert in this area, of course.

I can assure you, that if it was you that made racist comments or remarks to a Spaniard, u would have been brought before a judge to explain yourself.

Last week in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, a Spanish business woman was arrested by Policia Local for calling him a "chulo". Work that one out!! She was only stating the obvious, lol.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

What does "Chulo"mean, can it be said in English, on an open forum ?
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Can we just clarify though, can this case really be called "racism" or rather "prejudice"? I know it's semantics but it is important, as surely to be called racist you have to have a problem with someone's "race", rather than which country they are from (nowhere near the same thing)? I read the article about the Spanish guy in a British company that someone posted the link to, and although I accept he was insulted, I just can't think of this as a "race" issue. For example, gitanos in Spain have another race, they are a different ethnic group. So if you are anti-gitano, that can be said to be racist. But if someone in Madrid criticises a Catalan, that isn't racism, as they both have the same ethnicity, instead it is prejudice. Just my thoughts on the matter...
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
Can we just clarify though, can this case really be called "racism" or rather "prejudice"? I know it's semantics but it is important, as surely to be called racist you have to have a problem with someone's "race", rather than which country they are from (nowhere near the same thing)? I read the article about the Spanish guy in a British company that someone posted the link to, and although I accept he was insulted, I just can't think of this as a "race" issue. For example, gitanos in Spain have another race, they are a different ethnic group. So if you are anti-gitano, that can be said to be racist. But if someone in Madrid criticises a Catalan, that isn't racism, as they both have the same ethnicity, instead it is prejudice. Just my thoughts on the matter...
For myself, with some but limited knowledge of gipsy/romany/traveller groupings, I would just raise the question whether they are actually a race. Indeed what is a race?
I agree the quesiton might better be described as prejudice, btw, said so several posts ago (I think!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.