Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Quirky/Crazy Rules in Costa Blanca

Quirky/Crazy Rules in Costa Blanca

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 5:25 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Default Quirky/Crazy Rules in Costa Blanca

You see and experience many 'odd' rules and ways during your time in a foreign country. I just got to wondering if you'd like to share your experiences in Costa Blanca with everybody ???
... maybe we can learn from / laugh about them too !!

Starters for 10:
BBQs: If you want a Gas BBQ / Patio Heater, you have to get a license (register) for the use of a Gas Bottle. They want to know what you are using it for too. Not sure but I assume it's for Health & Safety reasons !!

Sick Notes: Recently my wife was ill for 3 months - broken knee (could hardly move) BUT the local doctor could only certify her sick if she came into the surgery EVERY WEEK, just to queue for a sick note... surely a broken knee warrants some peace and rest and a sick note could have been written for at least 6 weeks !!! Crazy !!

.. hope you got a few !!! (but please not builder's stories, they're everywhere)
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 5:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quirky/Crazy Rules in Costa Blanca

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
You see and experience many 'odd' rules and ways during your time in a foreign country. I just got to wondering if you'd like to share your experiences in Costa Blanca with everybody ???
... maybe we can learn from / laugh about them too !!

Starters for 10:
BBQs: If you want a Gas BBQ / Patio Heater, you have to get a license (register) for the use of a Gas Bottle. They want to know what you are using it for too. Not sure but I assume it's for Health & Safety reasons !!

Sick Notes: Recently my wife was ill for 3 months - broken knee (could hardly move) BUT the local doctor could only certify her sick if she came into the surgery EVERY WEEK, just to queue for a sick note... surely a broken knee warrants some peace and rest and a sick note could have been written for at least 6 weeks !!! Crazy !!

.. hope you got a few !!! (but please not builder's stories, they're everywhere)
Think your BBQ episode is the same anywhere in Spain. You have to have a contract for gas, and you have to ensure that your connections and tubing is changed every 5 years. The tubing has an expiry date and, yes it is H&S, using a cracked gas tube could be somewhat dangerous. Don't really think that is that quirky.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Joe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud of

Agree with Mike - nothing quirky about controlling the use of gas bottles. I would be a lot more concerned if nothing was in place.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 6:36 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Joe King
Agree with Mike - nothing quirky about controlling the use of gas bottles. I would be a lot more concerned if nothing was in place.
Agreed - good on H&S grounds but I think it's quirky because I don't remember doing that in the UK where I lived and no-one checks anyway or asks for the paperwork when you go for a new bottle. !!!

So have you got any quirky stories or do you just want to spoil the fun - lighten up!!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Joe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud of

Agreed - good on H&S grounds but I think it's quirky because I don't remember doing that in the UK where I lived and no-one checks anyway or asks for the paperwork when you go for a new bottle. !!!

So have you got any quirky stories or do you just want to spoil the fun - lighten up!!
Not wanting to spoil your fun, but you will need to check your household insurance cover - we were specifically told that if we used gas bottles the house and appliances had to be checked and approved. The onus is on you not the bottle supplier.

On that point be wary of anyone who turns up at your door claiming to be there to check gas appliances - it is a well known scam on the Costa Blanca. Get Repsol in.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

keddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant future

I had a swimming pool put in and they charged extra for the hole!!!!!! which was not inclusive in the initial quote. Typical, you only find out when they have installed it!!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Unlikely that in the UK you would have RUBBER tubing in the house, No, they don't check the paperwork when you get a new bottel, but try getting an EXTRA one, you only get one by exchange.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:52 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keddyboy
I had a swimming pool put in and they charged extra for the hole!!!!!! which was not inclusive in the initial quote. Typical, you only find out when they have installed it!!!!
Now you know why that one was 2 grand cheaper. ;-))
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:18 am
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

I find it odd that I'm asked to pay for my goods at the supermarket!!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:47 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by mikeoc
Very quirky..
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Not a rule or the Costa Blanca but... has anyone noticed that some people seem to go out of their way to park on a zebra crossing? You can have a huge stretch of road that's available to park on but there is always someone parked on a zebra crossing..

hehe
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 2:39 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Not a rule or the Costa Blanca but... has anyone noticed that some people seem to go out of their way to park on a zebra crossing?
Now Spanish Driving is Quirky - sometimes they actually use their indicators !! and if you're lucky they may choose the correct lane when using a roundabout. I believe running over dogs, cats and rabbits is s hobby of theirs.

Car Wash: Here you are not allowed to sit in the car when going through a car wash - it makes sense really as what if it broke down.

Furniture: When we had our new furniture, white goods delivered THEY ACTUALLY unpacked everything, fitted it (including ceiling lights), plumbed in the washer AND took the rubbish away! That never happened to me in the UK.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 3:58 pm
Concierge

Now Spanish Driving is Quirky - sometimes they actually use their indicators !! and if you're lucky they may choose the correct lane when using a roundabout. I believe running over dogs, cats and rabbits is s hobby of theirs.

Car Wash: Here you are not allowed to sit in the car when going through a car wash - it makes sense really as what if it broke down.

Furniture: When we had our new furniture, white goods delivered THEY ACTUALLY unpacked everything, fitted it (including ceiling lights), plumbed in the washer AND took the rubbish away! That never happened to me in the UK.
The Furniture thing I think is a great idea, were a bit surprised ourselves when it happened to us.

Official rules using a roundabout is to drive in the outside lane no matter what exit you want, the inside one is for overtaking.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:20 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeoc
Take it from me....................if you don't, they do tend to look down on it!!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Not only in Costa Blanca. But regarding furniture, why do you need good mental arithmatic skills or a calculator just to buy a bed??
We visited loads of places today hoping to buy a standard 135x 180 double bed as we have visitors arriving next month.
As seems the custom in most Spanish furniture stores items are not price tagged, and you have to ask an assistant "how much is this?"

Now with beds it appears that the answer to this question is to first give the price of the headboard only then you ask "is that the price for everything?" They will reply "no, the headboard is €xxx, the bottom (foot?) board is €xxx and the side rails are €xx each"
"Ok "you say after adding it all up. "Is that it then, €xxx for the bed complete?"
They will then ask. "Do you want the base to lay the mattress on? they are €xx"
By this time you just want to scream at the woman. For christs sake, How many people just buy the side rails? Just give me your price for the whole bed!!

After jumping through all these hoops numerous times in various stores and suffering from mental arithmatic breakdown, we finally agreed to buy the bed my wife and I both liked

We added the prices of all the bits and pieces together and even chose a mattress to go with it

"Right I says, we want this one, when can you deliver it?"

"Delivery time is 60-90 days" she says :curse:
Looks like the blow up beds are comming out of the cupboard again

Last edited by big wheels; Oct 23rd 2007 at 10:43 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.