Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Racism in Barcelona Company

Racism in Barcelona Company

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:39 am
Just Joined

merrymm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Racism in Barcelona Company

I used to live in Barcelona and worked for a IT company there but while there I was bullied alot and subjected to alot of racism towards myself by fellow employees. I spent up to 1 year there and even tried to sort it out with my manager but he said there was nothing he could do to change peoples opinions.
Took me a while to go back to another job afterwards when I returned back to the UK because I was afraid people would turn on me and I would have to put up with insults and jeering everyday like in Barcelona.
I was isolated and became deeply depressed because couldn't find anyone who would help me and I wanted to make a good go of it in Spain.
It is like they stole 2 years of my life for putting up with it for 1 and then recovering from it.
I had no support from anyone because I was on my own in barcelona and have only today decided I would use this forum to see what I could have done about it and if I could do anything to make someone investigate this company for racist behaviour so that it happens noone else.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in Barcelona Company

Just so you know your post's been read....
But you haven't said what form of racism - do you mean as a British person? or colour? or something else? We all know the means exist in the UK to deal with the various -isms but maybe someone on the forum can answer your question for Spain; sorry I can't. Good luck, and I hope your life's a bit better & maybe back on track now.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:21 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

I`m supprised, I thought Spain was a tolerant country.

I`m assuming you mean colour, as Nationality intolerance isn`t really racism.

I`ve read other forums members complaining about Nationalism especially in Barcelona and anti feeling towards non Spaniards.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

So what race are you ? or are you just researching opinions ?

From what Ive seen over the years the spanish are less racist than the british .
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Someone called me a honkie about 45 years ago, but I forgot it till you reminded me.
Put it down to the learning curve of life mate.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Someone called me a honkie about 45 years ago, but I forgot it till you reminded me.
Put it down to the learning curve of life mate.

You could maybe still prosecute them
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:02 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
So what race are you ? or are you just researching opinions ?

From what Ive seen over the years the spanish are less racist than the british .
I fear the truth is you get bad and good wherever you go. Here this week in the UK there was a documentary on Panorama the other night. The Asian (reporters) who went to live on Bristol estates were abused and physically attacked just because they looked different. I can see horrible stuff like this getting worse as unemployment (and lack of opportunity for local people) continues to rise.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

warren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
Someone called me a honkie about 45 years ago
I think I would have to laugh if somebody called me that. I don't even know a racist term for white people that I could even begin to get upset about.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warren d
I think I would have to laugh if somebody called me that. I don't even know a racist term for white people that I could even begin to get upset about.
I worked with some Jamaicans pipe fitting on a lot of the London gas plants , their name for us was honkies and we called them spades.
There was no racism involved it was just how it was in them days, we went to some wicked Blue Beat parties with them, usually Fri night to Sun night.
People take too much to heart these days.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor

You think so? Apart from the performance at the race track involving Hamilton, you should read the Spanish forums, see what they really think of him and blacks. And the Spanish basketball team doing the slitty eyed thing, monkey chants at football matches. I speak with several Spanish and I have mentioned these things, and they all say it´s only a joke, they honestly do not believe they are doing anything wrong.

Even the Spanish Formula One officials, hell bent on maintaining the country’s F1 status seem unable and/or unwilling to see the incident further than a few ‘idiots’, who do ‘not represent the country’.

This was neither a few ‘idiots’, nor an insignificant number of racists. This was a large number of Spanaird’s hurling the most racist abuse, ‘negro de mierda’ –negro of s…- Puta de Miedra –son of s…-that should shame any modern country.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:06 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Racism has gone bonkers, same as school bullying.

Names mean nothing, in life young people need to build up a mental strength towards ignorance and stupidity.

This is done by facing issues, not hidding behind rules and regs.

I was fat a ginger in school, still ginger now and today as I did then, anybody calls me an insulting name will result in either a laugh or a smack.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:08 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think that white people can really understand racism.

I also don't think Spain is less racist than Britian. I would imagine that a black person or asian who works in corporate Spain, doing well, will get "kicked" and bullied. Obviously not all Spanish are intolerant or racist but it does happen.

I know that in my husband's place of work, some colleagues from India came and they had a hard time with racism, especially in town. Fortunately for them, they were only here a few weeks.

I feel for the opening poster, it seems to of really affected him. Without support of any loved ones, it must of been so difficult.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:14 pm
Banned

I`m recording Question time tonight, the BNP are on it.

Immigration is getting out of control, not just in the UK, its not also a Nationalism issue, but you can only have a certain amount of water in a bucket.

The BNP aren`t the threat they once where, we should be more concerned about the English Defence League.

I`m interested in how far the BNP are getting into mainstream politics.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 5:26 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
You think so? Apart from the performance at the race track involving Hamilton, you should read the Spanish forums, see what they really think of him and blacks. And the Spanish basketball team doing the slitty eyed thing, monkey chants at football matches. I speak with several Spanish and I have mentioned these things, and they all say it´s only a joke, they honestly do not believe they are doing anything wrong.
I agree that you find good and bad (including rascists) in all countries. But did you see this on Monday in the UK?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/fr...00/8303229.stm

Having rocks thrown at you and attempted muggings must be frightening for everyone, and this was a woman being attacked!

It's strange though - although you expect crime to be worse in big cities like London and Madrid, it's often the small communities in the country where "outsiders" find it difficult to live and work.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 5:27 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by chulo
I`m recording Question time tonight, the BNP are on it.

Immigration is getting out of control, not just in the UK, its not also a Nationalism issue, but you can only have a certain amount of water in a bucket.

The BNP aren`t the threat they once where, we should be more concerned about the English Defence League.

I`m interested in how far the BNP are getting into mainstream politics.
There's a lot of aggro taking place from the anti-BNP lot - this programme may not get aired. Who wins?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.