Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Question about benifits whilst in spain

Question about benifits whilst in spain

Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

jimmy1409 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about benifits whilst in spain

hi, i need to go to spain to look after my mother who is unwell, im currently recieving child tax credits and disability for one of my children whom is disabled, in the uk, i would love to go and care for my mum until she recovers but how long would i be able to stay without losing the benifits im entitled to here, i dont want to go to spain and people think im living the high life claiming here and living there as that would not be the case im hopeing to be in spain for around 3/4 months and do a day a week of volountry work just so im giving something to the spanish commuinity whilst there, is this possible as? i cant afford to lose the benifits my children are entitled to here.

Last edited by jimmy1409; Jun 6th 2010 at 12:51 pm. Reason: changed title.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 1:10 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about benifits whilst in spain

Originally Posted by jimmy1409
hi, i need to go to spain to look after my mother who is unwell, im currently recieving child tax credits and disability for one of my children whom is disabled, in the uk, i would love to go and care for my mum until she recovers but how long would i be able to stay without losing the benifits im entitled to here, i dont want to go to spain and people think im living the high life claiming here and living there as that would not be the case im hopeing to be in spain for around 3/4 months and do a day a week of volountry work just so im giving something to the spanish commuinity whilst there, is this possible as? i cant afford to lose the benifits my children are entitled to here.
As far as I know, if the childrens other parent or you are not paying into the UK tax or NI system or claiming benefits of your own, then you cant claim anything for the children once they leave the UK. There isnt really an equivilant in Spain

Jo xxx
Old Jun 6th 2010, 1:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

They are coming for a long holiday in effect though arent they, they arent coming here to live / reside. And some disability benefits are transferrable if they did move here afaik

Is there a partner who is staying in the UK?
Old Jun 6th 2010, 1:20 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
They are coming for a long holiday in effect though arent they, they arent coming here to live / reside. And some disability benefits are transferrable if they did move here afaik

True, but I'll bet theres a time limit???? If so, depends how long that is???????

Jo xx
Old Jun 6th 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

have a look on direct.gov.uk should get all the info you need there

Old Jun 6th 2010, 1:43 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

yes, some disability benefits are transferable

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...s/uk-benefits/
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
True, but I'll bet theres a time limit???? If so, depends how long that is???????

Jo xx
This is true, because of course in theory after 90 days you should be looking to sign on the foreigners list!
Old Jun 6th 2010, 8:30 pm
Banned

crustycrab is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yes, some disability benefits are transferable

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...s/uk-benefits/
The Care componant is exportable but not the mobility componant. If you did end up living in Spain on a permanant basis then you would be able to export your childs DLA (care only). I live in Spain on a permanant basis and because I have been on LTIB since 1996, I was able to export this as well as my CTC and CB. My ex-husband also lives elsewhere in Spain.

Always best to check with the DWP if you intend to "visit" Spain as there is a time limit on how long you can stay without it affecting your benefits. With some benefits, even if you leave UK for 1 day the DWP say you need to tell them.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 8:35 pm
Banned

crustycrab is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
As far as I know, if the childrens other parent or you are not paying into the UK tax or NI system or claiming benefits of your own, then you cant claim anything for the children once they leave the UK. There isnt really an equivilant in Spain

Jo xxx
There is a "Child Benefit" equivilant in Spain but it really isn't worth the paperwork it's written on. Also I think you have to have paid into the Spainish system for a certain amount of time before you can claim any benefits here in Spain.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

That's impossible to answer on the brief description of your situation.
You are allowed to continue to claim but your personal circumstances will define the time.
However, as it is not clear whether you want to come on your own or bring the family and also how your Disability payments are comprised.
Anyway, do you have a distrust of the DWP not to call and ask them, they are generally very nice helpful people.