Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pussycat pussycat....

Pussycat pussycat....

Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

KnockCollins will become famous soon enough
Default Pussycat pussycat....

Hi all, whilst going out for lunch on Sunday at Restaurante Sindhura, nr Patria (excellent Roast Lamb and Beef lunch btw, although they need a lil lesson in yorkshire puddings!), I, on a whim, agreed to take in a kitten - around three months - who'd been abandoned at the side of a motorway and brought into them. She's been with us (currently named Rosita 'Rosy') since Sunday and as beautiful as she is, so loving, playful, no meeowing at night, our 1.5 year old siamese cross, Baggy, is desperately unhappy with the situation and won't come out of our bedroom and I can't bear it! Sooooooooo....

I suppose what i'm asking for is either a) top tips to get them integrate or b) would anyone like a lovely tiger like pussycat? I'm loathe to move her again, and Sindhura have said we can take her back if it doesn't work out, but there's a local dog that like to kill cats (?!) so i can't bear to take her back there.....

Any thoughts welcome, it's all quite upsetting!

Thanks

C.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Pussycat pussycat....

Sorry, I should say, we're in Chiclana.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KnockCollins
Hi all, whilst going out for lunch on Sunday at Restaurante Sindhura, nr Patria (excellent Roast Lamb and Beef lunch btw, although they need a lil lesson in yorkshire puddings!), I, on a whim, agreed to take in a kitten - around three months - who'd been abandoned at the side of a motorway and brought into them. She's been with us (currently named Rosita 'Rosy') since Sunday and as beautiful as she is, so loving, playful, no meeowing at night, our 1.5 year old siamese cross, Baggy, is desperately unhappy with the situation and won't come out of our bedroom and I can't bear it! Sooooooooo....

I suppose what i'm asking for is either a) top tips to get them integrate or b) would anyone like a lovely tiger like pussycat? I'm loathe to move her again, and Sindhura have said we can take her back if it doesn't work out, but there's a local dog that like to kill cats (?!) so i can't bear to take her back there.....

Thanks

C.

Your other cat will get used to it within a week providing your older cat is neutered/snipped. Is your other cat male? If so, it will probably beat the other cat up a bit to show it who is boss.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Angry Re: Pussycat pussycat....

Both cats are female, and yes, the older one is neutered. Unfortunately it's the kitten doing the chasing of the older cat not the other way round, the older one seems terrified of the kitten, hissing at her and then making groaning noise that are normally reserved only for the arrival and departure at the cattery.....surely that's not right???

As you can tell, I'm completely inexperienced in this kind of thing, I'm sure we've introduced them to each other all wrong / the timing's all wrong, i'm a bit scared to look online for advise as my husband thinks i have an obsessive problem re getting advice on raising animals from american websites (he's probably right) but surely this forum doesn't count?!

Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Both cats are female, and yes, the older one is neutered. Unfortunately it's the kitten doing the chasing of the older cat not the other way round, the older one seems terrified of the kitten, hissing at her and then making groaning noise that are normally reserved only for the arrival and departure at the cattery.....surely that's not right???

As you can tell, I'm completely inexperienced in this kind of thing, I'm sure we've introduced them to each other all wrong / the timing's all wrong, i'm a bit scared to look online for advise as my husband thinks i have an obsessive problem re getting advice on raising animals from american websites (he's probably right) but surely this forum doesn't count?!

Nothing to worry about. They really will get used to each other. I have had some personal experience with mixing 3 cats (1 male, two female) that had never been in contact before. The male made it his mission to randomly beat up the youngest female and seemed to "respect" the older one. After a few weeks they were all on friendly/tolerant terms. In the end, tolerance may be the best you can hope for. Each cat has a unique personality and really are creatures of habit. They will settle. Don't try to force them to get together though, leave them to it.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

In time they will be okay, you need to reassure the older one that she is still important, lots of pets etcs, the kitten is too young to care she just wants to play, make sure as well when feeding that they are far enough away from each other and bit by bit move them closer together...don't rush this process they will be in a couple of weeks fine with each other and you will probably find that the older one starts to become a mother figure to the kitten...when that happens it is worth the stress
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

many thanks both for the words of reassurance, gosh i hope you're right about the mothering bit....

Re feeding, the older one has de-camped to our bedroom and won't come out so her food and litter tray is in there but because we don't want to lock one or the other away (so they start to get used to each other) the little one goes in and bothers her / eats her food....naturally when we see this we shoo her away but do you think we're doing the right thing? ie allowing the older one to have her food and litter near her in the bedroom and allowing the little one to wander in? I feel that if i lock the older one in so the little one can't bother her, she'll feel even more isolated and they'll never get used to each other but ditto if i don't put her food and litter near here she won't eat!

