Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Question about jokes.

Question about jokes.

Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about jokes.

Originally Posted by jdr
The carpet sellers are Marocs.
Ah, never seen them
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:12 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Ah, never seen them
Bulls**t..........

Of course you have seen them.

They are usually retangular, in different colours to match your furniture.

Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
So which ones are your faves?

Apparently a lot can be told about ones personality by the type of Prings they like best.

Sour cream and chive.. Ha Ha. Wonder what you'll make of that:-)

BTW my Dad used to speak Esperanto! He might have been the only one who did! (joke) He'd have been about 90 now if he was alive. So I reckon you could say it's died out. Shame really. what a nice idea for us all to have just a little knowledge of each other's languages.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:45 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr

BTW my Dad used to speak Esperanto! He might have been the only one who did! (joke) He'd have been about 90 now if he was alive. So I reckon you could say it's died out. Shame really. what a nice idea for us all to have just a little knowledge of each other's languages.
Languages are fascinating, and to learn a language is to see the world thru another person's eyes as it were.

The differences never cease to amuse me.

For example, Spanish and English cross their fingers for luck, Germans squeeze their thumbs.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:50 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Mine too.......

And your dad would have understood "toma y daca" then.

Esperanto must be spoken somewhere, and where did your dad learn it?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:05 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Languages are fascinating, and to learn a language is to see the world thru another person's eyes as it were.

The differences never cease to amuse me.

For example, Spanish and English cross their fingers for luck, Germans squeeze their thumbs.
The most offensive thing you can do in Germany is the Nazi salute, closely followed by forming a circle with your thumb and forefinger. You can get nicked for both.

We’re a bit more liberal in the UK, sticking up two fingers might get you a black eye, but you won’t get nicked for it.

Languages are a minefield, ‘brown bread’ means nothing outside the East End, in Hackney it means you’re dead.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
The most offensive thing you can do in Germany is the Nazi salute, closely followed by forming a circle with your thumb and forefinger. You can get nicked for both.

We’re a bit more liberal in the UK, sticking up two fingers might get you a black eye, but you won’t get nicked for it.

Languages are a minefield, ‘brown bread’ means nothing outside the East End, in Hackney it means you’re dead.
Do you mean as in "the OK gesture"?

I can understand getting nicked for this gesture if the circle made by thumb and forefinger is circuling a certain part of your body.

And if you are waving it at the local police, while pissed and shouting "good Consternoon Aftable"
Old Mar 12th 2011, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Mine too.......

And your dad would have understood "toma y daca" then.

Esperanto must be spoken somewhere, and where did your dad learn it?
Well I don't, so perhaps you'd better explain! :-)
I don't know where he learned it from, but Dad was a bit of a collector of language. He certainly knew enough of most European languages, alive and dead, (that's the language... Not my dad;-)) to make himself understood. Or at least to answer cryptic crossword clues!
He also liked to use the similarities and differences to make jokes containing more than one language wherever possible. This was hilariously funny to us, his children. But left some people wondering if he was just a little crazy.
He usually had the better of these conversations.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:05 pm
Banned

Well I don't, so perhaps you'd better explain! :-)
I don't know where he learned it from, but Dad was a bit of a collector of language. He certainly knew enough of most European languages, alive and dead, (that's the language... Not my dad;-)) to make himself understood. Or at least to answer cryptic crossword clues!
He also liked to use the similarities and differences to make jokes containing more than one language wherever possible. This was hilariously funny to us, his children. But left some people wondering if he was just a little crazy.
He usually had the better of these conversations.
I cant remember what it was now, I put it in an online translator and that is the translation into Esperanto.
I can tell you though that most likely it is something RUDE...

As I have never known anyone who speaks Esperanto, I wonder if they are or were thought of as a rare species, and regarded as nutters or not.

And is anyone still learning it, or is it like mangles, not relevant anymore?
?

Last edited by JLFS; Mar 12th 2011 at 11:08 pm.