Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Query re health insurance

Query re health insurance

Old Apr 7th 2024, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Query re health insurance

I live in a small village with a health centre (mornings only, emergency 24/7 is 8kms away) and we can get an appointment the same day.

I have been waiting for an operation and now after 3 months I have the 'Plan Choque' option so I opted (from a long list) which private hospital I wanted to go to and I now have an appointment with them and expect the operation soon. No complaints!

My neighbours have just cancelled their ASSA policies based on them being 285€ a month and they have now refused cover on a problem they were covering - they will now rely on their SIPs cards (National Health Valencia)
Old Apr 7th 2024, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

https://elpais.com/espana/andalucia/...d-publica.html

Big demonstrations in Sevilla and Granada today about public health care.
Average wait is 20 days to see your doctor and 1 million people waiting for surgery. ( Andalusia)

Last edited by 1sexsmith; Apr 7th 2024 at 3:51 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2024, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I am sure the waiting times are longer for more routine things, I have now been waiting 2 months for a consultation with an opthalmologist re cataracts but expected that.
My appointment for the Opthalmology consultation at our local hospital about my cataracts has just come through, it is for 15 May which will be 3.5 months since the referral was made by my GP, I quite expected to have to wait longer.
Old Apr 24th 2024, 3:22 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

My appointment for the Opthalmology consultation at our local hospital about my cataracts has just come through, it is for 15 May which will be 3.5 months since the referral was made by my GP, I quite expected to have to wait longer.
My wife has been waiting since last October so it's 7 months and counting (Valencia province). The optician notice that she has lost 60% of her sight in the last 6 months (prior to October) so I suspect it's quite urgent!
Old Apr 24th 2024, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
My wife has been waiting since last October so it's 7 months and counting (Valencia province). The optician notice that she has lost 60% of her sight in the last 6 months (prior to October) so I suspect it's quite urgent!
I hope she gets her appointment soon. My optician told me at the end of November 2023 that I had cataracts. He said they were only small but advised me to see my doctor and ask for a referral to Opthalmology to "get into the system", as it were, for monitoring. I didn't rush to see the GP straight away so the referral wasn't done until 30 January 2024. So I would be surprised if they put me on the waiting list for cataract removal surgery at the moment, I would expect them to be more likely to say we will see you again in six months or even a year to see how they have progressed.

I read a report in a Málaga newspaper a week or so ago which said 552 people are on the waiting list for cataract surgery at my local hospital, 37 of them have been waiting for over a year. I won't mind waiting a year if there is no clinical need for me to be operated on sooner. However, the report said the JdeA's new Plan de Choque aims to reduce the waiting list by 60% by the end of this year, so vamos a ver.

My appointment for this initial consultation is at 17.45 so it is obviously part of the relatively new initiative to expand the hours for outpatient appointments, as happened with my last cardiology appointment and also GP appointments being offered for afternoon sessions at our health centre.

Last edited by Lynn R; Apr 24th 2024 at 5:33 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2024, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope she gets her appointment soon. My optician told me at the end of November 2023 that I had cataracts. He said they were only small but advised me to see my doctor and ask for a referral to Opthalmology to "get into the system", as it were, for monitoring. I didn't rush to see the GP straight away so the referral wasn't done until 30 January 2024. So I would be surprised if they put me on the waiting list for cataract removal surgery at the moment, I would expect them to be more likely to say we will see you again in six months or even a year to see how they have progressed.

I read a report in a Málaga newspaper a week or so ago which said 552 people are on the waiting list for cataract surgery at my local hospital, 37 of them have been waiting for over a year. I won't mind waiting a year if there is no clinical need for me to be operated on sooner. However, the report said the JdeA's new Plan de Choque aims to reduce the waiting list by 60% by the end of this year, so vamos a ver.

My appointment for this initial consultation is at 17.45 so it is obviously part of the relatively new initiative to expand the hours for outpatient appointments, as happened with my last cardiology appointment and also GP appointments being offered for afternoon sessions at our health centre.
I have been having injections in my eye at the same hospital for the last 3 years Lynn. I go every couple of months. It can be very busy but should be ok at time you are going. You have to be a bit proactive once you get there and catch a nurse coming out of one of the rooms and hand them your appointment slip. If it's not the right room they will tell you which room so you can catch someone coming out of there. There isn't a receptionist in the opthalmology department and there are a number of different rooms. They told me I had a small cataract and used to mention it every visit but for last 18 months have never mentioned it. I presume it's slight and they are treating the eye problem I have the injections for first. Although it's a busy department they are very good and helpful .
​​​
​​​
​​
Old Apr 25th 2024, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I know I have different experiences with my health service compared to others. All I wished to say is that while it is often good the same can be said for NHS and I feel the blanket myth that the Spanish healthcare is so superior is not necessarily the case and can often be distorted for various reasons ( namely language). Yesterday I went for a blood test. There was the usual queue which is fine but I had waited 3 weeks. Anyway as soon as I presented my paper for the required test the nurse asked for my urine sample. I told her that I hadn't been told to do that and had not been provided with the receptacle. She told me I would need to make another appointment. I was really angry and told them to give me the required plastic container. They then said they didn't have any and that I was basically stupid for not knowing this and it said so on the paper. I pointed out it didn't say so - it simply says that you need to deposit the container when you have one ( it is a generic message). I pointed out it was only a cholesterol test so my doctor didn't need urine. Anyway it was an unpleasant experience and as I carried it out in Spanish I can assure you they are not friendly or polite but speak in quite a demeaning tone. They do this because if you aren't speaking fluent Spanish it sounds to them as if you someone who might have some socio economic problems etc. South American immigrants get similar treatment. The thing is unless you speak Spanish you won't notice this. They certainly don't say clichéd things like " oh god bless him...he is trying to speak Spanish" - people never say that. Anyway eventually I got to see the doctor and he said I didn't need a urine test and that of course there were containers - so it was eventually ok but it certainly was not what I consider a sign of everything being fantastic. I know it is people under stress and there alot of folk there but there is one level of reality you might experience as a foreigner and then another as you get more integrated which ( just as UK) leads you to see all the little flaws.
​​​​​​
​​​​

Last edited by 1sexsmith; Apr 25th 2024 at 9:50 am.
Old Apr 25th 2024, 10:14 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

That may be your experience but there are many international surveys that place the Spanish health service way ahead of the UK.

