Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Questions re driving car into Spain (don't want to import)

Questions re driving car into Spain (don't want to import)

Old Jul 12th 2019, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Dixie2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions re driving car into Spain (don't want to import)

All

A subject for discussion:

We're moving to Tarragona next weekend and I'm driving a car down with some of the valuable stuff that didn't go in the removal van.

When I get to Tarragona, I'll park the RHD car (UK registered, taxed and insured) in the underground car park and use it only a little, as the plan is to buy a car locally.

I understand I'm allowed to use the car on the GB plate for 6 months, but does that not apply if we are resident in Spain?

It's only worth a couple of thousand and I don't particularly want to pay anything to import it or re-register it.

Thinking my options might be 1) to drive it back to the UK in the next few months and sell it to webuyanycar etc and get 1000 for it if I'm lucky or 2) take it to a dump in Spain.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Richard
Old Jul 12th 2019, 4:25 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions re driving car into Spain (don't want to import)

Hi,

We did the same. We had a VW Polo which we drove to Spain and used for a few months. We got a good offer for a cash sale to a dealer. Make sure you notify DVLA when you sell / scrap the car.
Old Jul 12th 2019, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. That's good to know. Hopefully we can part ex it for a car at a local dealers if they're interested. Though I wouldn't be expecting much..
Old Jul 13th 2019, 7:50 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

The issue is that you are required to register as resident with 90 days (3 months). Once resident, you can't drive a UK plated vehicle

So, although there is this 6-month rule, in practice, it doesn't apply to people who are moving to Spain.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
The issue is that you are required to register as resident with 90 days (3 months). Once resident, you can't drive a UK plated vehicle

So, although there is this 6-month rule, in practice, it doesn't apply to people who are moving to Spain.
To make matters worse will you be able to make yourself resident easily after Oct 31, the million dollar question. I know someone who simply drove their car back and had made an arrangement to sell it at we buy anycar.com nearest to Portsmouth and then flew straight back to Malaga. They were happier doing that .
Old Jul 13th 2019, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Sell it locally to anyone that wants it, just make sure you get a copy of their passport and send the forms into DVLA - send a letter saying that you sold it to someone that said they were moving to spain, so you dont have a current uk address for them.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all. We're down here (Tarragona), using the car rarely.

Planning to buy a local car at some point but will be selling this either to someone who wants to drive it back to the UK or to a dealer or scrap merchant. It's a bit ropey on the outside but only done 70k miles so runs great.

If anyone might be interested in the next month or two, let me know.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

You are allowed to keep a UK registered car for only 3 months now. Either drive it straight back or sell it to someone going back to the UK which is what we did. Just make sure the paperwork is done.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dixie2
All

A subject for discussion:

We're moving to Tarragona next weekend and I'm driving a car down with some of the valuable stuff that didn't go in the removal van.

When I get to Tarragona, I'll park the RHD car (UK registered, taxed and insured) in the underground car park and use it only a little, as the plan is to buy a car locally.

I understand I'm allowed to use the car on the GB plate for 6 months, but does that not apply if we are resident in Spain?

It's only worth a couple of thousand and I don't particularly want to pay anything to import it or re-register it.

Thinking my options might be 1) to drive it back to the UK in the next few months and sell it to webuyanycar etc and get 1000 for it if I'm lucky or 2) take it to a dump in Spain.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Richard
friends of ours took their rhd car to a local garage he took the car as a trade in and deposit for the car of their choice!!!
Old Aug 11th 2019, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the replies.

I'd rather part ex it but so far none of the dealers I've visited seem interested.

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 11th 2019 at 9:59 pm. Reason: removed the advert aspect
Old Aug 12th 2019, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it might depend on how much money you were thinking of spending with them 😉

The smaller your budget the less interested they are likely to be in taking in a right hooker for px.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

These were big dealers and it was for a whole chunk of money so I was surprised they didn't at least make an effort.

I'm going to take it to the Spanish equivalent of webuyanypileofcrap.com and see what they say.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 6:45 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You would possibly get on better selling in an area where more Brits live?
Old Aug 12th 2019, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
You would possibly get on better selling in an area where more Brits live?
great idea
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Rorypens is an unknown quantity at this point

Would the same (3 month limit) apply to someone on say a touring holiday? I.e. if you were not wanting to stay as a resident just say a 5 month tiring holiday? Am thinking about a trip to review many potential locations for eventual retirement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.