Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Question about Health Care

Question about Health Care

Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice
Default Question about Health Care

I know this has been covered many times, but I am still unsure about what to do...
Husband going back and forth from Uk, so covered by UK Health Service
I will be staying full-time in Spain with 8 year old. I won't be working. What exactly do I need to do about for medical care? Also, would my records need to be transferred to Spain?

Any advice appreciated
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

CarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud of
Default Re: Question about Health Care

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
I know this has been covered many times, but I am still unsure about what to do...
Husband going back and forth from Uk, so covered by UK Health Service
I will be staying full-time in Spain with 8 year old. I won't be working. What exactly do I need to do about for medical care? Also, would my records need to be transferred to Spain?

Any advice appreciated

Hi there. I am fairly sure that you will only get free medical care over here if you are paying into the Spanish system - ie working. You will most likely have to pay for private cover. Not what you wanted to hear, but there it is I'm afraid. We are in the process of trying to get our health care sorted out and we came over with E121 forms so everything is supposed to be free. It all takes time !!!! Good luck
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

caroland tony, is the E121 for emergency treatment?
What about my 8 year old, would he get free medical care. I have to register him at a Doctors as part of the school registration process.
Can I still keep registered at my UK Doctor if I take out a private health plan for myself?
so many questions I know! I have read a few posts about it but am still unsure about it all.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

CarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
caroland tony, is the E121 for emergency treatment?
What about my 8 year old, would he get free medical care. I have to register him at a Doctors as part of the school registration process.
Can I still keep registered at my UK Doctor if I take out a private health plan for myself?
so many questions I know! I have read a few posts about it but am still unsure about it all.
The E121 is the form issued by Newcastle for people of pensionable age to receive free treatment and meds. You should have an E111 card that you carry with you whenever you travel in Europe. This entitles you to free Emergency treatment. Once you are over here and settled in a property (ie registered with the local town hall etc) you should be able to take your E111 and Padron (from Town Hall) to your local health centre. They should then issue you both with temp SIP cards that will allow you to receive medical treatment, but you will not get free prescriptions. The temp cards have to be renewed every 6 months. Anyone with an E121 should eventually get their temp SIPS replaced with permanent ones that give free prescriptions and they can then claim back any money spent on meds prior to that.

Take care though, because these procedures may vary in different areas. I can vouch for it in Valencia because we just got our temp cards today.

Tony
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to take out private cover as Your EHI cards will only cover for emergencies while on holiday.
As you are not a pensioner or not working and paying into the system you will not be covered for free treatment.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Tony thanks for that.
So If I am reading correctly....Myself and Son once settled in house will get a SIP card (the school asked for that) which would get us healthcare, but no prescriptions? I am not pensionable age, so I should get us all an E111 card (including husband)?

Can I then just keep registered at my local doctors in the UK (using my sons address)? Or would mine and sons records need to be transferred?
Also, where do I get the E111 cards?
And, what is the cost of a prescription in Valencia...or does it vary?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:30 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/sa29/medical_13.asp
It would seem that using Form E109 you will be able to receive free healthcare in Spain.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hillybilly thanks for that, I hadn't heard of that before.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Have a read of
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/sa29/medical_13.asp
It would seem that using Form E109 you will be able to receive free healthcare in Spain.
Well that a good bit of info.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

I have a list to phone when I am ready to move healthcare/tax/pension. Healthcare advice can be obtained on 0191 218 1999