You must have been unlucky. My GP speaks English fluently, and I have found that 90% of my (many) hospital consultations have been in English.
Old Apr 25th 2024, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
That may be your experience but there are many international surveys that place the Spanish health service way ahead of the UK.

You must have been unlucky. My GP speaks English fluently, and I have found that 90% of my (many) hospital consultations have been in English.
I have no idea if my doctor speaks English but even if he did I feel that that is not part of his job but that it is mine to speak Spanish or ( provide employment) have a translator. As for for surveys I don't know but I have provided links to Spanish media that highlights Spanish people's concerns about public healthcare ( as is the case in UK).
Old Apr 25th 2024, 10:41 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Of course Spanish people have concerns about public healthcare (which country doesn't?) If I fell ill in the UK it would be quicker to fly to Spain and go to my local Urgencias than try and see someone in UK A&E.
Old Apr 25th 2024, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
Of course Spanish people have concerns about public healthcare (which country doesn't?) If I fell ill in the UK it would be quicker to fly to Spain and go to my local Urgencias than try and see someone in UK A&E.
I am sorry but I find saying things like this just creates the myth that the UK is so third world when it comes to healthcare. I can assure you that if you go to emergencies in Torrevieja ( where I live) hospital you will wait a number of hours and I am certain the same occurs in places like Madrid and Alicante. I have been in Spain on off for over 25 years. My wife's family lived here and we have been to the doctors and hospitals many many times - especially when my mother law was having cancer treatment. I really wouldn't say that Spain was really better or worse than UK but would simply argue that if you aren't Spanish your perception of healthcare is simply personal whereas in UK you are totally integrated into the country so glean much information about health care and the state it is in.
Old Apr 25th 2024, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I can only go by the treatment I personally have received in both UK and Spain my experience of both was positive. It depends on where one lives and receives their treatment it would seem in both countries. Language can be an issue but generally at my local hospital I can get by as many of the doctors speak better English than me. I did once get a doctor and nurse that spoke no English and asked the doctor to speak slowly as my Spanish is far from great. We got by no problems and she said to the nurse at least he tries to speak Spanish ..so again probably different attitudes dependant on location. Our local hospital also has a number of volunteer translators that can assist either via phone or in person. One can only speak as they find.
Old Apr 25th 2024, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bobd22
I have been having injections in my eye at the same hospital for the last 3 years Lynn. I go every couple of months. It can be very busy but should be ok at time you are going. You have to be a bit proactive once you get there and catch a nurse coming out of one of the rooms and hand them your appointment slip. If it's not the right room they will tell you which room so you can catch someone coming out of there. There isn't a receptionist in the opthalmology department and there are a number of different rooms. They told me I had a small cataract and used to mention it every visit but for last 18 months have never mentioned it. I presume it's slight and they are treating the eye problem I have the injections for first. Although it's a busy department they are very good and helpful .
​​​
​​​
​​
Thanks, that's good to know. I am used to the system of having to wait for a nurse to come out of the room and hand over my appointment slip now, Cardiology and Gynaecology operate in just the same way. In fact the only departments I've been to which have a dedicated reception desk are Radiology and Traumatology. Up until a couple of years ago when they relocated to a new lower ground floor area, Traumatology used to be chaotic with big groups of people milling around doors trying to catch the attention of a nurse, and you could be sure of having to be there for hours. But in their new location, with a separate entrance direct from the car park at the back of the hospital, it has really been transformed. Not only do they have a reception desk which always has two receptionists on duty, but if you are going for a planned appointment you don't even need to wait to speak to one, there is also a machine next to reception which you put your tarjeta sanitaria into and it reads your appointment details and prints out a ticket with your patient reference number on so you just take a seat (which there are a lot more of now) and wait for the number to come up on the screen. I had to go for about half a dozen appointments last year when I broke my wrist and shoulder, and never had to wait more than a few minutes beyond my appointment time although it is always very busy.

Last edited by Lynn R; Apr 25th 2024 at 4:07 pm.
Old May 15th 2024, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I do hope your wife has at least got a date for her Opthalmology appointment by now.

I went for mine earlier this evening and much to my surprise (because I didn't think my cataracts would be at the stage when they'd be prepared to operate yet) I was put on the waiting list for cataract removal surgery on my left eye (the right to follow at a later date). I was told it was likely to be in 4 months, so should be September. I don't think that wait is at all unreasonable and it's not classed as urgent, just "normal". Was also prescribed eye drops to use every night until immediately before the surgery. Not looking forward to it, but if it needs doing, needs must.

The opthalmologist spoke perfect English, without me asking her to, but the two nurses who did the preliminary tests only spoke Spanish, wasn't a problem and they very obligingly took care to speak clearly and slowly.
Old May 16th 2024, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
I
This means they either have to pay monthly for the private or go without until they apply for the convenio....
I don't believe monthly cover is possible.

Even if paid monthly ​​​​​most policies, will be for a full year.