And don't worry, the older one is getting plenty of attention - as she always has which is probably why we're having this problem now!

and whoever is monitoring this thread, i promise i'll shut up about it now. appreciate it's not very interesting or helpful to many other people out there!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nope. Don't put her food bowl in there with her, or her litter tray. She will go for food if she is hungry enough. Also it's better for her to get used to the kitten in her own time. Separating them will just drag it on. Locking them in a room together is also not a good idea

You know what I mean

Last edited by SoJohn; Sep 11th 2007 at 12:42 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:55 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Nope. Don't put her food bowl in there with her, or her litter tray. She will go for food if she is hungry enough. Also it's better for her to get used to the kitten in her own time. Separating them will just drag it on. Locking them in a room together is also not a good idea

You know what I mean

I agree there, put the litter tray and food dish back in their usual places. Cats like routine and don't like changes. They will get used to each other in time I assure you. I have had cats for around 16 years. We have four cats at the moment. When a new cat is introduced they have to decide who is boss so let them get on with it, neither of them will come to any harm, and once that is is done, with maybe some hissing or even boxing, then they will settle down. Let us know how they get on won't you.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

ok, so all i'm reading about, putting the kitten in another room, only letting the older one see her for an hour a day and whilst the kitten's in a cat box so she can't pester her and then letting the older cat go into the kitten's room to get used to the smells blah blah blah is all a bit OTT and i'm working myself into a state? You just think normality and let them get on with it with hissing etc...is the best option and they'll get there...

I'll put the litter box back where it was then! and her food. Eek...

Thanks for all the advice and will definately let you know how we get on, maybe not on a half hourly basis though!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

ok, so all i'm reading about, putting the kitten in another room, only letting the older one see her for an hour a day and whilst the kitten's in a cat box so she can't pester her and then letting the older cat go into the kitten's room to get used to the smells blah blah blah is all a bit OTT and i'm working myself into a state? You just think normality and let them get on with it with hissing etc...is the best option and they'll get there...

I'll put the litter box back where it was then! and her food. Eek...

Thanks for all the advice and will definately let you know how we get on, maybe not on a half hourly basis though!
Yea put all back to normal place, let them both do their own thing, kitten will get a couple of warning bloody noses, they will kiss and make up in a few weeks and all will be fine ....honest...pictures please of the dueling twosome please...
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Thanks

C.
Hi, I'm new to this type of contact so hope it goes through OK. When we moved to where we are we had 2 old english cats. Within a few months we had another 3 spanish ones, now, 4 years down the line we went up to 14 then down to 8 (old ones died). We let then get on with it as with so many it was difficult to do anything else. They are all spayed etc now to ensure no more. We did give the old ones extra loving though to help then as they were 17 and 15 when the mob moved in.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cats-R-Us
Hi, I'm new to this type of contact so hope it goes through OK. When we moved to where we are we had 2 old english cats. Within a few months we had another 3 spanish ones, now, 4 years down the line we went up to 14 then down to 8 (old ones died). We let then get on with it as with so many it was difficult to do anything else. They are all spayed etc now to ensure no more. We did give the old ones extra loving though to help then as they were 17 and 15 when the mob moved in.
Your post worked fine...
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

i'm sure having two who knew each other already may have helped though? Our one, Baggy (the 'resident' one) has been so mollycoddled by us for 1.5 yrs that she's in a right old strop, i suppose because she's not used to sharing us.... Did any of your cats hiss, lock themselves away, and basically look terrified!?

and a couple of weeks?! i don't think we'll survive it!!!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Rhiannon1 will become famous soon enoughRhiannon1 will become famous soon enough

It takes time. We are on our third Spanish kitten now. In total we have five, plus three border collies all living together.
Our new addition 'Charlie' isn't bothered at all. We think he is about 10 weeks old. He walks through the dogs legs and is quite happy to sit in their beds.
Our oldest border collie follows him around the house. Just watching him. He has always been fascinated by cats. He will soon get bored with this, after a few weeks.
The other cats all keep out of the way really. The two Spanish cats, one is a Siamese, spend most of the day outside and come in just to sleep. It's a hard life
Just be patient and spend lots of time with Baggy. Let him know he is still loved. You really must try as it would be awful if you took her back and something happened.
It WILL be okay in a few weeks time they will be huddled up to eachother on those cold winter nights.
Keep us posted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.