Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Questions about Benalmadena

Questions about Benalmadena

Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice
Default Questions about Benalmadena

Greetings All, first time poster with some questions about the Benalmadena area.

I am a teacher currently living in North Spain and have been offered an interview at Benalmadena International College. To prepare myself for the interview I am trying to gain some information about the school and area.

Specifically;

What is the reputation of the school? Does anybody know what the pay is like? What is the cost of living like in the area, in comparison to the rest of Spain? What is the availability of housing like?

Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance, any advice is helpful.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about Benalmadena

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram
Greetings All, first time poster with some questions about the Benalmadena area.

I am a teacher currently living in North Spain and have been offered an interview at Benalmadena International College. To prepare myself for the interview I am trying to gain some information about the school and area.

Specifically;

What is the reputation of the school? Does anybody know what the pay is like? What is the cost of living like in the area, in comparison to the rest of Spain? What is the availability of housing like?

Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance, any advice is helpful.
JDR who lives in Benalmadena will surely be along soon to give you all the info you want.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

Thanks, and thanks RK for the private message but I cannot view it until I have made 3 posts?? Here´s number 2
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, and thanks RK for the private message but I cannot view it until I have made 3 posts?? Here´s number 2

Ah, sorry, Join in on one of the nonsense threads on Siesta Time (link above) then the posts don'thave to be so "meaningful"
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, I have now read your message. What school are you at? (If you dont mind me asking?).
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:57 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Mrsjdr worked there a few years ago as a gym coach, it may of changed a bit since then, but I am sure she will post when she sees the thread.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Zaragozaram and welcome to BE, as jdr said above, I worked at the school but it was about 7 years ago when the new building was being done, I always found the staff friendly and the children well behaved. I cannot comment on how it is now as I believe staff have changed, but do know some people whose children go there and they are very happy with the level of education.

With regards to pay, I was on a different pay scale to the full time teachers and the rates will have no doubt changed by now.

Go along for interview and see for yourself, as regards living near the coast, of course rentals etc., are more than inland, but I am sure you will find something slightly inland cheaper and the journey to and from the coast would not be too long for you

Good Luck
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info. Is looking quite positive at the moment. Family and I would prefer to be away from the coast so any info about areas to live would be appreciated. Something Spanish is preferred.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Just to update everybody, I took the job and have rented a property on Alhaurin El Grande, starting from July.

Thanks to all of you who passed on advice
Old May 19th 2009, 2:26 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to get feedback, good luck.

AEG is full of Brits and there are a lot of bad comments about it...take care.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Having seen Alhaurin EG on a couple of occasions, it looks very nice. I appreciate that there is a large international community there, but more so than anywhere else on the Costa?

What are the negative aspects that you allude to?
Old May 19th 2009, 3:42 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I have only been there a few times too so I don't have any personal experience of the place. Maybe others on here have. So, just hearsay and stuff read on forums, could be rumour. Brits have a bad reputation there, Brit bars with drugs and fighting. Lots of low life Brits moved there.
Old May 19th 2009, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I didnt read your previous post properly. I'm sure AEG will be a good choice

Last edited by cricketman; May 19th 2009 at 4:26 pm. Reason: should read better
Old May 19th 2009, 6:18 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Having seen Alhaurin EG on a couple of occasions, it looks very nice. I appreciate that there is a large international community there, but more so than anywhere else on the Costa?

What are the negative aspects that you allude to?

I live in the next town along, Alhaurin de la Torre, which is more Spanish than El grande. El grandes reputation is worse than it really is in my opinion. I think there have been instances in the past with british youths, fighting late at night with either themselves or the spanish youths. On the whole it is a busy, bustling town with more than its fair share of British, but that doesnt make it bad. I like it there, it has a nice fish n chip shop and some nice bars and shops.

The problem you may have is that the main road between El Grande and Benalmadena is closed for repairs for a year! So your journey time will be at least 45 plus mins, until its open again!!

Jo xx

Last edited by jojojojojojojojojojojojo; May 19th 2009 at 6:20 pm.
Old May 19th 2009, 6:24 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

...... BTW, my kids go to the international school in Cartama, a much better school in my opinion LOL but then I would say that wouldnt I!!!

Jo xx