Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Rabies Injections please help

Rabies Injections please help

Old Dec 7th 2008, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of light
Default Rabies Injections please help

We came to Spain in June 2007 with our 3 dogs before we came they had all their injections including Rabies on the 5th of june 2007 and it says on their passports that they do not have to have their booster until 5th of June 2010 we registered them with a local Vet in Spain andthey had their bloodtests which came back clear in February so all was ok.
Anyway as we are going back to the UK in the next couple of weeks we are going to take the dogs to the vets to get them wormed etc for the trip, but someone has told me about the 1 year rule in Spain where they have to have Rabies jabs every year, I know I have seen an article on a website that says when you first come to Spain and they have been injected in UK they allow it for 2 years not the 3 years that it says on the passport.
I want to find the website to show my vet as she is Spanish but speaks some English as we dont want any probs going back if anyone can find the article and send me the link I would be really grateful as we are panicking.I have looked on the Defra website but there is that much info on there it is not sinking I need someone with a clear head to have a look for me.
Sorry to waffle on but my head is up my bottom at the moment with all the sale of the House stuff going on.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:43 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabies Injections please help

The DEFRA website http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...info/blood.htm says,
"No further tests are required after the first test which gives a satisfactory result, provided the pet is subsequently revaccinated against rabies by the “Valid until” date on the PETS certificate, EU pet passport or third country official veterinary certificate. If there is a break in the specified vaccination programme, a further blood test will be required after re-vaccination and the six month wait."
If your dogs' passports say that the rabies jabs are valid until June 2010 and you already have had blood tests to show the jabs took and 6 months have passed, then, as I see it your dogs are OK to re-enter the UK (as long as all the other requirements are fulfilled of course). Check with DEFRA tomorrow though for your own peace of mind.
I think it's advisable for annual rabies boosters in Spain (mine has annual boosters) but it seems to depend on the individual vaccine.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Sugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
The DEFRA website http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...info/blood.htm says,
"No further tests are required after the first test which gives a satisfactory result, provided the pet is subsequently revaccinated against rabies by the “Valid until” date on the PETS certificate, EU pet passport or third country official veterinary certificate. If there is a break in the specified vaccination programme, a further blood test will be required after re-vaccination and the six month wait."
If your dogs' passports say that the rabies jabs are valid until June 2010 and you already have had blood tests to show the jabs took and 6 months have passed, then, as I see it your dogs are OK to re-enter the UK (as long as all the other requirements are fulfilled of course). Check with DEFRA tomorrow though for your own peace of mind.
I think it's advisable for annual rabies boosters in Spain (mine has annual boosters) but it seems to depend on the individual vaccine.
They have not had a booster this year due to the fact that on the passport it says the injection is not due until 2010 still panicking but I will contact Defra, thank you
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:57 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sugarlugs
They have not had a booster this year due to the fact that on the passport it says the injection is not due until 2010 still panicking but I will contact Defra, thank you
In Spain they have to have rabies jab every year and it has to be on the same date as the previous year or just before that date.

When we arrived with our cat we too thought it was every two years as in the UK but when we took him to the vets just before his first year here we were told about the different law here. Your dogs may be OK to enter back into the UK but not for Spanish law regarding pets and rabies.

Last edited by crispy; Dec 7th 2008 at 7:59 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

We just want to be able to take our Dogs home back to the UK it was Nobivac vaccine that they had in the UK and it lasts 3 years according to their passports.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 8:24 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

This site explains it all really clearly
http://www.animalarkvets.co.uk/pets%20passport.html
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
This site explains it all really clearly
http://www.animalarkvets.co.uk/pets%20passport.html
Thank you I will print this off and take it to my vets and have given you Karma once again thank you
Old Dec 8th 2008, 7:08 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarlugs
Thank you I will print this off and take it to my vets and have given you Karma once again thank you
We were told to ignore what it said on the passport and to follow 'local custom'. This was from an english vet!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

ZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really nice

Originally Posted by crispy
In Spain they have to have rabies jab every year and it has to be on the same date as the previous year or just before that date.

When we arrived with our cat we too thought it was every two years as in the UK but when we took him to the vets just before his first year here we were told about the different law here. Your dogs may be OK to enter back into the UK but not for Spanish law regarding pets and rabies.
The law in Spain states that cats and dogs must be rabies vaccinated annually.

The DEFRA website states that the vaccination is valid until the due date shown on the passport, unless the animal has been resident in a country in which case the animal will be subject to the country´s rule of residence.

However when you are re-entering the UK having your documentation checked, how do they know how long you have been out of the UK and whether you have been resident in another country or not???

I did not have my cat vaccinated here in Spain within the one year, and therefore had him re-vaccinated and blood tested to be on the safe side, whether that was necessary or not I don´t know.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

Originally Posted by snikpoh
We were told to ignore what it said on the passport and to follow 'local custom'. This was from an english vet!
If you are living in Spain then have them done every year, however as the passport in relating to UK law it is valid, without further tests or boosters for either 2 or 3 years as is said on your passport.