Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Questions re driving car into Spain (don't want to import)

Questions re driving car into Spain (don't want to import)

Old Aug 24th 2019, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions re driving car into Spain (don't want to import)

Fred, isnt it a road traffic offence to drive with no tax / mot / insurance tho? they could surely enforce those rules and fine people / take away the cars for that reason?
Old Aug 24th 2019, 12:20 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

The Police often have a purge in and around Torrevieja. They target cars with foreign plates and any looking in poor condition. They check their status, illegal cars are confiscated and crushed.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 1:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Road tax is a matter between you and the town hall. Most of these illegal cars have some form of insurance and not having a UK mot is going to confuse them. It used to be possible to get an ITV on a UK car but I’m not sure you can do that now.

Yes, in some areas the police are having the occasional crackdown but overall it isn’t significant otherwise you wouldn’t see so many obviously illegal cars. Vans are very common because you cannot reregister them if RHD.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 1:56 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you cannot register RHD Campervans or Caravans in Spain either?

Foreign registered cars seem to be increasing in the UK. I often wonder how many of those are legal? I wonder if it is too much trouble for the UK authorities to check status & chase fines?
Old Aug 24th 2019, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Foreign registered cars seem to be increasing in the UK. I often wonder how many of those are legal? I wonder if it is too much trouble for the UK authorities to check status & chase fines?
No different to Spanish authorities checking UK registered vehicles and dealing with them. There is a lot of tourism in the UK as well as immigrants, in fact the brexiteers are using tourism as a bonus of the weak pound! Obviously part of the grand plan that they failed to inform us of. I am confused as to why foreign registered cars should believed to be illegal? Many I see in UK are near brand new and just as likely to be legal as UK cars are in Spain. Why would you assume authorities (I presume police) would be deterred from checking and dealing with illegal issues? Doesn't make sense to me,
Old Aug 24th 2019, 3:19 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by bobd22
No different to Spanish authorities checking UK registered vehicles and dealing with them. There is a lot of tourism in the UK as well as immigrants, in fact the brexiteers are using tourism as a bonus of the weak pound! Obviously part of the grand plan that they failed to inform us of. I am confused as to why foreign registered cars should believed to be illegal? Many I see in UK are near brand new and just as likely to be legal as UK cars are in Spain. Why would you assume authorities (I presume police) would be deterred from checking and dealing with illegal issues? Doesn't make sense to me,
I did not say foreign registered cars were illegal. I was merely making an observation that there is an equivalent situation with an increasing number of foreign registered vehicles in the UK. I am aware that foreign registered vehicles are subject to checks in the UK and several have been detained. However, resources are limited and IMHO quite rightly this may not be a high priority issue for the authorities in UK, Spain or elsewhere.

I have no interest in your conspiracy theories.

Last edited by missile; Aug 24th 2019 at 4:09 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile

Foreign registered cars seem to be increasing in the UK. I often wonder how many of those are legal?
Rather than accusing me of conspiracy theories ? Maybe you should look at what you said which I've quoted? I simply asked a simple polite question.

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015/...ered-vehicles/

Last edited by bobd22; Aug 24th 2019 at 11:06 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 11:17 pm
Started off with nothing

Rather than accusing me of conspiracy theories ? ….. I simply asked a simple polite question..../
If the cap fits -
......…. brexiteers are using tourism as a bonus of the weak pound! Obviously part of the grand plan that they failed to inform us of. ...,
& very few of your posts are polite

Last edited by missile; Aug 24th 2019 at 11:24 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 11:46 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

For goodness sake.

Thread closed.

Rosemary